Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets Part 4

I don't know, Judy, because it was a library book, but I looked it up on Amazon but they didn't have the Contents listed, either, but it does say that it's 384 pages, if that helps (do Kindle pages match w/printed pages?). Do you never get a TOC w/Kindle books?

I hadn't thought about it before, but I guess it would take some getting used to not having the physical book to know how far along you are... seems strange! I'm still on the fence about all this new-fangled technology... I do love the physicality of a book...

Kindle pages don't match printed pages because of the difference in font size. You can make the font any size that works for you. Yes, most Kindle books have a table of contents. I enjoy the Kindle, but I did find myself trying to turn pages last night.. duh!!! And I do like to see how far I've read and how far I have to go before the end. Rosie O'Donnell swore she would never get a Kindle, but she broke down and now just loves it. (I read her blog every day).

Michelle - oh my gosh I can't believe you tried the vinegar trick. I never actually tried it. I left the vinegar out on my kitchen island and each time (for about a week) that I wanted something sweet the thought of actually swishing with vinegar made my stomach turn. But then I just put it away one day and forgot about it...

Terry - that thing you found about people with that gene liking sweets and hating alcohol, that's me. I never ever drank until I was in my late 20's because alcohol was so bitter and gross to me. Now at this age I still won't drink beer. Hate the taste. I will drink alcohol only if it's masked with fruity sweet things. Red wine is bitter and gross and I will drink a very light white wine once in a blue moon. I hate brocoli, asparagus, lots of other veggies as a child. They were so bitter to me...

Edited by Haydee

I like most info on Nova Science Now, but I hate the delivery of it. They act like it's a kids' show (REALLY hokey host) and the cartoon animations that are just silly.. but they're talking above my head most of the time, so I don't see how it's suppose to be a kid's show.

If they just presented the information normally, I'd like it a lot more, the host really annoys me.

And they always cover several topics, and I am only interested in 1 or 2 in the whole hour, so I have to watch long boring segments to get to the good stuff (Russ wants to see it all).

But I do learn some interesting things on there.

Last night's also showed that seals, learned to associate If A=x and B=x, then A=B... which is really crazy, it said humans don't learn that till they are 4. That means seals have LOGIC.. something we generally think is only for humans.

That's interesting Terry.. I HAAATE taste of alkie, that's why I if I drink I do shots to get drunk, I don't like sipping anything. But I love brussell sprouts (which was a big one in their list.. brussell sprouts, brocc, and cauliflower were the big 3).

And about vinegar, I love it on my tongue, so it's not just drinking it, I could swish it and it's good.. I have done it. Actually what I normally do, is if I do an oil & vinegar Salad Dressing, I put 1 part oil to 4 part vinegar.. so its just soaking in vinegar, then I eat it and slurp the vinegar like a soup.. hehe.

Edited by FairyFacade

Judy - I love rosie too! I never thought to look for her blog... I also love kathy griffin...

The kindle was on sale on Amazon.com for $200. Is that a good price??

OH and Dillards (a dept store here in houston) is having lots of sales right now... They have online stores too (dillards.com)... I went yesterday and bought 3 pairs of sandals, and 2 pairs of high heels for 60 bucks! OH and my best purchase was a leather Cole Haan bag that was regular price $398 and I got it for $71. I've had my eye on it for awhile...

I thought Kindle was on sale for $299 on Amazon (keep seeing the ad..); just went to check, the big flyer on their website says "$299"

Wasn't it originally $500 Judy???

I always thought it was ridiculously priced, and I'm one of those people who don't like things like books & notes on computer. People bring their laptops to classes, or even at work take notes on their computer.. I want it written out on paper.. and I've read 1 book on the computer (Tori Spelling's first book, only because it was sold out EVERYWHERE and I couldn't wait).. and I don't like it. I like holding my pages hehe.

Russ always bitching at me to use computer for things because it's quicker, but I still like pen and paper. And I like looking at book art... and I like having books on my shelf that I read... and I work at a PRINTING company and try to discourage digital downloading :crying:

post-216201-13813138596251_thumb.gif

There are two models of Kindle. The original is the one we have and was $320 when we bought it. The second model out this year has more bells and whistles and sells for $489. We're fine with the one we have. Bob just loves it. He read sooooo much and to be able to spend $9.99 on a book instead of $20 or $30 is saving us a ton. Plus I don't have the room in the house for any more books!! AND when we go on cruises he takes the Kindle along and reads several books at a time. And you only have to carry one little, thin Kindle.

Haydee.. Rosie's blog is rosie.com I read it every day. She doesn't post on her "ask ro" site every day, but at least once or twice a week. The rest of the stuff is interesting too.

I use to read her blog too, I found it funny how she never used punctuation/capitalization.. does she still do that?

sorry, yes, it's 299 not 200. I just rememberd the 2 lol...

judy, how's the screen on it? easy on the eyes? I was thinking about getting one of these just for the portability of it. When I go on vacation I always have to lug my books with me...

Edited by Haydee

PAMela, I sent you an e-mail from my work addy, let me know if you don't get it.. it's pricing for the stuff we talked about.

sorry, yes, it's 299 not 200. I just rememberd the 2 lol...

judy, how's the screen on it? easy on the eyes? I was thinking about getting one of these just for the portability of it. When I go on vacation I always have to lug my books with me...

Very easy on the eyes and you can increase the size of the font so it's very readable.

Kat...her (macys) right side.

Macy (probably) has a kidney infection and maybe even a stone. Macy said "Dr Molly, I have never eaten any rocks before!" lol

The good thing is that we think I got her to the dr early enough to catch it before it got out of hand....at least I hope that is the case. Anyway...they took blood (poor baby) and urine and then took x-rays. We got some antibiotics. Thanks God for insurance otherwise it would have cost me 400.00. My insurance paid all but 85.00 and the dr gave me a forty dollar coupon so it ended up being 45.00. But four hundred dollars...that is insane! Anyhow, the dr said if Monday she is still in pain, bring her back in the office. If she starts running fever, vomiting or if the pain gets worse, to call and let her know ASAP. The dr also told me to go to the hardware store and get some paint strainers so I can strain her urine to see if any debris comes out while she is urinating. Please please PLEASE say a prayer for Macy. She was hurting so badly that she was in tears earlier. :crying:

Oh that poor baby! You don't have to beg me, prayers have already been said, I hate when kids are sick!!!

When my Dad had kidney stones, they told him to go home and drink a 6 pack of beer! Seriously. I know you can't give her beer, but maybe something like tea that has a bit of a diuretic in it too, that makes her pee a lot-----have you looked online for ideas on dealing with it, with kids?

I would love to have a Kindle.......but $$$$ is what I am trying NOT to spend!

Weather here was good---not hot as it was, but not storming either. And I do not have to work tomorrow!!! I do however have to go to a funeral, think I would rather work. Rick is working, so I am going alone....will likely meet up with my inlaws there, but not going WITH Them as they will go to the dinner with the family etc. I am not. I feel for my brother in law, but eating with him is not gonna help him!!! I am coming HOME! I would really like to go yard saling instead, but have no way to get out of going....dangit.

Space shuttle landed safely, that is always nice to hear.

Jane, if you find the lotion, just let me know, and I can send you money to cover it, and shipping. I am not pressuring you, I just thought about it, as I realized I need lotion on my elbows!!

I am off to ride for a little while.....perfect weather for it, little warm....but the horses are happy to go.

BBL~

Hubby and I spent 2 hours at the ATT store. They'll be out next week to hook our U-Verse. Now I have till than to get 11 hours of Lost watched. I keep putting it off and now I have to get it done. So far I've got in 2 1/2 hours and was only interupted 7 times. Somebody always wanting something.

My Aunt and I enjoyed the Play last night. Wasn't what I was expecting but really enjoyed it.

So far today I've had

1/3 of a suasage egg & cheese croisanwich (hubby ate the rest)

1/2 cup of cottage cheese and pineapple

1/2 bag of microwave popcorn

Not sure what dinner will be yet.

This morning I ran to Wal-Mart and than stopped by Burger King to get a sancwich for hubby and I to share. The bill was a little over 2 bucks and I had a 5. I asked the lady at the window if she would do me a favor and put what change I had coming to me towards the bill of the car behind me. I was feeling really good about what I did. I was wishing I could see the look on the lady's face when she was told. So I pull out and get to the street and there is a car in front of me from KS. So we wait for traffic to clear and the old man just sits there and than he looks down and than he just looks around. So I'm like "Move it bud". And I honk. He looks up and than looks down the road and so I honk again and say "Jeez bud, come on". So finally he takes off.

So much for my good deed. I blew it by not having patience with the idiot in front of my. I should have paid it forward to the guy in front of me and not the one behind me.