Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet?

Well, since I feel all accomplished that I finally figured out how to do/see sparkly text, I thought I'd start a new thread. :wink2:

So, who out there is doing a pre-op diet, and what type of diet, for how long, etc.?

I know most of the folks who have to do a pre-op diet are on the higher end of the bmi spectrum, so it may not apply to everyone.

Back when I thought I was going to be banded in May, I did a 3 week pre-op diet that consisted of 3 Protein Drinks a day, and 1 meal of lean meat/ green veggies, plus a couple low fat Snacks.< /p>

I guess it helped, because I lost about 15 lbs during that 3 weeks (and I'm a slow loser since I started having thyroid issues), but after having my gallbladder surgery I haven't continued the loss.

So now, getting closer to my band surgery date, I'm looking at doing a pre-op diet again. I really don't want to have any further complications from my liver being too fatty!

What about the rest of you?

I have a lower BMI and am only required to do a 3-day MediFast liquid only diet. I'm more than willing to do it for the safety reasons related to my liver but am also glad I don't have to do a super long one either. Although my friend who was banded by the same doctor did a 2 week one and lost like 15 pounds so that would be nice.

Juniper, your diet doesn't sound too horrible compared to some of the others I've heard about.

I just got done doing a two week low carb diet in anticipation of a banding tomorrow. meat, cheese, eggs, etc, salad, non-starchy veggies, one yogurt, and one fruit a day.

Now that my banding has been postponed until July 22 I had a "last meal" (again) and will do a 3-Meal Replacement, one sensible meal diet until 7/7 when I'll start my 14 days of low carb again.

My preop diet was like yours, except NO NO NO Snacks. period.

I've done it again, though, with my surgeon's full approval and oversight, just to get things rolling for me finally. May I say that it is about 1 MILLION percent easier to do when you have good restriction?

Anyway good luck! :wink2:

Ok i just got my pre op diet instructions. They are:

70-80 grams of Protein daily divided for 3 meals.

Other than this, Clear liquids - Water, crystal lite, s/f , s/f Jello, s/fpopsicles, clear broth.

No dairy.

No caffeine

No carbonated bevarages.

My question..i wonder about Decaf coffee with s/f powdered Creamer - i wonder if thats still considered dairy....

and s/f cool whip - can i have that on Jello ya think?

I had thought since my pre op appt wasnt till 7/5 i was getting out of a 2 week diet, but apparently not. I start this Tuesday.

I get stressed wondering what to eat--and i know once we're banded, we wont really be hungry..i do wonder about going cold turkey off caffiene and headaches etc...does the Protein ya think eliminate that? And no dairy...hmm...not cheese or yogurt or such..

Well....i hope to keep busy--i know this wont be easy...but...i will hope the 2 weeks fly!

Juniper, your diet doesn't sound too horrible compared to some of the others I've heard about.

Yeah, it really wasn't that bad when I did it before, but this time I think I'm going to skip the Snacks and do an extra Protein shake if I get hungry. The Snacks are way too easy to overdo if you're not careful!

Ok i just got my pre op diet instructions. They are:

70-80 grams of Protein daily divided for 3 meals.

Other than this, Clear Liquids - Water, crystal lite, s/f , s/f Jello, s/fpopsicles, clear broth.

No dairy.

No caffeine

No carbonated bevarages.

My question..i wonder about Decaf coffee with s/f powdered Creamer - i wonder if thats still considered dairy....

and s/f cool whip - can i have that on Jello ya think?

I had thought since my pre op appt wasnt till 7/5 i was getting out of a 2 week diet, but apparently not. I start this Tuesday.

I get stressed wondering what to eat--and i know once we're banded, we wont really be hungry..i do wonder about going cold turkey off caffiene and headaches etc...does the Protein ya think eliminate that? And no dairy...hmm...not cheese or yogurt or such..

Well....i hope to keep busy--i know this wont be easy...but...i will hope the 2 weeks fly!

Bobbie,

the caffeine thing seems to go either way with most docs, but i will tell you, go ahead and prepare for withdrawal headaches. the protein did not help at all with that for me. oh, and if it's powdered creamer, it's usually non-dairy. :blushing:

as for the cool whip, since the idea is to get rid of the fat, think fat-free cool whip for that jello. (i know some will argue that calories are calories, but i'm just saying what my doc told me.) also, my doc was fine with fat-free yogurt. in fact that's one of my allowed Snacks. funny how different docs are.

one more thing... if you haven't read up on it yet, check into what they refer to as "bandster hell". sometimes it takes a while to get restriction, and you may be able to eat as much of whatever you want until you get there, so now's a good time to prepare yourself for that mentally!

two weeks... we can do that with our eyes closed! :w00t:

and you've got lots of support here to help you!!

