Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Come On SC!

Hey all, I am from Goose Creek SC... I want to say hello to everyone. I was banded Jan 23 by Dr Rumbault in Mexico. no problems... getting ready for my first fill in 2 weeks.

Good Luck honey!!! It will be one year for me March 10th and I've lost 50 but gained 8 back. The only problems I have had was my band being too tight causing me reflux. I'm still not in the right mind set of this band thing. I want to enjoy food, I miss food, I get depressed becuase I can not eat as much as I use to but the weight is coming off slowly so there's plus in this also. I only have 30 more pounds to go. On the average I was one of the smaller ones to get the band. I was 5'4" and 207 lbs. I just was not happy with my self of life at that point, still not but I'm getting there. I've only been overweight 3 years of my entire life and it is killing me!!!!

Getting there on day at a time,

Mindy Columbia SC

DR Goodson in Lexington SC can do your fills for 300.00 if you do not have anyone.

Palmetto Baptist in Columbia will be starting the bands later this month and Lexington Medical Center themselves are going to start doing it as well.

Riverside Surgical operates out of LMC, but the hospital apparently is going to start their own bariatric program.

So as far as your fills go, I would check with Palmetto first about the cost, since they are about to be operational (they have been doing bypass for years) and then LMC can be another alternative later down the line.

I don't see why it should cost more just because you went to Mexico. What is the difference other than that they have been doing it longer than the people here in the states.

I live in Enoree, and will be getting banded in Greenville sometime in June. I am nervous about the procedure, but then again, I am excited about being smaller and healthier. I hope everyone that has been banded is pleased with the band...it makes me feel better anyway:myscared: to know that so many have had success with the band. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone!! I am sorta new to using the site and find it very helpful. I was banded March 5, 2007. I would love to chat with others in my area. I live in upstate SC.

Hello everyone...I am in Charleston...and it's getting hot...I dred the next few months...I hate humidity!!!!! Anyway, I am very new to this site, and am looking for tons of info. So far, I have found this forum to be very helpful, but have not seen anyone mention if they have been banded by any of the surgeons at MUSC. I am planning on attending thier informational seminar next month and was just curious if anyone else out there is going to attend? I am anxious to have the procedure, but curious about MUSC's rep. Anyone have any info?

Hello I live in the Columbia,SC area. I was banded in March of this year(2007). I was 306 pounds when I first started the process. I have lost 73 lbs so far and haven't had my first fill so its going great so far.

Wow, K9OfficerSC, that is terrific! 73 pounds in 2 months! You are my hero! Do you mind if I ask you where you had your surgery? I am thinking about having mine performed by MUSC, heard anything about their doctors or weight management program????I am looking for all the info I can get. Trudy from this forum has been super great so far at helping me with all my annoying questions, but I am curious if there is anyone at there who has had surgery at MUSC. Seems like MUSC is a pretty well known hospital in this state, and it concerns me that I have not heard from anyone from SC actually having the procedure done there.

I had mine done at Lexington Medical Center. I used the SC Obesity Center. My wife and I both had it done 10 days apart. She has loss about 35 lbs. We started a high Protein diet about 4 weeks before the surgery so that helped lots with our weight loss. We walk from 6 to 8 miles a day(5 or 6 days a week) half in the morning and half in the evening. www.scobesity.com is the web address if you need it.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the two of you are having great success, I am happy for you both. I am also curious about insurance coverage. I was going to pay out of pocket in order to avoid the battle with our insurance. Has anyone had any POSITIVE experience with thier insurance company agreeing to cover the procedure???? Seems like all I hear these days is negative about the subject.

I haven't logged on here for quite somwe time. I am near Seneca and was banded on 12/19/05 and I have lost approx 120 pounds! I feel awesome! This was the best thing I have ever dome in my life - and if anyone has any doubts about doing it - don't just GO FOR IT!!!!!!!! LOL You will wonder why you ever doubeted doing it! Hope everyone has a great week - Jennifer:clap2: ;)

Well, I go for my first fact finding session (informational seminar) tomorrow at MUSC. If anyone out there has any pointers or things I should be sure to ask while I am there, please let me know. I am very excited to hear from other people there and anxious to meet the doctors in person and hear what they have to say. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Hi y'all!

I've joined the Bandlanders as of this past Wednesday and am doing well so far. Only a little soreness.

My doctor was Dr. Balder in Conway, and he's terrific! Very personable and caring. His bariatric consultant is B.J., and she is an angel. Gives lots of support, answers, and love.

Since I'm a self-pay, the surgery was done at the Rivertown Surgicial Center not Conway Hospital. I was in the operating room at 7am and back home at 11am.

I had considered having the lap-band done at MUSC since I live only one hour from there and two hours from Conway, but I understood they have not done too many in Charleston and have a very long waiting list for the procedure--about seven months. Could someone who's been to their informational meeting confirm this?

Thanks to all of you who are posting!

SC-Cindy