Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are there people on here so chipper the day after surgery?

You know what i wondered the same thing. I was in PAIN! That liquid loratab did nothing for me! I came on here 3 days post op and I see posts like " 3hrs out and feeling on top of the world". I thought to myself either I'm missing something or my surgeon was a quack. How is it possible to feel that darn good after your abdomen has been tampered with?

Hiatal hernia repair WILL slow your recovery down and you probably won't feel as well as others. As for the differences between the rest of us, nobody can truly explain the difference between me and you, or you and someone else. I guess we are all "wired" up different. I do believe in the power of postivie thinking but that can't always make the difference. Not laying in bed or the recliner for days on end will make a difference. Get up and move and your muscles will stretch and retract a jillion times and you will start to feel better. Moving around also helps with the killer gas pains. I had my gallbladder removed back in 1983 -- when they cut you from your sternum to your appendix. I MADE myself get out of the bed that afternoon even though my doctor said he didn't think I'd be able to. AND I walked down the hall and back. Nearly killed me, LOL, but the next day I felt not nearly as bad, and the day after that, I felt really not bad at all...but a man in the next room had steadfastly refused to get out of bed. I heard the nurse tell him that "the lady next door got out of bed the same day". His response was "g**d***n amazon!" LOL. It just boils down, sometimes, to what you are able to ignore (or not).

I can also relate to the "2nd Day Blues". My hospital stay was overnight, so I was no morphine and felt no pain at all. But, Day #2 was very uncomfortable, especially during the evening. All was tolerable, and because I had read so much about it, I expected Day #2 to be a challenge. I can happily tell you that beginning Day #3, it was much better. I also recommend walking, walking, walking. That's the only way you can get rid of the gas in your system and the bloated feeling you may be experiencing. I was banded only 3 weeks ago and walking has really helped out a lot. Good luck to you!

Sounds like a lot of malingering to me.

My operation was at 730 AM March 31. I felt great that afternoon with just some tightness around the incisions.

Day after, the only pain was a little around the big incision when turning in certain positions. Never used any painkiller.

Out of the hospital day after surgery. Went to work for a couple of hours that afternoon.

Two days after surgery, I went back to work full time and have not regretted it for one second. BTW, I started driving two days after surgery.

All tenderness at the big incision area was gone in 6 days and it never was a problem anyway.

The surgeon said I did so well that he suggested pureed foods after 10 days and regular foods 7 days after that, carefully with experimentation.

If you would get out and do something instead of laying around, you probably would feel better.

Surgery Date Was 04/22/09. I was able to go the work the following day. My daughter had her surgery last July and was not able to work. Go Figure!

My operation was at 730 AM March 31. I felt great that afternoon with just some tightness around the incisions.

Day after, the only pain was a little around the big incision when turning in certain positions. Never used any painkiller.

Out of the hospital day after surgery. Went to work for a couple of hours that afternoon.

Two days after surgery, I went back to work full time and have not regretted it for one second. BTW, I started driving two days after surgery.

All tenderness at the big incision area was gone in 6 days and it never was a problem anyway.

The surgeon said I did so well that he suggested pureed foods after 10 days and regular foods 7 days after that, carefully with experimentation.

If you would get out and do something instead of laying around, you probably would feel better.

Oh please :rolleyes: It doesn't sound like malingering at all. In fact, if you cared to read anything about the human body, you would know we all heal at different paces. The OP never said she was lying around all day. She said she didn't feel good, which is to be expected after surgery.

To the OP, I didn't feel well either. I went back to work in a week but my port area bothered me quite a bit. In fact, it still bothers me at times during exercise and I'm 4 months post op. I hope you feel better soon!

Hi there,

I think you have missed the point of the original poster, which was just a comment about those that have no problem with the surgery and the fact that they did.

I am not quite sure how you managed to assume that (whomever you were referring to) was faking feeling bad to get out of work, etc.

I am also not at all sure how you assumed that (again, whomever you were referring to) was "laying around". I also posted that I felt terrible the day of and day after my surgery but what I did not mention was that I, just like you, never used any kind of painkillers. I also walked up and down my street and back the day of surgery and every day following, increasing the distance each time.

The tone that you used in your post seemed a bit harsh for people that were just making statements as to how they faired after surgery.

Regardless, congratulations on your absolute success on your surgery, and working right after it and driving 2 days later. Good for you. Maybe next time you could not accuse others of being lazy and trying to excuse themselves out of their duties when you really have no clue what they are going through. :rolleyes:

Yeah I agree - I had my surgery on tuesday and that night I was a complete bitch, I told my mum why did I even get the surgery, they should just wheel me back in and take it out - The next day wasn't so bad and today although the port side is sore as I feel wayyyyy better - In the mornings though I still feel like crap until I have a couple of sips of my Multivitamin so it's just one day at a time and thankfully the pain lessens every day

Edit* One thing I will add - people that say there fine 3 hours after surgery it makes you wonder if they actually lied about the date (say surgery was a wednesday and they come on that day saying it went great when actually surgery was 2 days beforehand). It also depends on the anasthetic - I've had surgery before but I always take forever to come out - 3 hours later I was still half unconcious and feeling like I was going to throw up - Yes everyones different but it does make you question whether or not people are deliberately lying on here to make there story seem like more of a success (not pointing fingers at all.)

Edited by Sarah.R

I was banded Monday, and so, so sore. Also hitting those painkillers like a skid row drunk! The gas does hurt, it has nowhere to go and has to absorb into tissue since it is free floating in abdominal/chest cavity. Moving does help, but HOW LONG until it goes away?? I am surprised at the length of the port incision- 3 inches? jeesh. Also had to come home with catheter - I have a rebellious bladder that goes on strike whenever it's traumatized. So I'm taking it easy at home b/c I can't see carrying my pee around in a purse- ha Beth

I almost killed someone the day I got banded. I had anesthesia 3 times before this and each time I woke right up and was ready to run a friggin marathon so I expected the same. OH NO! I woke up all groggy with a mask on my face which I can't stand so they say I can take it off. I took that off and then I'm yelling get it out of me it hurts. The nurse told me to "shut up other people are in recovery". So I'm in recovery for 10 minutes and they take me to a room and 80 billion people come in and start talking to me and I'm still half asleep and the nurse is like can you get up and walk around yet?! Then I finally did get up and I burst into tears because I felt like if I moved at all I'd explode. I got discharged the next day and ended up readmitted 3 days later with dehydration. The surgeon on call said I was "abnormally" swollen and that was why I couldn't really get liquids down. I didn't feel pain free until about 4 weeks later. It was god awful.