Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets Part 4

I love vinegar, I could do shots of it all day long, so that wouldn't work for me!

Me too...red wine or balsamic vinegar is my fav. I actually ordered some and some olive oil with the wine we bought at the wine tasting...that should be arriving soon!

Well, I am up at 2am...STARVING! I was able to get in the mooshoo pork (w/o pancake thingy) for dinner. It is hard to chew...and I am trying to avoid a PB at all costs. Trying pretzles and diet sprite now, but I know I need more.

I am watching BB now on showtime. LOVE WHO WON HOH, however I would have loved someone else more. I am waiting for my frozen blackberries to refreeze so I can put 'em back on. I like using these because they are soft and somewhat pliable...however, I had a leak earlier...and although I caught it early, it got my pj's!

OK...gotta boogey...why, I don't know cause I got nuttin' to do! I got a HUGE bruise on my neck from the diaper thingy. OK...'nuf about me!

xooxox

Pam- YUUUUUM. I like balsamic the best too.

Carson slept from 7:30-5. And he just went right back to sleep after eating despite all the sleep.. yay!

We watched Nova Science Now (Russell watches this and sometimes I'm in bed and hear it). They found a GENE that controls whether or not people like veggies.. apparently goes back to caveman times, veggies like broccoli, brussel sprouts, califlower, etc. have some chemical (PTA or something), and in caveman times, bitter meant stay away, poison.. anywho, so if you have a certain gene make up, you actually taste the PTA and veggies are bitter and gross... if you have the opposite gene make up, you do not taste the PTA you just taste the veggie and like it (or don't depending on normal taste buds). The gene makes the Proteins on your taste bud not react or react.

I thought that was fascinating! So it showed them do a genetic profile of a group of kids, and they wrote the results of who would or would not taste this stuff. Then they gave all the kids this junk and it was right.. so the parents were saying "I'll be more empathetic that suzie doesn't like her broccoli now!". Some kids drinking the stuff made horrid faces (like it was vinegar!), the rest of them just acted like they took a sip of Water.< /p>

It said as you get older your sense of smell changes and so more adults with the gene eat the veggies (this is where I trailed off and fell asleep).

Pam- YUUUUUM. I like balsamic the best too.

Carson slept from 7:30-5. And he just went right back to sleep after eating despite all the sleep.. yay!

We watched Nova Science Now (Russell watches this and sometimes I'm in bed and hear it). They found a GENE that controls whether or not people like veggies.. apparently goes back to caveman times, veggies like broccoli, brussel sprouts, califlower, etc. have some chemical (PTA or something), and in caveman times, bitter meant stay away, poison.. anywho, so if you have a certain gene make up, you actually taste the PTA and veggies are bitter and gross... if you have the opposite gene make up, you do not taste the PTA you just taste the veggie and like it (or don't depending on normal taste buds). The gene makes the Proteins on your taste bud not react or react.

I thought that was fascinating! So it showed them do a genetic profile of a group of kids, and they wrote the results of who would or would not taste this stuff. Then they gave all the kids this junk and it was right.. so the parents were saying "I'll be more empathetic that suzie doesn't like her broccoli now!". Some kids drinking the stuff made horrid faces (like it was vinegar!), the rest of them just acted like they took a sip of Water.< /p>

It said as you get older your sense of smell changes and so more adults with the gene eat the veggies (this is where I trailed off and fell asleep).

Now THAT is interesting!!! I've always suspected that there was some enzyme that made certain veggies (or other foods) taste totally different to one person than another. It's like with salmon.... either you love it or your hate it. Same with brussel sprouts. I'm gonna go to the Nova website and see if I can find the info. I love that kind of stuff!! WHAT A DORK!!

People with the TAS2R38 genotype have a heightened sensitivity to bitter taste. Their genetic makeup includes a gene discovered in 2003 that controls the presence of receptors for a bitter-tasting compound called 6-n-propylthiouracil (PROP).

Scientists believe that the presence or absence of this gene can help account for individual taste preferences and eating habits. A study published in February 2005 found that children who had this gene were more partial to sweet beverages and foods than those without it (though this effect seemed to wear off by adulthood, when race/ethnicity was the strongest determinant). Researchers theorized that these children may be less likely to find vegetables palatable, which could limit their intake of important nutrients.

On the plus side, an earlier study suggested that those with the TAS2R38 gene were less likely to indulge in underage alcohol consumption, experiencing it as more bitter and irritating than do those without the gene.

Nutritionists hope that this type of information will help improve dietary planning for children.

You don't DRINK the vinegar, you hold it in your mouth, then spit it out. lol.

Surprisingly, my 10yo dd LOVES that program Nova Science Now! We watch it all the time.

Pammie... maybe frozen peas or corn would work the same as the blueberries but not stain? Make a vanilla yogurt/protein powder/frozen blueberry smoothie w/the berries...

Work today... got a little burned @ the pool yesterday, esp. my eye lids... weird. It's grey today, calling for thunderstorms, so just as well I've got all this work to do!

Enjoy your Friday!

Morning Girls.

Well, confession time. I did not make the -5lbs for the month. BUT, I have a renewed interest in doing it again. Gonna get this thing right one of these months.

Hubby and I will be leaving here in about 20 minutes to go to the gym. Then it's off to Wal-Mart to get my big shopping done. Do the stock up thing. Big day for me. lol.

Everyone make it a good one.

Good morning, Violets..

We had a heck of a storm last night. Rain just POURING for awhile. I checked the pool this morning and it's 88 degrees so that's a good thing. Air temp is 62. I'll be jumping in the pool at 10 this morning so I get one exercise session done before Ethan arrives at noon. Then I'll try to get him to come in with me this afternoon. He's not totally sure about the "fimming" pool.

