Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

has anyone been told their Vitamin d is low?? did you experience any symptoms??

i just had all my 1 year blood work done and my Vitamin D was pretty low.

they mailed me my results and wrote on the paper work that low vit d can cause decreased energy and effect your mood.

did anyway have these symptoms?

When I got my pre-op lab results pack, my Vit D was also low. The nurse said it's like that for almost all of their female patients. Who knows if I was experiencing any symptoms? Anyway, they prescribed Vit D for 6 weeks (one pill a week), and now I'm supposed to take 2 Caltrate 600 +D every day. This is Calcium and Vitamin D combined.

My Vitamin d is really low too. Most asian women (including east indian) have low Vitamin D levels.

Call me crazy, but I think it is contributing to my slower weight loss since banding too. I've been put on mega doses of Vitamin d for the next 3 months to try to get my levels up to normal.

I've been on a little plateau for about a month and am tired often....I have a fill scheduled for tomorrow and will try to get answers to my questions about if it is affecting my rate of weight loss.

thanks for your replies.

the reason i ask is this. i take medication for depression, but lately i've been feeling quite sluggish and blue.

the last time i saw my band doctor i was fine so this wasn't an issue. it actually hasn't been an issue since way before i was banded...so there would really be no reason for them to let me know that this could effect my mood and energy level...ya know what i mean?

i'm just wondering if my mood could actually be a side effect of the low vit d.

I think that one treatment of SAD (Seasonal Affectedness Disorder) is to up the level of Vitamin d either through supplements and/or light therapy.

I definately think that your blue mood can be attributed (along with a host of other things) to low d levels. Try calling your surgeon and asking him about it or ask the doctor that is prescribing your depression meds.

Btw, I am also on 2 different type of depression meds.

My Vitamin d is really low too. Most asian women (including east indian) have low Vitamin d levels.

Call me crazy, but I think it is contributing to my slower weight loss since banding too. I've been put on mega doses of vitamin d for the next 3 months to try to get my levels up to normal.

I've been on a little plateau for about a month and am tired often....I have a fill scheduled for tomorrow and will try to get answers to my questions about if it is affecting my rate of weight loss.

Can I ask what dose you are on?

I got phone call that my Vit D was "critically low", about 1/5 of what it should be.

A standard dose of Vit D is about 1,000IU to 5,000IU, I'm taking 50,000IU a day. I'm not liking it either.

I can tell you that a Vit D deficiency can cause sugar cravings. Since I've been on Vit D my sweet craving (gummy bears and Gummy worms) is almost gone.

So maybe this is why I am having mood swings the last month and craving sweets. I just ate a bowl of Cherrios because I want Cookies. I am sick, but am cravings sweets so bad today that I contemplated getting dressed and going to the corner store and getting me some cookies and chocolate.:thumbup:

So maybe this is why I am having mood swings the last month and craving sweets. I just ate a bowl of Cherrios because I want Cookies. I am sick, but am cravings sweets so bad today that I contemplated getting dressed and going to the corner store and getting me some Cookies and chocolate.:thumbup:

Nahh... don't do it. Eat it today, wear it tomorrow. It's not worth it.

This is a lifestyle change, not a temporary fix. Find something else to do.

i crave sugar all the time...sweets were my addiction before surgery and they continue to be my downfall...doesn't really matter what it is...if it has sugar in it, i want it! =) if one day i don't crave it, then i might have something serious going on! hehe

My Vit D is low as well. Mine was 21 when normal is 40. I am on prescription Vit D (10,000 units/week).

This has helped my mood, weighloss and general well being. I spoke at length about this with MD and he said that when I start to see some of these symptoms come on, to add some Vit D to my diet to see if that helps before coming in.

I had a huge plateau for about 2 months and when I went on the Vit D, I finally broke it.

My Vit D is low as well. Mine was 21 when normal is 40. I am on prescription Vit D (10,000 units/week).

This has helped my mood, weighloss and general well being. I spoke at length about this with MD and he said that when I start to see some of these symptoms come on, to add some Vit D to my diet to see if that helps before coming in.

I had a huge plateau for about 2 months and when I went on the Vit D, I finally broke it.

Did you know that the Vitamin D Council is suggesting levels be between 50-80? They keep raising the levels, it used to be that 32 was normal, now it's been raised to 50-80.

Vitamin D Council | Understanding Vitamin D Cholecalciferol

The Vit D Council considers lab values of 20 and below to be critically low.

The problem with those of us that are very low is that as soon as we stop taking the mega supplements it drops again. So this is something we all need to really keep an eye on.