Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein - I'm at a loss...

I have tried GNC Pro Performance - vanilla and Isopure - punch. The after taste is killing me. I actually feel sick to my stomach after drinking these. I'm trying different Liquid Protein sources so that I know what will work prior to the preop/postop diets.

With all this said, does anyone know of a Protein source that can be added to normal drinks? Perhaps something I could add to a glass of unsweetened tea or Lemonade sweetened w/equal...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Your surgeon may have a specific Protein s/he wants you to use; mine did. Well, he had specific guidelines and it was easiest to just pick the brand name he listed.

Having said that, I believe there is a product called "beneprotein" (like benefiber) that can be added.

There is also one I've read about here called "unjury" but I have no experience with it (as I said, my doc has his "druthers") but powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury needs to be ordered over the internet. Personally I didn't get the band to fret over making sure I had specialty foods ordered (been there, done that)...that may not bother you.

So Unjury or beneprotein...2 places to start! Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

Yes, he gave me a list that outlined the grams of Protein, carbs and calories of the various Protein Drink options. They didn't suggest a particular brand over another.

The list was provided so that could make the wisest choices in choosing between the vast number of drinks out there based on the protein/carb ratio.

It's great to see that Isopur as 40g of Protein w/ no carbs per serving but if you can't stomach the stuff it's useless.

I agree. And I think sometimes Protein is like sunblock...there comes a point when the high numbers are pretty moot! LOL I don't know that our bodies really need huge dumps of Protein at a time.

My doc recommends 60g a day and that, for me, is do-able. More and I'd be chasing it all day.

Good luck to you! :(

I use Isopure pure Protein creamy vanilla. I mix it with light vanilla soymilk. After my workouts I consume a recovery shake. Isopure 2 scoops, silk soymilk vanilla(8-10 oz), 1 bananna, and a handful of ice. I also always add another fruit like frozen blueberries and recently tired frozen mango with taste really good. I think this shake taste fantastic just like a smoothy you get at the mall. Always mix your Protein Shake with non fat milk or soymilk. that will for sure help with the taste...good luck...

I am using Matrix Vanilla powder, because I can add lots of different things to it to change the flavor-crystal light mixes, diet swiss miss cocoa, fresh or frozen fruit plus splenda, a little Peanut Butter, etc.

I have also tried VHT extreme smoothie in a can, which is pretty good for on the go.

I also couldn't stomach the taste of Isopure Water... they made me want to vomit. For my 2 week liquid pre op I did a mixture of Special K Protein shakes, Muscle Milk Light, Myoplex Lite, and Lean Body shakes. On different days I liked different things.. I also mixed the vanilla flavored ones with Decaf instant coffee and ice and they tasted sooooo good. Not so much the Muscle Milk but the Special K and the Lean Body (40 Protein grams per serving just like Isopure) were REALLY great with it.

Right now I'm a few days post op and I've just been drinking fat free milk since I'm sick of all those Protein drinks and now milk is on my 'ok to drink' list. Good luck to you! :(

Try Max Protein by SEI Pharmaceuticals. It is also called Ultimate Protein. You can order it online or go to a non-corporate owned GNC and they have it. I tried about 9 different protein powders and this one is my favorite. It is SO good. ( 22 grams of protein and 110 cal per scoop)

Google world according to eggface. Its a blog, her name is Shelly and she had WLS she posts the most amazing recipes. It is the protein she uses for everything. Her protein ice cream is so good. She also has a TON of recipes for Protein shakes. Good Luck!

Heather

Edited by heather1434
Added info

I tried Isopure in different flavors too and still have one bottle in the frig but just can't stand the thought of drinking it because the after taste is to say the least is very...I got some Cookies n Cream whey Protein at GNC and it is pretty good. I mix Vanilla with Slenda coffe flavors (mocha, umm) and I like that too. I also add Benefiber to each one (or store brand as it is pretty much the same thing). Got to keep regular. :(

I am in the minority here, cause I actually like Isopure. My favorite flavors are Blue Raspberry, Apple Melon & Mango Peach.

I also like the unjury chicken broth.

A memory from back in the old days that may help you....I used to go to Physician's weight loss and also LA weight loss (anyone surprised?). Anyway, they had these Protein Drinks that you mixed with Water. They tasted like kool-aid, and were really good. Cranberry Grape was my favorite. Unfortunately, I don't have a box left that has the nutrition info, but I bet you could google it and find out how much is in it. I hope this helps!:(

You guys are wonderful. I really appreciate the advice and suggestions. I needed to find a solution to this issue as the Dr insists that we have at least 100g of Protein during the pre-surgery diet. Post op: Stage 1 = 60g and stage 2 on is 80-100g.

Again thanks!!!!

You guys are wonderful. I really appreciate the advice and suggestions. I needed to find a solution to this issue as the Dr insists that we have at least 100g of Protein during the pre-surgery diet. Post op: Stage 1 = 60g and stage 2 on is 80-100g.

Again thanks!!!!

Holy Moly~! 100g p/day. That's double what I had to do pre/op. I'm about 2.5 weeks post op, in the mushie phase & I'm aiming for 70-80 calories p/day. It ain't easy, but if I wasn't drinking the Isopure at 40g, I wouldn't be able to come anywhere close.

To hit your 100g p/day, you may want to try AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. It has 60g of Protein in a 24oz bottle. I rather like the taste. Its not sweet tasting - more tart, like unsweetened lemonade.

Another product you may want to try is New-whey. Its only about 3oz, but has 42g protein. I haven't tried it yet, but I heard its not too bad, especially if you Water it down with ice cubes. Even if you don't like the taste, you only have to drink a little to get the protein.

Good luck!

Joan