Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure I can go back to work in 1 week!

Hi All-

I was banded on Monday 7/20 and this last week has been very painfull for me. I wasn't quite prepared for the amount of pain that surgery would bring. It's now Saturday and I'm *very* unsure about going back to work on Monday. I'm having a lot of port site pain. I'm taking the percoset as prescribed and liquid tylenol but my belly is still very bruised and swollen. I have a sedentary desk job but am just unsure that I'll be able to sit up all day!

Any suggestions? :biggrin:

Do you have to go back to work this early? Is there any flexibility with your employer? If so, I would really recommend that you take care of yourself first. It will pay off in the long run.

Take the time you need to heal. Maybe you can try going back half day. I hope your employer is understanding. Good luck to you!

I would take the first part of the week off then start back at half days. If it doesn't work take the rest of the week.

I have a sit down job AND work from home, but I took 2 weeks off and am glad I did. I was worried about being uncomfortable and having to sit for 8 hours. With a previous nose and sinus surgery I was very tired and slept a lot so for 2 weeks so I worried about my ability to concentrate on my job when I returned to work after my lapband surgery as well. While this recovery was much easier, I really didn't want to return to work and struggle with my ability to concentrate.

People really vary in how quickly they recover. I have a SIL who had the same surgery and went back to her job after 3 days, so it is really an individual thing.

Hopefully you can take some more time off until you feel you are ready to return to work.

Try to get in to see the surgeon/PA on Monday. Different companies treat sick leave differently--try to take all the time at once, don't go back Monday and then take the rest of the week off---try to get a note from the surgeon on Monday so you can relax and heal for as long as you need without worrying about going back too soon.

I took a full week off and was very very beat my first week back, I also have a desk job.

You're the only one who can decide if you're not ready to go back to work. Listen to your body and just do what you really think you need to do. I had my surgery on the 10th and have been off work since. I plan on going back for half days only this coming week. I just still feel tired and drained and am just now sleeping well.

If you can take the extra time off, I don't think you'll regret it at all. Take your time to heal. :biggrin:

I guess I was very lucky because I went back to work in 3 days and I do not sit at work. I had my surgery on a Friday, went home on Saturday and back to work on Tuesday - I was sore but I was ready... plus, I never shared my "secret" with anyone at work... I feel this is very private and didn't want to hear any advice from skinny people who have no idea what it is to be heavy

My surgery is July 31. My doc said 3-5 days off. I am scheduled 5 days off only. I hope and pray I'll be ok:ohmy:

Everybody is different and they respond differently to having surgery. Some people are back to work within three days and others it takes a little bit longer.

Just make sure to do what is best for you. Your body does need time to heal, so I would suggest not pushing going back to work any sooner than you have to.

I think Donnainva has a great suggestion in seeing the surgeon right away to get a medical excuse if you are not feeling ready to get back to work on the planned date.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

I was very sore at my port and fearing the same thing you are. I went and bought a rib support at the drug store and it made all the difference in the world. They are about $20 and just wraps around your middle. Might try it.

I don't think you should be taking percocet and liquid tylenol together...percocet HAS acetaminophen in it. You get to much you ruin your liver. Please call your pharmacist, ok?

Hi, Take time to heal. My Dr. said I could go back in 3 days. I had to take 2 weeks. I have been banded for 3 now. I only have one spot under my bra that rubs and it is still causing me pain its ugly. I have had to go bra-less for a couple of days for this spot to heal. Only you will know how you feel. I say do not rush it if you do not have too. Best Wishes and feel better soon. imaluckydog

My doctor would give me up to 4 weeks off if I need it. Her philosophy is more towards your whole recovery. She wants you to settle in and get accustomed to your new body and lifestyle for long term success. I am slated to go back on August 3rd (about 2 weeks and 3 days out). Last week I was so tired and sore, this week I am feeling great, but noticed when I get tired or "do too much" it affects me.

Your body needs time to adjust to any surgery. If you go back too soon you will prolong your recovery - your well being comes first!

As an HR professional - if you must go back - get your doctor to release you with restrictions (frequent breaks - light duty - reduced schedule etc.) This covers your rights as an employee as well as giving you some wiggle room if you hit a rough patch.