Suzie... not even going to weigh in until August. I took pictures of me July 2 and will take more Aug. 2. I took pictures at the beginning of this journey and then stopped after a year. It's time to get the visual motivation going again.

Laura.. Grady was over here yesterday for a while. He's getting so big. He's now rolling over from front to back and back to front. Kris says he tries to pull himself up to a sitting position, but can't quite get that yet. He only had one crying jab and that's because he was hungry. Other than that he was very happy and loved being outside on Gramma's lap.

Michelle.. I'm loving the book, but the only problem with the Kindle on this particular book is it didn't show a table of contents and I don't know how long the book actually is and how far along I am in it. I'm on chapter 18. Do you remember how many chapters it is??

Dr. Pam.. hope things are looking better this morning. The pictures you sent were interesting to look at. I always swore that if I won the lottery I'd get my nose made smaller and less noticable, but that ain't happening. Not at my age and not without winning some cash.

I'm doing well on my eating.. my only downfall is having 8-10 Wintergreen lifesavers at night while I'm reading. Other than that, no sweets during the day. Actually the sugar buzz and then let down helps me to sleep. Good excuse, eh?

TracyK.. speaking from experience, you need to stay connected in here no matter what. We're all in this together and we're all dealing with the same weight issues. All the stuff that surrounds those issues is the tough part and just being in here and venting helps with that part. I used to be on Wellbutrin. The doc prescribed it because it was supposed to not only help with depression, but also with weight. It was ok, but I didn't have the band then. If I had that combination, I bet it would have worked so much better.

Janie..how are you doing, girl?? Are you getting some exercise and did you check into in person support groups?

Gotta go find some Breakfast and get ready to jump in the pool for the first round of exercises. Everyone have a great day. Be good to yourselves and NO ice cream today. TGIF.

Morning gals

Suzie - I didn't hit -5 either but i'm -5 from yesterday so i guess that is a plus.

still on liquids today, trying to choke down coffee and it is not working so well, so i'll give up and move to Water untili get up and working

I'm glad for my new beginning, i'm going to stay on liquids as long as i possibly can, then move to soft mushies, and when i go to the nutritionist on Monday i'm going to get a reality check there too. I am going to hit my ultimate goal by the end of the year and that is that... ok i plan on much sooner with working and getting on track, but that is realistic. i am only 25lbs away and this fill should give me a good jumpstart. I've now walked for 10 days solid so Monday is going to start water aeorbics or just weight training, but I will be at the Y 3 days a week!

ok there is my morning convincing myself I can do this, for me this time, not partially to look good for anyone else, all for my mental well being.

Soul searching has been a good thing for me, I still have a lot to figure out, but starting with me is a great start. A good attitude will get you further in life than a negative one.

LOOK GOOD AND FEEL GOOD

I am so funny, cause ya all know i don't beleive it...lol

I do thank you all for just being friends,

Judy - I got your rain today, it is ugly out there, rain most of the day, tomorrow is going to be perfect.

Good morning...

I need to bring Macy to the dr this morning. I could hardly sleep last night because she was complaining about her side hurting. She is ooohing and owwing every few seconds. I am hoping that maybe she just has a bruised rib or something. Cross your fingers for us.

btw...thanks for the kind words ladies :crying:

Which side Tracy???? High or low--from the sound it is higher, if you are hoping a rib. Appendix always worries me! Rick and our son have lost theirs, the girls and I both still have ours. And both of them it was out of the blue, no warning....well guess the pain WAS warning!! LOL

Will be in touch, off to a BUST MY BUTT day. Ready for the weekend.

I can't believe today is the last day of July!!

I have had one of the slowest weeks ever!!

I wonder if I will make my rent this week!!!

OH well, next week seems super busy.

Tracyk, hang in there.

Tracyks you too!!!!

I hope everyone has a good day and nice weekend!!

I don't know, Judy, because it was a library book, but I looked it up on Amazon but they didn't have the Contents listed, either, but it does say that it's 384 pages, if that helps (do Kindle pages match w/printed pages?). Do you never get a TOC w/Kindle books?

I hadn't thought about it before, but I guess it would take some getting used to not having the physical book to know how far along you are... seems strange! I'm still on the fence about all this new-fangled technology... I do love the physicality of a book...

TracyK, I was on Prozac for a little as an undergraduate in college and it was the best thing I ever did for the time. I was the single parent of a baby, working full time and going to college full time, in a lot of debt and having trouble making ends meet. I found that I was so stressed I couldn't even sleep although I was exhausted. I had too many thoughts about upcoming tests, getting to work, paying for daycare, paying my credit card bills (with almost no money), etc. I wasn't on it for a long but it got me through a difficult time. I would highly recommend it if it could help you in the same way.

Today is a good day and bad day at the same time. The baby had another rough night and every time I fell asleep she was up crying again. I turned the alarm off at 6 AM this morning and the baby started crying to be fed. So I go to feed her and I fell asleep. I rushed into work at 8:45 this morning and I was supposed to be in at 7:00. Bad - Very, very late with no phone call . . . Good - I feel like a human being today instead of a zombie like yesterday.

I miss my sleep :0) . . . especially on a Sunday morning cuddling with my DH until after 10:00 AM with no place I need to be. Will those days ever come again???

Hello again,

Well, I woke up and went straight to the shower. The doctor said to let the warm Water run down your face (not directly) from the back...IT FELT SOOO GOOD! I smelled like surgery (hard to explain...but I did). Now I feel great. I am getting prettier everyday!

I am sure I am dropping weight this week. We will see!

xoxoox bbl

Pamela

just checked my aol email... got the pics.

:crying: