Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guess I am in lap-band hell?????

Well, I was banded 7/9/09. So, I am only 5 days post-op. Pain wise I doing ok. I hurt a little, but not enough to take meds. But, today I am soooooo hungry!!!!! My DH and I went to the movies tonite and after the movie, I wanted a milkshake. Don't know why, but I was starving and REALLY wanted one. I just started crying because I knew that I could not have it. I am still on a thin liquid diet, and I can not stand the thought of another bite of Jello! I just cried and cried. Partly because I miss eating. I mean, I have cut out all sugar, caffene and food all at once. Is it normal to feel this way? Please help

Unfortunately, yes it is. You will be starving probably until you get to the mushy stage, where you can have things like mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. I do stress to resist it as much as you can, until it's safe to eat real food again. Since really, you can easily rip your stitches out if you eat the wrong foods too early and you could easily lose your band entirely. Mushies start at 3 weeks usually. But some people have to wait the full six weeks, until they get a fill to stop the hunger pains. You can do this. Just remember how much you want to reach your goal and it will be worth it in the end.

Well, I was banded 7/9/09. So, I am only 5 days post-op. Pain wise I doing ok. I hurt a little, but not enough to take meds. But, today I am soooooo hungry!!!!! My DH and I went to the movies tonite and after the movie, I wanted a milkshake. Don't know why, but I was starving and REALLY wanted one. I just started crying because I knew that I could not have it. I am still on a thin liquid diet, and I can not stand the thought of another bite of Jello! I just cried and cried. Partly because I miss eating. I mean, I have cut out all sugar, caffene and food all at once. Is it normal to feel this way? Please help

I can sympathize with you. Banded on 07/07. Had no real hunger until yesterday!! It's getting worse and worse, but stay strong!! My NUT told me I could up my Protein to 70 grams to make sure to get enough Fluid. I know how you feel sister!

Hi,

My name is rosie and I had the Lap Band surgery on May 22nd and has lost 19 lbs. I did not experience food craving because I had adjusted my mine mentally before the surgery and has strong will power from eating. However, I suggest you order a variety of foods from "Diet Direct" which caters to weight loss for batriac and Lap band patients. I basically ordered all my foods /snacks prior to surgery and had choices to include in my daily food intake. Also make sure you take a mult Vitamin, I take prenatal Vitamins to get the nutritional supplement my body need. I always prepare my food at home and take my meals to work. I choose not to eat out very often due to all the hidden fat and seasoning in restaurant food. I also keep Protein snackswhich include, Protein chips, protein flavored liquids to all to my bottled Water or nuts in my purse. I keep plenty of Water hidden in a cool place from the sun in my vehicle. Never be caught off gaurd and forced to eat the wrong foods due to lack of planning ahead for success.

Good luck,

Rosie

Rosie

Edited by rosie1
mispelling

Yes it's normal! And while Rosie1 is trying to help, just make sure you follow your doc's orders. They all have different post op diets.

I was on Clear Liquids for 1 week, then regular liquids for 1 week (that's when I FINALLY got Protein Shakes and that helped), then mushies for 2, then "soft" foods, then regular. I sat during week 2 and cried over a can of refried Beans because I was so hungry. It wasn't "head hunger" either. I came to in recovery feeling great but starving, so I feel your pain. Just hang in there. It passes, and you need to heal right now so it's REALLY important you don't cheat. You'll make it!

Hi,

My name is rosie and I had the Lap Band surgery on May 22nd and has lost 19 lbs. I did not experience food craving because I had adjusted my mine mentally before the surgery and has strong will power from eating. However, I suggest you order a variety of foods from "Diet Direct" which caters to weight loss for batriac and Lap band patients. I basically ordered all my foods /snacks prior to surgery and had choices to include in my daily food intake. Also make sure you take a mult Vitamin, I take prenatal Vitamins to get the nutritional supplement my body need. I always prepare my food at home and take my meals to work. I choose not to eat out very often due to all the hidden fat and seasoning in restaurant food. I also keep Protein snackswhich include, Protein chips, protein flavored liquids to all to my bottled Water or nuts in my purse. I keep plenty of Water hidden in a cool place from the sun in my vehicle. Never be caught off gaurd and forced to eat the wrong foods due to lack of planning ahead for success.

Good luck,

Rosie

Rosie

Hi Rosie,

Thanks for the advice! But I think we are all new bandsters. It's not food we are craving per se, it's we are just hungry from having to be on all liquids and not to the next stages yet. You have a good plan of action though for one who can eat anything. :thumbup:) Thanks for sharing.

