Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Josiebies TT and Breast Lift 5/11/09

hi,

i've been reading everyone's journey on their plastic surgeries and have gotten alot of good information for use in mine.

since i've gotten so much great help from everyone, i've decided to journey my own upcoming process.

i'm scared to death but will not let it stop me. my biggest fear is developing blood clots. this has been my fear since my lapband surgery which was minimal compared to the one i have coming up.

just 2 days ago my boyfriend's aunt passed away as a result of one....she was old and had lots of health issues which caused it....but i was spooked a bit by it...was it a sign?

luckily dr schulman just posted about this subject and it made me feel better.

since being banded, i wanted to avoid PS. the first year i worked out like crazy but in the end i have extra skin on my belly that looks ok with clothes on...and "not so much" with clothes off. i want to complete this journey so decided to have PS.

i figured while under the knife i might as well get the "girls lifted" ..... gravity is taking them south.

my preop is next tuesday 4/28. i figure i will get alot of answers then. i am looking to rent one of those recliners that lift you up. i cant find one yet but will keep trying.

my sister in law is a nurse and will stay with me 3 days. she is normally a sweetheart but turns into "nurse ratchett" when it comes to recovery. so i know i'm in good hands with her.

then my cousin is flying in from NYC to babysit me for a week.

i'm a baby when it comes to pain...

my surgery is 5/11.....the doctor said it will be a 7 hour operation. it is outpatient...so i will go home that day with my sister in law.

anyway....just wanted to start this up and any suggestions are completely appreciated....

what was the best advice you got? best products you used? etc.

thank you ahead of time

josie

Hi Josiebies:

I don't have any advice because I'm scheduled just after you for my own Tummy Tuck. I'm on the 14th.

I'm hoping that you'll share the pre-op appointment details with me. I go on Wednesday for mine.

Isn't it great to think that our tummies will be flat again!

Thanks for sharing, and best wishes to you.

I love my band!

Sue

hi sue,

i will totally share the info. i've made a list of questions to go over with them.

i'm getting excited too....cant wait to have a flat tummy too...

will keep you posted and please keep me posted as well.

thanks

josie

Yay on your own thread, Josiebies!

I have to admit, being in hospital for the first week after surgery meant that I actually didn't need a lot. I never ended up getting a toilet riser and I didn't use the wedge pillow I got. Though I imagine if I'd come home straight away, I'd at least need the wedge pillow for the first week, if not a recliner.

I did however love having a chair in the shower, and that's something I'd say was my essential!

You're on the countdown now! You'll be in flatlands before you know it!

hi

Due to severe weather here in Houston....my pre-op has been postponed until Thursday.

Sue...so keep me posted on your pre-op and i will do the same for you.

thanks

Hi Josie:

I just got home from my pre-op appointments. First was with plastic surgeon. They did the following:

1. Collected my portion of costs ($4,700)

2. Had me sign informed consent

3. Discussed procedure with surgeon

4. Nurse took vitals and showed me the pain pump and

answered my remaining questions.

5. Gave me alot of written docs to read regarding pre

post surgery

6. Got five prescriptions to fill (3 of them are for anti- nausea)

Then I went over to hospital. They did the following

1. Collected my portion of hospital visit ($1,625)

2. Nurse took vitals.

3. Discussed medical history.

4. Met with anesthesiologist for five minutes - discussion of previous anesthesiology issues - nausea & vomiting.

No blood work or EKG necessary because I'm healthy and under 50 years old. My bp was 110 over 70 - yippee!

I think the hardest part of the pre-op was the drive over there in rush hour traffic.

Best wishes to you.

I love my band!

Sue

hi sue,

my pre-op was very similar to yours. the only difference i'm not going into hospital. he has his own surgery center.

i didnt meet with the doctor this time. it was the surgical nurse and i felt so comfortable after our meeting. she had a TT 10 years ago and said she would do it in a heart beat again.

she went over the good, bad and ugly and didnt sugar coat it. i was glad because i think i have a clear pic of what to expect.

they showed terrible pics of what happens if you smoke after surgery. i've never smoked so it isnt a problem but the pics were pretty scary.

i'm getting excited too....i actually wished they would have knocked me out then and there and did the surgery....wouldnt have to worry. altho' right now i'm not. but closer to it i may be

i have one potential issue but dont think it will occur. i had to have a biopsy because my pap came back a little funny. the gyn doesnt think it's anything but if it was (i find out thursday) then of course i would have to revise this surgery.

anyway when i was a kid, when we jumped into a deep pool...my friends and i would hold hands and jump in.

so we can jump into this surgery together.

oh one last thing...my doctor likes you to sleep in a recliner for the first days. it helps the blood flow which in turn helps healing in the belly area. i tried to rent one to no avail...so i bought one online last night. hope it comes in time.

anyway take care

josie

Josie:

Thanks for sharing the details.