Yeah, it really wasn't that bad when I did it before, but this time I think I'm going to skip the Snacks and do an extra Protein Shake if I get hungry. The snacks are way too easy to overdo if you're not careful!

That sounds like a good idea. Even though I only am required to do the 3 day medifast diet, I am going to try to do my own version of a week long preop diet just to help get my numbers down before surgery.

It's interesting to see the variety of diets that different doctors prescribe!

Had phone consult with my Dr. today and he put me on a 2 week high Protein no carb diet. Sort of like southbeach and Atkins but I can still eat fruit. bread and Pasta are my bestfriends so they will be hard to give up. Going to start trying that now so I can get a real great jump off to success.

My dr. requires a one week liquid diet consisting of 2-3 protien shakes per day, 100% fruit juice, broth, sf popsicles, sf Jello, low fat cream Soups (strained) and vegetable juice. The reason for this diet is to shrink the liver in order to give the dr. better/safer access to the stomach. I have already done the liquid diet once as my surgery was scheduled 6/17/09 and had to be rescheduled due to low potassium. I will begin liquids again on 6/24 in preparation for July 1, 2009 surgery...I hope the second time goes as smoothly as the first time, with a better outcome of course :blushing: Keeping my fingers crossed that potassium will be in check for surgery!

On my pre op list, it says "no milk products" - so i know that means no milk, yogurt, cheese....i am on a pure no carb thing too...so...what about eggs? I know they are considered "dairy" (my list does not say "no dairy" just no milk products).

My thoughts are having an egg for Breakfast...Ive got a call in to ask this, but havent heard back yet - i start my pre op tomorrow.

My thought would be ok because i am allowed 70-80 grams of Protein divided in my 3 meals.

Thoughts?

And thank you, Juniper for your supportive post...

I'm drinkin my last diet coke today :blushing: tomorrow - crystal lite and de caf coffee! lol

I originally had a 2 week, liquid only pre-op diet which turned into 3 weeks because my surgery was postponed for a week (its a long story; you can read about it on my blog if you want: Violinist With A Band). I have to say, it boggles my mind that all surgeons don't require a 2 week preop diet. Firstly, I lost 20 pounds on the preop diet. Secondly, at surgery, my liver had shrunk quite a bit leaving much less risk for complications or even closing me up without having the band placed. And thirdly, and possibly most importantly, I was SO much more prepared for post-op because of the pre-op diet. And I follow my post-op instructions to a T. I read stories on here of people who didn't have a pre op diet or who cheated immensely their preop diet, and then 5 days after surgery they are stuffing chips and burgers and ice cream through their band (Im not saying this is the case with all of those who don't do pre-op, but I have read a lot of stories that go like that). If they had gotten used to being on liquids 2-3 weeks prior to surgery, there is a greater chance that those people would be able to cope with the liquids after surgery (and postop liquids, depending on the surgeon, can last anywhere between 2-3 weeks...). I think all pre-bandsters should do themselves a favor and get used to things before you're forced to get used to them after surgery. Just my two cents.

Had phone consult with my Dr. today and he put me on a 2 week high Protein no carb diet. Sort of like southbeach and Atkins but I can still eat fruit. bread and Pasta are my bestfriends so they will be hard to give up. Going to start trying that now so I can get a real great jump off to success.

Just FYI...fruits (with their natural sugar) have carbs...some have LOTS of carbs. Maybe the doc put you on a "no processed carb" diet? If he said NO CARBS, I'd question the "fruit is ok" thing. Lucky you if you get fruit! I didn't even get veggies with many carbs...I had to stick to green veggies! :blushing:

Hi

Iam going for surgery on July 14,2009. I am nervous, but very excited. I have not been told about a pre op diet yet. but I am sure that is coming. I have done lots of reading, and hoping that this is the answer. I know all of you feel the same way. Dr. Kuri in Mexico is doing the surgery. I am from Alberta Canada, so I have a bit of a trip ahead of me, in more ways than one.

I started my Pre-OP diet today! Protein Shake twice a day and 2 healthy meals (4-6 ounces of chicken, fish or lean beef and green vegetables only.) I can have a cup of fruit after each meal. No caffeine or whole dairy products. It reminds me a lot of the Medifast program. I did really well on that program about a month, so two weeks should be a breeze. right?:bored: