Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was anyone banded at a weight of 200lbs or less?

This is a great thread. So great I have to post again. LOL One thing that I have found is that the more I go to my bariatric surgeon's office, the less self-conscious I feel. I am going there for my 6 month diet so that is why I'm there so often. Anyway, its impossible to know what people are thinking and not fair to assume they are thinking anything negative. Yes, I feel like I've been looked up-and-down many times, but I'm sure I'm looking others up-and-down as well... not in a bad way, but I can't help but be curious if they are just starting out, which surgery they got or are getting, and how its going for them. So, I'm giving those looker-upper-downers the benefit of the doubt now, smiling, and saying Hi. Everyone has been friendly.

I'm new. I currently weigh between 185 and 190 and have a BMI that is 39-40. I am only 4'10"

I am also in the Tampa area, and had my seminar on Monday.

My healthy weight range for my height is (get this!) 89-119 lbs. :) So even at under 200, I could theoretically lose 100 lbs before being underweight! :biggrin:

This is kinda funny but I was looking at the tall people who were not real big wondering why they were there :crying:

Anyway, I am still debating the surgery. But at least I've taken the first step.

39andholding. i used to live in tampa . i love it there. ex is there so i am in ny... lol. anyway i was banded 3 weeks ago. it was the best thing i ever did for my health . i am 5'2. was 217 and my heaviest now i am 182 and losing. i breath easier because my chest is not so heavy. i am once again a quiet sleeper. i can take a few flights of stairs without needing oxygen. when i started looking into the lapband it was last june. it took almost 8 months. the process is lenghty. so much to do. the more you do for your dr. the smoother things run. it gets to you at times but if you have a good support person you will get thru it. first thing i did in jun was pply.. after a month i got an application. they are so busy they get 2000 yes 2000 applications a month a buffalo general. the application was 12-14 pages long if i am not mistaken. with an essay asking you to explain why you are applying. then another month and i was invited to a seminar. it was standing room only get there very early.. over 200 people. we got introduced to 3 drs. watched before and after and listened to 2 drs. lecture.. very informative. this took place in the hospital cafateria. after a few weeks i was accepted into the program. i went and met the nutritionist. the nurse practitioner and a physical thearipist.. 3 hours .. dont be late you will get bumped from your spot. the i had to meet a physcothearipist..excuse my spelling. this was 1 hour or more...many questions..again be early.. i was a victim of a volent crime as i was with my daughter in a parking lot. and all that came out.. they ask and you just tell.. so she was not sure if i was healed or not and almost denied me.. cause i cried..she made me i swear. anyway. i waited for her results.. oh another thing everthing i did i asked my drs. nurse who everyone uses. they all seem to be a big network so things run smoother i think. then i had to go to my primary and have a physical . he said he was all 4 it so he sent them clearence. you will be very busy..just do it and smile.. then i had blood work they gave me a script 4. another month goes by.. my dr. says i need to lose 5% for him and insurance.. i say ok cool.. so i lose and thing are moving slow . i get upset and i gain. then the sleep studies ..ask for referals... that take anothe mont to get in..i go spend the night..another 3 weeks and another sleep study. i need a cpap..insurance says no way..and its 1800 bucks.. i am so upset.. i figure all is wasted.. i call cpap place.. the have demos and offer to lend me 1 for surgery.. oh happy day.. i go get it.. practice with it.. ok i think i am set.. i meet dr again along with nutritionist. we schedule 1 month later. but so much to do. pre register . 3 days before they say i need to update bloodwork it has to be within 30 days and so does primary dr clearance.. oh geez.. i am almost in tears. the awesome surgons secratary called the bloodlab at the hospital and they rushed it on the saturday before surgery.. 2 days.. my primary has moved away and i need a clearance so i called a dr. i knew and they got me in. ok all is set..i think.. the insurance company wont give written approval only verbal. well we stay on them . and now i am banded.. please work hard , do not give up.. do everything ontime .. and ask for help when people say no can do...cause it can be.. i am open to questions from anyone . remember insurance companies wait till a few days before... this is normal.. dont get upset a pigout like i did

I'm new. I currently weigh between 185 and 190 and have a BMI that is 39-40. I am only 4'10"

I am also in the Tampa area, and had my seminar on Monday.

My healthy weight range for my height is (get this!) 89-119 lbs. :) So even at under 200, I could theoretically lose 100 lbs before being underweight! :biggrin:

This is kinda funny but I was looking at the tall people who were not real big wondering why they were there :crying:

Anyway, I am still debating the surgery. But at least I've taken the first step.

Hey 39andholding, let me know if you'd like to chat sometime and maybe coach each other! I'm hoping to be banded in April because I am self pay and the process moves a lot faster.

Hello ...I am new to this and I am looking to talk to some of you about banding. I am 52 years old .. with diabetes, high blood pressure, high clorestoal , sleeping problems , acid refluc.... and the new medicine for the diabetes {armyl} makes me soooo hungry all the time !! I am 5'3" and 200 lbs and absolutly miserable. I am as big now as I was when I was pregnant. I live in Alabama and I want to find a docter that will band under at 200 pounds!! Do any of you know a docter and what does it cost and do you think I should check into doing this ?????? PLEASE HELP !!!

