Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Come On SC!

I'm waiting on Palmetto Baptist to start doing them sometime in June or July. Is everyone honestly happy they did it? I planned on having by-pass on May 21 but changed my mind to Lap band. now I'm having second thoughts. Seems like a lot of complaints about slippage and blockage. Any advice?

I'm waiting on Palmetto Baptist to start doing them sometime in June or July. Is everyone honestly happy they did it? I planned on having by-pass on May 21 but changed my mind to Lap band. now I'm having second thoughts. Seems like a lot of complaints about slippage and blockage. Any advice?

Go for the LapBand! For all kinds of reasons: $, health complications, food adjustments.

Best wishes as you continue your decision making.

Lapbander for 8 days,

SC-Cindy

Hi

bandedgirlSC, I live on Johns Island and had my surgery on March 14th. I was banded in Chattanooga, TN, by Dr. Ponce. I just received my second fill and have lost 33 lbs, so far. I am so happy to have gotten the surgery, I am learning slowly what works for me and have alot of bad habbits to change. I know taking the weight off won't happen overnight and I didn't gain it overnight either. I am a mom of 4 sons, from age 21 down to 6 years. Gretchen

Hi, LPKIng23, I read your posts, how did your meeting go at MUSC? I went there and was scheduled for surgery in February and at my 2nd consultation, at my preop visit, the doctor tried to persuade me to have the gastric bypass, he had said it was more successful, and he wasn't having success with the band. I really knew that I wanted to have the band since I first heard about it. I also found out that the doctor at Musc learned the proceedure from doctor Ponce, so I checked more into Dr. Ponce and the Gastric Band Institute of Chattanooga. I was pleased with all I learned and even though it was 7 hours away, decided that was where I would have my surgery. I saved almost 5,000 dollars also. I was self pay. I have no regrets. Dr. Ponce has done hundreds of these surgeries also. Musc has done just a few.

I live in Enoree, and will be getting banded in Greenville sometime in June. I am nervous about the procedure, but then again, I am excited about being smaller and healthier. I hope everyone that has been banded is pleased with the band...it makes me feel better anyway:myscared: to know that so many have had success with the band. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

I'm getting banded 7/11. Did you have yours yet? How is it going?

Hi

I am new to this site. I have been searching for others from SC as well. I live near Columbia. I have not had the surgery yet,,but am starting this coming week with the pre op tests. I sure could use some support here!! I am scared to death, yet excited. I am 50 years old and have been big as far back as I can remember. I have so many questions and could use some friends here in SC..so if you are out there please let me know.

DianaSC

Hi DianaSC

, I live in Irmo, am 51 and was banded on 7/11 at Palmetto Baptist. Going for my first fill Monday. You should try to attend the Buddy lunch Monday, Sept. 10 at the Weight Mgmt Ctr. at noon. Where are you getting banded?

Hi Anewme

Thank you for the reply!! I am going through Lexington, have you heard anything about that clinic? I have already had my first appt. with Dr. Givens. Can anyone go to the Buddy lunch? Or do you have to be going through Baptist?

Thanks so much!!

I do not know anything about Lex except they have been doing it longer. I believe you have to be going through Baptist to go to the Buddy lunch. Lex should have a support group. I 'd encourage you to go.

Hi, Angie:

Wow, you're doing wonderfully with your weight loss!

I live in Beaufort, SC. I was banded on July 13th, have lost 25 pounds so far, have about 60 to go. (I got my first fill in Denver, NC on Aug 24th, 1 cc. I could not hold more.) A fill center is supposed to open in Hilton Head in December, 30-45 minutes from me, which will make it much easier.

While I have a lot of restriction during the day, I'm don't have much at night, which is discouraging. I get hungry several hours after dinner, and I usually end up eating because my stomach is growling! That is my biggest problem, and I'm trying to lick it. I'm glad I had the surgery because I have struggled with weight all of my life, and now I have help.

Well, I'm up way too late so off to bed with me.

Best of luck!

Char

YEAH!!! SC Bandsters. I have checked out here before, but there weren't recent posts.

I am from Lugoff, SC (30 minutes from Columbia). I was banded June 27th by Dr Antonetti at Lexington. I have not had a fill yet, but feel like I may need one soon. My next appt is Oct 18th, so I guess I will see if he wants to do one then.

Diana - Dr Givens is in practice with Antonetti. A friend of mine is having surgery with him on Oct 11th I think. They do have a support group. I haven't gone to one yet, but I probably should. I would love to have somebody local to relate to.

Anewme - I am not sure if you are talking to me or not, but thanks if you are.

I have not had a fill. I went for what was supposed to be my first fill appointment Sept 6th, but Dr Antonetti didn't think I needed one. He thought that if I was losing a pound a week or more that I was doing fine without one. So, I go back on Oct 18th for my next appointment. I have lost about 5 pounds since I saw him, so I guess I will see how the next few weeks go.

As far as diet goes, I am probably not as disciplined as I should be, but I am trying. I try to eat lean meats and veggies. With limited starches, but sometimes it is hard. Sweets are my weakness. I also try to get in two Protein drinks a day.

Also, I am trying to exercise. Since August, I have been trying to walk at least 25-30 minutes per day 5 days per week.

How are you doing with your surgery? I think it looks like you had yours 7/11. Not too long after me. I have a cousin that went through Baptist for her bypass and now her husband is thinking of going there for the band. Did you like the doctors there?

Sorry for the long post.

I'm in Woodruff and am entering the starting stages ..Dr.Ross is going to do mine. He is just starting and will have a proctor with him.