Best wishes on your biopsy. I had terrible bleeding issues so I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago. Found out from the tissues they removed that I had a condition called adenomyosis. I would have had to have my uterus removed eventually. It's #2 to the lapband as far as things that I wish I'd done sooner.

I got a recliner about a month ago.

Today I ordered a bed wedge from JC Penney. It was on sale for $30. Should make bed more comfortable too.

I'll be thinking of you on 5/11. I'll be looking for your update when you feel up to it.

I already bought some matching panties & bra so that I can take before & after pics. I'll probably post them, but we'll see.

Last night at support group I asked what would be helpful for healing. They said hi Protein, and take extra Vitamin C.

Best wishes to you on your surgery.

Take care.

Sue

I'm glad you got a recliner. I love mine (borrowed from a friend) and will be sad to part with it when I must because it is so comfortable.

Also, I highly recommend a wedge pillow. I still use mine and I'm four weeks out. I sleep with so many pillows now it's not funny.

Three on the wedge, one under my knees and two little ones under each elbow. But our surgeries are not identical, I'm sure you'll create something that works for you.

Also, make sure you eat with your medication. It's easy because we are banded to forget to eat, but you will become sick, like puking and that hurts sick, if you don't. And it's real vomiting, not a PB. Stock up on saltines and canned Soup if that's something you don't normally keep oh hand but can tolerate.

And you probably won't need a toilet raiser if you've been doing your squats. You're legs will be plenty strong to move you about.

Hope that helps.

thanks julie.....glad you are doing well.

i have been concerned about pain meds. when i was banded...they gave me a pain shot and i was on all fours for 12 hours sick from it.

yesterday the nurse said they mix alot of anti-nausia meds in with the pain meds.

thanks for the heads up on the crackers and Soup.< /p>

please keep me posted on your progress....i'm reading all the platic surgery threads with baited breath.

hey sue...i bought a bikini (which no one in the world will ever see me in ha!) to take before/after pics. now i'm too embarrassed to ask anyone to take the "befores". but i think it is important to see the progress.

thanks for the great info you have given me.

well girls....thanks again and have a great weekend

josie

Josie,

Take the damn photos.

I took my befores hold a tape measurer around my belly and my arm with a focus on the number. It was cool to see I lost 2 inches on my arms immediately.

I've yet to take my afters.

I wish I had bought a bathing suit because I was wearing unmatching bra and panties, which while I do that regularly, I don't really want the world to know.

ha! julie + mimilou ....you are both right.....

i did not take before photo's before lapband and regret it.

i keep thinking..."this time next week....i will be in nah-nah land"

julie....i'm psyched you were able to take spin class so soon. i will probably start there when i am able to go back to exercise.

well i'm glad you and lellow are doing so well. i will definitely keep you guys posted once i have my operation.

the only thing i have to find out is my biopsy result on thursday morning. so if that's ok it'a all systems go.

thanks for your "gentle push" on the photos :unsure:

josie

Josiebies- I'm getting excited for you and Sue! I did not by a toilet riser or a wedge pillow. I've been sleeping in a recliner ever since the surgery though. I can't imagine trying to sleep in my own bed yet. We just moved one of our recliners into the bedroom and I pretty much live in it! Getting on and off the toilet has been a breeze for me, but I'm only 5'3". If I was a lot taller, it might be difficult. I agree with Juli, if you've been doing a lot of squats or leg exercises, this won't be a problem. I too was very worried about blood clots. It seems like anywhere I could find really bad complications from TT it was related to blood clots. My ps had me wear compression hose (TED hose) and the compression wraps on top of that. He had me keep the hose on for 24 hours post op and told me to keep moving my calves often while lying in the recliner. I also made sure to get up and move regularly. This keeps the blood flowing through your legs. I'm sure you will be just fine. If you have any other questions, ask away!

I promise to post some pictures soon. I can't get over not only how flat my belly is, but my hips and butt have shrunk several inches!

I wore TEDs for the whole week I was in hospital. They refused to let me take them off!

I went back to sleeping on my bed, without a wedge pillow, pretty much from day 8 post surgery. I just slept on my side.

So I think it's one of those things - some people can't live without some things and others don't find they need them. Though I think a recliner is pretty necessary for the first week post op at least.

Not long to go now Josie!