Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 months post op - still losing lots of hair

What can I do to stop this. I am 5 months post op and still losing a lot of hair.. I had extremly thick hair and not it is thin?

Will this stop? What can I do to make it stop?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to be bald...I would have rather stayed heavy then be skinny and bald...

Jackie:cursing:

It stops. It really does. And it also grows back. I think my hair loss started at around 4 months post-op and continued for 3 months or so.

I mentioned it to the nurse at the surgeon's office. She sounded unconcerned and said it happens to everyone.

Make sure you're getting in enough Protein and drinking enough Water. Some people say it's due to the decrease in Protein, others say it's from the anesthetic.

My program says that hair thinning is not uncommon and shows up in the 4th or 5th month post op and can last for 2-3 months, but the hair usually grows back. My program also adds that the thinning can be caused by rapid weight loss, a low Protein and zinc diet, or just the trauma of the surgery.

I'm sure this is an unpleasant side effect (I would be just as upset as you are!), but it will subside. Keep your head up.

I also had VERY THICK hair. It is now pretty thin, especially in the front. I was banded about 4 months ago, and I started noticing Hair loss at about 2 months post-op. My Protein intake was more than my doctor recommended, so I do not believe that my hair loss was a protein-deficiency problem. For the past 3-4 weeks I have been taking a large dose of Biotin daily. The hair loss has slowed drastically. I feel that I am only losing about a quarter to half the amount of hair that I was before taking biotin. I have read several people on this board that recommend taking biotin and using NIOXIN (a hair treatment that helps with hair loss - find it at most salons) in addition to making sure your protein intake is adequate. Hope this helps.

My program says that hair thinning is not uncommon and shows up in the 4th or 5th month post op and can last for 2-3 months, but the hair usually grows back. My program also adds that the thinning can be caused by rapid weight loss, a low Protein and zinc diet, or just the trauma of the surgery.

I'm sure this is an unpleasant side effect (I would be just as upset as you are!), but it will subside. Keep your head up.

Hey Lauren. I saw that you are from Independence... ME TOO! I live up in St. Joe right now but my family still lives in Indep so I am down there often. How often are you in town? I don't know if you have any band-buddies or not, but if you are interested in having one.. feel free to contact me.

Good luck.

Rachel

Protien, Protien, Protien....its a must you need to take in at least 30 grams a day. There is also a pill that you can take called Multi Enzyme, that helps break up the Protein and spread it through out the body.

I had my Surgery on July 9th and I was wondering if anyone has any Un opened cans of Protein Shakes that

you could send me to help me out, I'm having a little hard times which I know everyone is , but if you can help me I live in the Jacksonville area and you can e-mail me at

lc58734@bellsouth.net to get my information to send anything you can spare, GOD Bless and Thanks.

30 grams? Heck, I was told a minimum of 60 grams and that 70 would be better. I'm 5 months post-op and haven't lost any hair beyond the normal little bit. We're all different. Are you taking a good Multivitamin with zinc? Biotin works for some but some people say it didn't make a difference for them. But it should slow down and then stop before much longer.

Hi! I was also told to hit a goal of 75 grams of Protein a day. I am having my surgery on July 29th and I have tried a variety of shakes. The nutritionist told me without this amount of protein, Hair loss will occur.

I am almost 6 months out from banding and over the past 2 months have had a significant amount of Hair loss. I can just move my head and it falls out. Won't even mention what's in the hair brush or shower. I have faithfully watched my Protein intake. The lowest I go is 60 and usually shoot for at least 70 grams. This does seem to make a difference. I did start the Biotin and also use the Nioxin products as recommended by my hairdresser. I also had tons of bloodwork done to check for anemia, Iron deficiency, etc. What we did find was that my thyroid level was not where it should be so increased my Synthroid again and that is seeming to make a difference. The bloodwork was done at the recommendation of my primary care physician who is helping to make sure that this surgery is successful. My hair loss is just starting to show signs of improvement so am hopeful that the tide is turning. While we might make jokes about going bald, I actually had some real concerns about this.

I take 5000 mg of Biotin everyday along with my other supplements. On one occasion I skipped taking the biotin for three days, and I started losing a lot more hair. So I started taking it again and the Hair loss slowed down drastically. Which as you can imagine makes me a firm believer in the biotin!! Everyone is different, but this has really helped me considerably. I have very fine/thin hair regularly so I did not want to take any chances on losing any more than I had to!!

My nutritionist told me to take Calcium as well as a regular Vitamin with Iron in order to prevent that from happening. I started out with chewables but can swallow regular pills now.

make sure your getting enough Protein, I agree Water as well. My Husband is a personal trainer and says on top of your regular 8 8oz of Water a day, for every 25 lbs you are over your ideal weight you should drink another 8 oz glass of water.

Hit me back if you need anything! I can always ask the Hubby!!

<3 Steph

I started losing my hair about 2 months out. I started taking Biotin and it slowed it down. I stopped taking the biotin and it's back to normal again at 6 months out. It really does stop.