Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

List of things needed after your surgery

hi

i wanted to start this because i know we all might have things we are buying for after our surgeries. i have a few things on my list like the gas-x, smaller utensils, sippy cup.

what are you all buying? it might be something that someone can use but never thought about.

thanks for sharing

Thanks Daqui! Great Idea!

This is my list - I still have a lot of shopping to do!

-Liquid Tylenol - maybe liquid Tylenol PM as well

-Chewable Vitamins - My doctor wants the Bariatric Advantage

-Sublingual B complex

-Magic Bullet - or personal blender

-Protein drinks - haven't decided what kind yet

-Aleve

-Protein Bullets

-Sm Plates - (helps with the visual of a full plate!)

-Baby food

-Calcium chews

-Food to use for puree stage

-Baby spoons (already mentioned)

-One of those shot glass measuring containers for all the liquid stuff we need to measure

That is all I have on my list right now. A lot of this was suggested at my nutrition class and in the paperwork from my doctor's office.

my doc suggested the infants mylicon instead of gas-x. it seemed to work better, but it's hard to say.

i also bought some milk of magnesia, in case the Constipation gets too bad.

a heating pad for sure! I have heard from all my friends who were banded in June that the gas pain is the worst part of the surgery and the heating pad is the only thing that gives them relief in between their shoulder blades. Also Im going to get a stomich binder and a wedge pillow. And lastely if anyone else is traveling to MX dont forget surgical mask to wear on the plane. They recycle that air ya know! Gross!!

All i have right now is some broth, Jello, SF popsicles and Carnation Instant Breakfast (no sugar added)...it's what all of his patients take...oh and flinstone vitamins! lol I took those when I was a kid!

I do already have baby spoons and small plates..but i'm not buying any baby food or soft foods until I see him on the 22nd for my post-op visit. THEN I'll get some stuff...oh! Babybell LIGHT cheese (the individually wrapped ones) are SO delicious AND they're 3/4 of an oz...PERFECT for us! :)

GOODLUCK EVERYONE! I get my band TOMORROW :thumbup:

One-a-day has come out with a One-a-day Woman's formula that disolves in Water. I bought a packet of that for the first few weeks post-op til I can go back to pill form Vitamins.

Also got Benefiber with Calcium, to use once daily to up my Calcium intake. I plan to use regular Benefiber in almost all I drink to keep things 'on track', just the thought of MOM makes me have childhood flashbacks I'd prefer not to revisit rofl.

From previous experience I have a small pillow for restroom visits post-op. I've found a pillow held against the abdomen makes things much less painful the first few days.

I haven't bought mine yet, but am planning on getting a silly straw. I have heard from post-op bander's that it's a great way not to gulp Water down.

I also have V-8 fusion and Miso Soup on my list.

I haven't bought mine yet, but am planning on getting a silly straw. I have heard from post-op bander's that it's a great way not to gulp Water down.

I also have V-8 fusion and Miso Soup on my list.

I've heard from my doc that straws are a no-no. I guess it makes you swallow a lot of air or something? Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Oooh, I'm glad you mentioned it. I didn't even think about all the air you take in. Ok, scratch that one. Don't need any more gassy issues than necessary. LOL

So far these are the things I've found the most helpful.

Insulated Playtex sippy cups (as suggested by TessieKay, I think) have been wonderful.

I had to get a raised toilet seat for the first several days post-op.

I bought a Magic Bullett, and it is fabulous!!!

You know, I bought some baby food to eat, but after tasting a few of them, I'm regretting I ever did!

Instead, this last weekend I went out and bought a small food processor.

I figure I'll get lots of use out of it between my mushies stage, and those times after fills that I need to take it "soft" for awhile.

Oh, and someone mentioned Aleve, but I was reading in my Lap-Band paperwork that they don't recommend using any type of nsaids since they can be harsh on the stomach. Of course, I'd always follow the advice of my doctor, if your doc says it's okay for you, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

this thread is so helpful to me, im glad you all are still posting on it

I was banded on July 10-just last Friday.

Dr. Bagnato said NO straws. I bought a plastic pill cutter. A wedge pillow is very helpful.

The best Soup I have ever had is Egg Drop soup. It went down real smooth and easy.

I bought it in a box with 2 packages of soup mix. Mix one pack with a quart of Water, when it boils add a beaten gg. I added 2 eggs- and a cup of chicken broth. It tastes great- and gives you something besides cold stuff. It seems to be helping build my strenght back up.

I bought whey Protein, and will begin using it Friday- right now I am still on clear liquid. Not hungry though!

Thank you all so much for sharing this info! I'm less nervous when I feel prepared!

Jen, I feel the same way! I have so many lists going right now, scared to death I'm going to be caught without something. lol