Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Call me Oscar!

I'm almost 5 wks banded, and boy am I having a serious case of the grouches. Work has been a real challenge lately and it's really been more than I can handle with the new band and all. I'm not really sure why, but I suspect that since my coping mechanism is gone (potatoe chips, candy, etc.) and I haven't found another that I'm on melt down. I took 1/2 day vacation on Friday and plan to take another this coming Friday, just got a perscription of valium, and have tried deep breathing, but still on the edge. My question is has anyone else been here? If so how long til you got a handle on the subconcious feelings?

Everyone is different. I know it was about three months before I felt human again. I had no idea how much I had always relied on food to make me feel better- and how pissed off I was when I couldn't use my "drug" anymore.

Something that really helped me was walking. I would want to eat and i would put on my tennis shoes and go for a walk instead. I walked in the rain and the snow and sleet...anything to try to run away from what I was feeling. WHat I ended up doing was actually learning to feel again.

I'm worried about the use of valium at this point...is it really that bad? I'm just worried that you're going to replace one bad habit with another bad one...instead of a good one. Please be very careful. Remember that you're supposed to feel things...although it feels foreign it's actually normal.

I'd suggest some counseling if you can. It helped me understand that I had a right to be pissed at how I had allowed some people to treat me, some situations I had found myself in, and my response to these things.

Even though the band is around my stomach it has mostly changed my brain.

Good luck, and it will get better, I promise.

Megan

I just recently went through this problem myself. I was absolutely evil! I did some checking and found that a lack of Protein can make people irritable (sp?) ! So I started Protein Shakes (60g's) per serving. This helped me alot! Are you sure your getting enough protein?

Ummmmm.... Yeah! I think I was in denial for about 7 months. Total depression. Didn't know what to do. Even scared to lose the weight! I finally realized I am a valuable person & so worthy of this band & this weight loss! I too have replaced food (my drug of choice) with exercising - if my back allows me to. If not, I read or crochet, or I come here. This board & all the people on it have helped me more than anything! Hang in there! At least you figured this out fairly quickly! I promise, you will get better! I would be leary of the valium too at this point. Good luck to you! (((((HUGS)))))

Yes, I'm good on Protein most days, and take good Vitamins. My job is high pressure and highly visable. And I'm behaving in ways that senior management isn't used to, of course they've recently doubled my work load and I'm pissed. But the culture doesn't allow for anything but a professional can do attitudes from management. So the quick fix for me is the valium just so I don't get fired (I have 2 years til retirement). I will be careful, and only take it at work. The counseling sounds like a good idea, as does the exercise maybe I can take a couple of 10 minute walks around the building during the day. It's like realllllly bad PMS, where I know I'm being mean . .. but don't seem to care. Thanks for all of the encouragement and support.

I am also 5 weeks out, and it is so weird that the people I ate my chips, pretzels over, are really getting on my nerves. However, I am aware of it, and choose to not let it get to me. Sometimes,I feel naked without my coping tools, on which I relied on before for so many years, but a renouned sense of worth, and realization came over me, that because of my band (physically speaking) I can never overeat again, to hide the pain. Let it out there, but gently. Remember keep loving yourself, and you will always win the battle. Plus there is always someone, or something that gets under your skin. Mine, thank god is my port(ha)

Cheri

"It's like realllllly bad PMS, where I know I'm being mean . .. but don't seem to care."

LOL (i am pms'ing now!) take those walks! walk your heart out! i LOVE taking a walk to clear my head and think things through. it is theraputic. not to mention it will build your stamina and tone those legs!

if you feel like your gonna bite someones head off...take a big swallow of water!

michelle

Okay, you guys are so much better than me. I have a bad of potato chips in my office yet - but I opened it weeks ago and it is half full. I have a few when I need to cope.

If you can find the time, I suggest taking a beginner yoga class. I started one two weeks ago, and at the end of the hour I'm stress free. It's a class geared towards older people who are out of shape or recovering from an injury. If you can find a similar class in your area I highly recommend it!

Just a word of warning because I'm worried about you - valium is a very strong muscle relaxer. Don't take it at work if you're driving home. It stays in the system for at least 8 hours...

I know i sometimes feel like im losing my mind. And its hard for me to express how im feeling......i love food. I had such an attachment to it. I miss my old friend sometimes. And it is hard. I have pms so bad and i cant hide in my room pop in a movie and soothe myself with 8 or 9 tacos smotherd with cheese and sour cream. Its sucks its hard to cope with a new life style and all new eating habits. i know EXACTLY what your feeling and trust me this will pass but there are always going to be those hard times where you want to scream. My suggestion is to find a hobby even better start working out.

Good luck on your wieght loss!!!!

Kim