Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@ kyotosong: I can totally relate, I have PCOS too. It sucks.

As to why I did it, it was for a couple reasons:

1. I'm tired of sticking out like a sore thumb. I grew up overseas, and I was always taller (and wider than the local population). Now that I'm stateside, I want a chance to blend in. I want to be able to be in a crowd of people, and just not be particularly noticeable at all. I'm sick of being "the fat one". or "the big one".

2. The PCOS is still a big deal for me. I want these icky hormonal effects to go away!!

3. I want to get a non-creepy date. I'm sick of guys who are only interested in me because they couldn't find someone pretty. I know that what's inside counts the most, but who doesn't like a nice present to have pretty wrapping paper?

So yeah, my main reason was really superficial, but I look at this as a great opportunity to get healthy. I'm going to work my butt off in exchange for a longer life.

I can relate to not wanting your piture taken. My DH is an amature photographer so there is always a camera around. We have lot of pictures of the grandkids, but none of us with them. I feel that once we are gone they will have their memories of us, but no pictures to spark that special memory of what we were doing when it was taken. Another 25 lbs off and I'll be in every picture!! lol

My Mom didn't have an "overweight" problem in fact her average weight was 75-79 lbs and she was 4' 11'. She died at 52 from cancer. She never wanted her picture taken beause she was so skinny. I have one picture of her before she died and one wedding picture. It's sad, my children never knew her.

Mine too is not as moving and what a wonderfully moving story and how wonderful you stepped up!!

I was tired of tricking myself into thinking that I wasn't as big as that person or this person. I always knew I was big which is part of the reason for a lack of dating. Anyways when at work we started to compare weights to see who would be qualified I realized I was the only one that qualified! That kicked me into high gear and it took roughly three months for surgery. Among the health concerns and less than active lifestyle. I hate my clothes, my fat face(no one says at least your face is pretty), and my outlook on life! I want a new outlook and a new me! That was my motivation.

We've all been had our weight loss surgery the obvious health reasons. and a lot of us probably kicked the idea around for a lot of years. but at what moment or event did you decide.

last august was the 9th anniversary of my mom's death. god i cant believe tuesday will be 10 years since shes been gone. my mother spent her life battling weight loss and depression . she was 52 when she died and she was only 5 ft tall and well over 350lbs. my mother was an amazing person, smart , beautiful, kind. . she hated being heavy, the staring of strangers, not being able to walk more than a few feet at a time. she had rheumatoid arthritis and was in constant pain. but in the end the struggle was too much for her. she committed suicide, august 4th 1999. well i was devestated at the time, my sisters were only 8 and 15. ive raised them the last 10yrs.

well back to the point , when i looked at her picture. all i could see was my face looking back. no i wasnt as heavy as she was, but i was well on my way. i was 33 with extremely high blood pressure. the reality of my weight problem ending my life just kind of smacked me in the face. my sister that was 8 when my mom died has never gotten over her traumatic death. the idea of leaving my children and sisters over being obese scared me to death. i made an apt with a barriatric surgeon the next day. so far i've never regretted. and i often have to think how different the life of my family would have been if my mother would have had more options to her.

sorry to ramble on, i guess my moms been on my mind a lot lately. but i guess i was just thinking about my break through moment and wonder what kind of things finally motivated others into action.

omg your story breaks my heart! :) My nanny (grandmother) was the same size as your mom, a wonderful person, an excellent special ed teacher, and just a blessed person to be around. i loved her as a second mother. she died in 2001 when I was 16 from cancer, and she was only in her late 50's. I was overweight from 8+ so she always told me, "Liz baby, please don't eat like that. I do not want you to end up like me. You are so young, get this under control." My nanny never lived to see me do so. I know she can see me now of course, and I talk to her all the time, but I wish she had the resources and help I have. I wish she could've done something, anything to still have my nanny. I'm sorry you had to raise your sisters but it shows how awesome of a person you must be! I'm going to pray for you guys today near the anniversary of your mother's death. xoxo, Liz :)

I had been flip-flopping on the decision for 5 years... I would convince myself to do it and then I'd talk myself out of it. My loved ones would tell me they loved me how I was, they would worry about the risk. And so I'd put the idea aside for awhile until it came up again.

What finally got me off the fence -- my company was being acquired. I knew my existing insurance would cover it, but the new plan was an unknown to me - maybe it wouldn't.

That is what got me moving. I had planned to have the surgery before my insurance changed, which was due to happen Jan 1 of 09. I started in April of 08 thinking I had plenty of time. I jumped through all the hoops but in October Aetna denied my request. I was devastated and thought it might all be lost.

Fortunately, my new insurance covered it and I switched surgeons and jumped through more hoops and had it done in May - over a year from when I made the decision.

This was almost the same thing for me, haha! I'd been looking into WL surgery since I was a teenager. I heard about the lapband in 2005 and started considering it. Big thing for me was I am not done having kids. I saw the great WL from Carnie w/ the gastric bypass, but then she got prego and put all the weight back on. That scared me! So w/ the band you can have a baby after they just adjust your fill to accomadate for the pregnancy. Sooooo, fast forward to 2007 when I joined my current company, I found out they approved it. I dragged my feet and then in May of '08 I did a seminar. Loved it! Dragged my feet some more and in Oct '08 heard we were switching to a new insurance carrier in jan '09. I knew my current insurance covered it but was afraid the new one wouldn't and I'd lose my chance. But I just called the new insurance and asked and found out it actually covered more AND covered the best surgeon and hospital in the whole phoenix metro. So it was fate for me to wait! So then oct '08-jan '09 I had to wait, to start my process. On 01-03-09 I went to a class, and it progressed from there. BCBS approved my surg in just a week!!! So glad I finally did it, wish it was sooner b/c I'd be skinny by now. But I guess the process went at a pace I could mentally and emotionally deal with. :) I love my band! :) Working on a name for her currently, the top 3 choices are up on my blog! haha!

found out it actually covered more AND covered the best surgeon and hospital in the whole phoenix metro.

:)

i was banded by dr. sprunger, too (on monday, 7/27). :)

I just want to thank all you ladies for sharing your stories. I guess we all have different motivations for our decisions. And I guess no matter what our reason it's all about having the strength to make the decision to no longer our weight issues rule our lives.

Wow those are all certainly inspiring reasons to make a change. I haven't been banded yet but one of the main deciding factors for me was being able to be healthy and safe during pregnancy and childbirth. I had contemplated the lapband and or gastric bypass for years but not having quality insurance or a well paying job it just was not feasible and I always told myself when I got into a secure financial position and a secure relationship I would go for it. Other things attributed to my wanting to become more healthy. Both of my parents are currently obese and struggle with obese related illnesses on a daily basis. My grandmother was also obese until about 2000 when she got breast cancer, she later got uteran cancer and then bone cancer that spread through her blood and organs and i lost her Oct '08 after a long and hard battle. She always reminded me that I needed to do what I could to lose weight so I would be able to see my own grandchildren. I got married in April '09 and am finally in a secure job with good insurance and my husband and I have decided it is time for me to change my life around.