Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, Who has an AUGUST surgery date??!!

Formerfatchick...just saw your post! So excited that you're having it done at NYU too. I'm worried about the liquids, but at the same time, it's two weeks and I've read some stories here about people on the table for surgery and not being able to have it done because their liver was too fatty. I've got to believe based on how fat I am and the crap that I eat, that my liver is ridiculously fatty. So...I'm sticking to the shakes....or at least that's what I'm saying now!

I think what would be helpful is to use this forum as the place for support when we feel like we need to reach for the non-liquid item. May sound pollyanna, but maybe if we support eachother we can get through it!! I start on Monday.....ugh. ;-)

Hi everyone, just wanted to get your thoughts. I am scheduled for Aug 10th (can't wait) but....I am getting some negative feedback from people with stories of friends who had the surgery and then didn't lose much, or gained alot back. I'm so scared to do this and then not have the results I am hoping for. Have you all heard good/bad things? Just venting and stressing :thumbdown:

What I've heard is that the lap band is a tool, not a cure. I've had two friends who have had the surgery done, one just a few months ago and her progress has been slow, and one who lost 100 pounds her first year. The one who has had slow weight loss hasn't been following the program eats sugar, etc. Ultimately, we have to work the band, not consider it the magic pill that is going to allow us to lose weight without even trying. I haven't told alot of people that I'm having the surgery for the specific reason that I didn't want their negative opinions. Only I know what's right for me and after 30+ years of being overweight, I believe I need this surgery to live a happy and healthy life.

APPROVED!!!!! I'm freaking out I'm so excited! Surgery August 3rd, NYU, Dr. Fielding. Sent in insurance request to CIGNA on July 2nd, found out today. So excited!! Good luck to all of you that are waiting to hear. :-)

Jenny CONGRATS !!!!! Let me know how your hospital experience goes at NYU !!!

AWESOME !!! :thumbdown:

BTW are you going to the support group tommorow? it's @ 6 pm Skirball conf room on the 2nd floor D elevators. Highly recommended for pre-ops. I'll be there!

Edited by formerfatchick
adding information

Hi everyone, just wanted to get your thoughts. I am scheduled for Aug 10th (can't wait) but....I am getting some negative feedback from people with stories of friends who had the surgery and then didn't lose much, or gained alot back. I'm so scared to do this and then not have the results I am hoping for. Have you all heard good/bad things? Just venting and stressing :frown:

LL67,

jenny is right on the money this is only a tool and not a magic cure so it is totally based on how you use it to help you. In my particular case I am couting on the band to ehlp me control my huge unsatisfying appetite that has put me @ 267. Once I have that under control then its easier to make the right food decisions. You also need to remeber that long tern weight loss is nothing more than a math equation

burn more calories - less calories consumed = weight loss

so if you incorporate a mild excercise program on top of the restricted calories we'll consume and the motivation of a steady weight loss then BOOM !! there you go we wont be fatchicks :w00t: any more !!!!

Have faith in yourself and your decision and stick to it...no matter what they're will always be hecklers and people trying to down play whatever you do..so YOU CAN DO THIS !!!! & ALL OF US WILL !!!! :thumbdown:

Thanks for the feedback, not trying to be negative, sorry if I sound that way! My husband and mother are not very happy about me having this surgery. My BMI is 37, which is unhealthy (I'm on blood pressure medicine and my sugar is borderline diabetic) so I need to lose weight badly! I just have not done anything about it since my first child(7 years ago). I really feel that I need this extra help. Guess I'm just looking for some validation! I don't eat massive amounts of food, but I do pick all day and eat the WRONG things and don't exercise. I know I have alot of behavior modification to work on.

LL67 don't apologize!! I don't think you're being negative at all, but we should be able to be anyway we want to be here even if we're having a bad day right? Sucks that your family isn't supportive. Hope they come around for you!

formerfatchick, I'm in Arizona on vacation - I know you are probably asking yourself, who goes to Arizona in July, it's 113 degrees today - visiting family!! Anyway, won't be able to make it to the support group, but anxious to hear about your experience and what you learn there if you're willing to share?!?

LL67.. no worries !! Say exactly what you feel and how, my point was that it's gonna take some work but that it's incredibly doable and we're all hear to help eachother out through the whole process !!!

I understand about the family, my sister ( who's NEVER had a weight problem EVER and was back to 115 2 months after the baby) was very critical and not supportive, Ive asked her to be there for me but I'm still not 100% sure she's onboard...my mother..well I'm not eveing telling her till after there is a noticeable difference bcuz she'll just freak the crap out and make it more stressful ( we live in seperate states)

You do have behavior mods to do but find a motivating factor...for me I placed a picture of me from 10 yrs ago ( 5'4 145lbs..I was a hottie !! :thumbdown:) inside my closet door, so every morning when I start a new daily episode of the " It sucks to be me, cause I look horrible in everything I can fit into " show I can pick myself up and see what I am going to work towards...that and a picture of the victoria secrets lingerie that I want to buy to knock my hubby's socks off ( LMAO !! :frown:)

jenny..no prob will give u an update..I'm sure u dont miss the city smell though !!!!! ( LOL )

amicheletti78 I see you are going to have your surgery done in Mexcio and I am to on Aug 17th and I start my liquid diet on August 1. I just came back from applying for my passport my question to you is where will you be doing your fill at? Will you travel back to Mexico or find a local fill doctor?

bthom21, I will be getting my fills done in Mexico. I think its a good idea to do them under fluro and that is way to overpriced when you go to a Dr. that didn't do your surgery around here. Its actually cheaper for me to fly to San Diego get the fill and fly home on a Sat than it is to pay another doctor to do it. I also hear that when they do it under fluro you can get more fill. I am a surgery nurse so I know that if an emergency unfill was to happen I could get that done at my hospital as we access ports regularly here. I do think it is important to have emergency care lined up locally. So definately check into that before surgery because you never know when you will need help. I am going to Mexico because my insurance doesn't cover WLS... Go figure. Who will be doing your surgery? Mine will be done by Dr. Ortiz, and I start my preop diet on Aug 4th (not looking forward to the Protein shakes!)

Received approval today and have a date - August 10th.

YIPPEE!:thumbdown:

I'm going August 17th. Im so excited I can't wait.

August 10th here I come! Final labs and tests finished today. Hospital is paid. Surgeon is almost paid. Stocked up on most of the suggested items, even new jammies, gotta have new jammies to go to the hospital, I don't stay in the hospital garb any longer than I have to. (I am a long haul truck driver and so I have to plan way ahead, since I won't be back home until 3 days before surgery.)

QUOTE]

Hey Tiffany, I find it amazing everytime I hear of a woman out there doing a traditional man's job and kicking butt !! You go girl !!! :thumbup: Saw your profession and immediately thought of the bad ass chick on ice road truckers this season !!

Good point on the jammies, this is my first ever hospital stay what are the general rules, guidelines and tips to keep in mind..anyone know ??

I just got my date today... August 7th! I am so excited!!!

August 26th here!!!! :thumbup:

Most all of you are before me, I look forward to hearing your ups and downs and learning from them.

We can do it!!

I am so looking forward to opening up the bins of clothes I have in smaller sizes packed away in the backs of closets... and getting rid of the big clothes once and for all!! Imagine how much more space I am going to have in my house? :thumbup: