Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone NOT required to do a pre-op diet?

I got scheduled for my May 18th surgery about a week and a half ago. I was expecting her to tell me when to start a pre-op diet, and she says "You don't have to do a pre-op diet or anything, until the night before." I was really surprised.

It seems everyone on here had to do a pre-op diet. I'm trying to trust that my surgeon knows what he is doing...but I'm a little freaked out that something will go wrong if I don't do a pre-op diet at all....like that on May 15th at my pre-op appointment, he'll examine me and say I have to wait a couple of more weeks to shrink my liver down or something. I weigh about 245 and I DO carry most of my weight in my stomach...which seems to be the most likely candidate to do a pre-op diet.

I don't know. I'm confused. Anyone else out there NOT have to do a pre-op diet?

I have to do apreop, alot don't it just depends on your doctor. If you are worried you could always try doing 2 shakes a day and then having something light for a meal. I know that the diet is to shrink the liver so if I wasn't asked to do a preop either I'd be worried, maybe try ringing and asking your surgeon or his nurse again and if they still say you don't have to do it then don't worry about it - You're lucky if you don't have to do it. Good luck with your surgery - mines on the 12th =)

I am also being banded May 18 - I have to be on clears for 7 days prior; but that's it. No shakes or anything. It is more a surgeon's preference on the pre-op diet, but I also know as a nurse that works on a surgical floor - clears for a few days before hand will definiately help the visual field during lap surgery, so you can bet I will stick to it....

Preop diets are not required by all surgeons...and even those who do require one can vary it depending on the patient etc. I am sure they feel with your starting weight and the results of your tests that you don't need one. If you are truly unsure, call back and tell them you're scared; they can either give you one or reassure you. But truly, you just need to do what your doc wants. If s/he felt you needed to be on one I'm sure you'd be given one.

no pre-op diet for me either! From my point of view, it was easy to do the liquids right after surgery, because I wasn't hungry at all and I wasn't already sick of them from doing 2 weeks of pre-op. I think it would have much harder to follow the post-op diet, if I had already done the pre-op. It was great to go to scale every day and be down a lb.

Cindy

no, none for me either. I asked specifically and they said no, just fasting the night before.

Good Luck!

I had surgery 12/22 and I didn't have to do a preop diet either and I weighed 284 @ my time of surgery. I also think it was easier to do the liquids after and I had restriction right away. I'm currently 230 so I'm down 54 pounds in 4 months I say don't worry if your doctor told u don't do the diet.

I had surgery on 8/29/08 and I was not required to do a pre op diet either. This requirement does very by the surgeon and the health of the patient. I was informed that if your liver is larger than the surgeon recommends, they tend to place you on the pre-op liquid diet. I was pleasently surprised when I didnt have to complete this. :-) I did have to start Clear Liquids 24 hours before surgery but that was all!!! I am down 80 lbs and loving my band!!!!! Good luck!!

I didn't have to do a preop diet either. My doc just said cut down on sweets and salt the week before, and liquids the day before surgery. After surgery I did 21 days of liquid and then right to food. It was easy, I wasn't hungry at all and felt the 21 days of liquid really restarted my body and my mind! Good luck!

NO PRE OP DIET FOR ME...HAD MY CONSULT ON MONDAY APRIL 13TH 09 HAD SURGERY TUESDAY APRIL 14TH 09...WENT REALLY QUICK I WAS KIND OF NERVOUS TO, BUT EVERYTHING WENT WELL...GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

Wow -- I'm surprised to hear that so many people didn't have preop diets. I was 230 as of my surgery, and my doctor had me do 3 days of Clear liquids (that included 2 Protein shakes per day, broth, Jello, Water, Crystal Light. . the usual).

According to my doctor, the diet does 2 things -- it shrinks your liver and it makes your liver less slippery. Doing that lets your doctor avoid manipulating your liver (which has to be moved so they can get to the band) as much during surgery, and that will cut down on the amount of pain you have afterwards.

Definitely ask your doctor about this. Not only will a few days of clear liquids cut down on pain, it will jump start your weight loss a bit too.

Best,

Catherine

as far as I know I won't have to do a pre op diet

My doc doesn't do one. He said that he encourages us to stick to a healthy diet before surgery and that should be enough for the liver issues.

I asked him why he doesn't require it and he said that it simply comes down to patient non-compliance. The research shows that only about 10% of people actually stuck to the pre op diet and the majority of the surgeries were just fine. So he said that unless there is some extreme case he sees no need to make me miserable for an extra week on all liquids, the post op will be bad enough!

I'm in the same boat...my doctor told me I don't need to do a pre-op diet and I am scheduled for May 18th. Since I am freaked out and want to make sure all is copecetic, I have been trying to do a sort of pre-op diet that I am making up. But it does make sense that the post-op would be easier if you didn't torment yourself ahead of time. Hmmm...

After reading this though, no matter what I do, I will definatley do pure clear liquids for 3 days prior. Do medifast shakes count as Protein shakes?

Sounds like the question should be: was there anyone who WAS required to do a pre-op diet?

I started my pre-op diet and I'm worried. My diet is 10 days low sugar, all liquids with the last 3 days only clear liquids.

The problem is: there's hardly any Protein in it at all. The stuff I've been reading on the internet says the diet will be low-carb, high-protein. But the only Protein in my guidelines is 3 or fewer servings of dairy: milk, yogurt or cottage cheese only. Everything else is Water, juice or diet drinks. So, what, I'm not allowed to eat Soup??