Hello ...I am new to this and I am looking to talk to some of you about banding. I am 52 years old .. with diabetes, high blood pressure, high clorestoal , sleeping problems , acid refluc.... and the new medicine for the diabetes {armyl} makes me soooo hungry all the time !! I am 5'3" and 200 lbs and absolutly miserable. I am as big now as I was when I was pregnant. I live in Alabama and I want to find a docter that will band under at 200 pounds!! Do any of you know a docter and what does it cost and do you think I should check into doing this ?????? PLEASE HELP !!!

Hi Nonnie1956. Most surgeons seem to look at your BMI, body mass index, to determine your eligibility. I'm short at 200 pounds and my BMI was 36-37. With your symptoms, you should have no problem being a candidate. Visit www.lapband.com to find a surgeon in your area and to calculate your BMI.

I am self-pay so the process is moving rather quickly for me. Depending on your insurance requirements, you may have to be on a doctor supervised weightloss program for up to 6 months. Don't get discouraged, just look at all of the wonderful "Before and After" photos and think that one of them could be you!!

Good Luck, do your research and you will be fine.

I was banded in April '07 at a weight of 215 (5'7"). I lost 35# in the first 8 months -- I followed the rules and went to the gym. Then my mom got sick and I had to focus on her and had no time for the gym anymore. I never lost another pound after that!

My BMI is 36...218 at surgeon weigh in. They said I was 5'4 1/2" but that means I have shrunk an inch since high school! Not good! I'm 45 years young....HBP, Type 2 diabetes...on 2 meds for both...highs cholesterol, back pain. I'm in fairly decent physical shape and can work out for an hour at a time with no problems. I wear size 12 pants (small on bottom) but XL on top so carry my weight in upper body which is not good for your health. So I have a lot of co-morbidities....been on BP meds for ten years now...not good. Tried a lot of diets - down 20lbs then gain it all back....I'm at my highest now...I too find that the diabetes meds make me very hungry all the time. What an awful thing....to really need to stop eating because of the diabetes but you feel hungrier because of the meds. What's up with that? Can't wait to have this done to get rid of the yearning to eat!

I am under 200lbs, and I am 5'3. My insurance approved me, but it was more because I've been steadily gaining weight since my thyroid crudded out. I don't have any co-morbitiy illnesses.

My BMI is 36...218 at surgeon weigh in. They said I was 5'4 1/2" but that means I have shrunk an inch since high school! Not good! I'm 45 years young....HBP, Type 2 diabetes...on 2 meds for both...highs cholesterol, back pain. I'm in fairly decent physical shape and can work out for an hour at a time with no problems. I wear size 12 pants (small on bottom) but XL on top so carry my weight in upper body which is not good for your health. So I have a lot of co-morbidities....been on BP meds for ten years now...not good. Tried a lot of diets - down 20lbs then gain it all back....I'm at my highest now...I too find that the diabetes meds make me very hungry all the time. What an awful thing....to really need to stop eating because of the diabetes but you feel hungrier because of the meds. What's up with that? Can't wait to have this done to get rid of the yearning to eat!

scarletttara,

Good luck I hope everthing works out for you. I just wanted to give you a heads up. I was banded on March 30th and I have lost about 20 pounds but that yeaning to eat is not curved at all, at least for me. I am an emotional eater and I am hoping everything will change once I have my first fill. Right now I am counting calories and following Dr.'s order but that yearning to snack or wanting to eat is still there.

hi im amy and i am 5' tall and was 203 when i was banded on march 20th.(my highest was 209) I too felt like the smallest one in the room when i went for my seminars... but i too have all sorts of health issues and am so thankful for this tool that is going to help me change my life forever. Im down a total of 21lbs and 15 since surg! I still have a little less than 70 to go.

good luck to all of us for continued sucess!!!

amy

I too felt like the smallest one in the room when i went for my seminars...

Hi Amy,

I felt exactly that way too! My daughter came with me and she is not overweight, well except for a few baby pounds that haven't come off. I kept feeling that people were wondering why I was there. But after 40 years of diet and gaining. Plus high blood pressure and sure to be other complications if I didn't loose the weight, I was determined to get some help. Best of luck to you!

I will go to my first siminar this week i have been on adipex for about 2 months and lost about 15 lbs really want the lap band. i M 5'5' ABOUT 209 now but have high blood pressure been on meds for 20 yrs now 41 yrs old have gastric reflux take 2 bp meds daily and 2 stomach meds daily I am a nurse on my feet 12 hrs day take motrin at least 4 days a week me legs kill me. my mom died at 37 due to massive heart attack i dont want to be there. I have yo yo dieted all my life i really feel desperate now some say yeah they will do it some say not i think if not i will jsut gain the excess weight then go back i really am desperate keep me in your thoughts

I was banded on thursday and my weight then was 196 lbs. I have been told my many people that I should not have done it. That is only 1.2 ofthe story. I had already lost 45 lbs with the help of meds and I am just sick and tired of the yo-yo dieting. I do not regret it and cannot wait to be a healthy weight again. It has been a LONG time.

My surgeon does lapband on patients with lower BMIs as a part of an FDA study. Youcan have a BMI of 30 and get the surgery. The FDA is studying to see if patients can avoid ever getting comorbidities if they get surgery sooner rather than later.