Hang in there...you will get thru this tough time...

You've made it this far, once you get over this bump you'll be okay....

As my mom often says, "This, too, shall pass."

But why does it have to pass so flipping SLOW?!

Anyway, I probably would have given in and gotten the shake. I'm such a weakling!

Hang in there just a bit longer. See if your Doc will let you at least eat scrambled eggs. When I was in the hospital, the meal prep guys list those as "liquid". Thought that was weird, but maybe your doc will too? At least it will give you the sensation that you are "eating" if he does!

OMG!!!! I'm so glad I'm not alone! I was banded the 13th. 2 days ago. Today I'm finally feeling good, but man oh man, I'm STARVING!!!!!!! I guess we just need to stick together! We can do this! I'm also having a hard time getting my Water in. Just sipping all day I get 32 oz in, but I know i need more! Hang in there!!!!!!

I understand everybody's pain. I begin mushies tomorrow and I am sooooo ready! I was able to have a mixture of broth, Jello, Protein Drinks (yuck) during my two week post op. Tomorrow I can begin eggs/mushies and I am so excited. I have lost 19 pounds (was 20 but one day I ate slider food, was hungry and weak--don't regret it but just won't do it again) so I am staying on track. I will be glad when I get my fill on 8/14. Here's a pretty good post op diet plan to follow, my diet is a little different but I thought this was a good resource.

http://www.integris-health.com/NR/rdonlyres/47702FB1-6981-42F8-9617-BD81BE202B96/0/lapBandDiet.pdf

I am also 7 days post-op and starving. Fortunately, my nutritionist said I could add cottage cheese, eggs & yogurt as soon as I was able, and I have had yogurt and cottage cheese. I was so hungry earlier today that I stopped on the way home for hot & sour Soup and got egg drop soup too! I ate some of each and FINALLY feel full. I've been starving for 2 days. This will pass, too!

so glad to read these comments as i got banded yesterday and found myself staring into the kitchen cupboard today and getting so depressed. any advice on how to make the liquid diet more interesting?

My hunger came back as gurgles after a few days and has progressed to knowing for certain that I can now starve again. My surgeon suggested getting on the shakes as soon as I could tolerate Water well, and that's what I did. They also said anything that begins as liquid and can be sucked through a straw could be permitted.

Post op liquids hasn't been so bad (14 day pre op liquids was hell for me) though I'm trying to get as much protien in as possible. I've been having boxed Imagine Soups for lunch and dinner, they seem to help as well as the muscle milk light that I've been putting away to keep my protien up.

I hate to admit it, but I think the pre op diet prepared me for now. I think about food sometimes when I allow myself to get too hungry, but if I stay on top of it, it's usually not a problem.

I'm hoping to start mushies next Tuesday and I reckon I'll begin cooking again. LOL I've been planning menus in my head of stuff I'm curious to see if I can get it into a food processor and still come out tasting good.

I guess we just have to hang in there?

Hi,

However, I suggest you order a variety of foods from "Diet Direct" which caters to weight loss for batriac and Lap band patients. I basically ordered all my foods /snacks prior to surgery and had choices to include in my daily food intake. Good luck,

Rosie

Rosie

Thank you for this info Rosie!

My hunger came back as gurgles after a few days and has progressed to knowing for certain that I can now starve again. My surgeon suggested getting on the shakes as soon as I could tolerate Water well, and that's what I did. They also said anything that begins as liquid and can be sucked through a straw could be permitted.

Post op liquids hasn't been so bad (14 day pre op liquids was hell for me) though I'm trying to get as much protien in as possible. I've been having boxed Imagine Soups for lunch and dinner, they seem to help as well as the muscle milk light that I've been putting away to keep my protien up.

I hate to admit it, but I think the pre op diet prepared me for now. I think about food sometimes when I allow myself to get too hungry, but if I stay on top of it, it's usually not a problem.

I'm hoping to start mushies next Tuesday and I reckon I'll begin cooking again. LOL I've been planning menus in my head of stuff I'm curious to see if I can get it into a food processor and still come out tasting good.

I guess we just have to hang in there?

great advice-thank you. i got up this morning and had a few spoonfuls of the Protein drink and feel better. the gas has been hell but now realize the importance of Protein. didnt expect the depression or hunger as i found the 2 weeks of the preop diet relatively painless.

I am now trying to figure out the weight loss ticker. Wish me luck!