Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Negitive Feedback from Gastric bypass patient.

Has anyone had a Gastric Bypass or Lap-Band patient discourage you to have the surgery?

I spoke to a lady this weekend that had Gastric Bypass and she totally discouraged me….She said to beware of the following:

1. Addiction Transference: She said that food is your addiction and that we can transfer that addiction to something else. Her examples where Sex and Drugs. And she admitted to having a drug addiction now. She blames it all on not being “ready” for the surgery…or being “supported” by her doctor.

2. Being a Self Pay: She said the doctors will take your money and run. As she put it.

3. Having a Psych evaluation: She said that even if you feel ready and you are a self pay you should have a Psych evaluation. (Which I agree)

4. Weight Loss: she said that she only lost 35 lbs since 2006 and it is a waste of money

5. Positive vs. Negative: She said that because I want the surgery so “badly” that I only want to look at the positives and I need to focus more on the negatives.

I have done research for about a year on this now…and Felt and still feel really positive about the surgery. And have researched all of the above and feel comfortable with the path I have chosen….But it does discourage me to see someone so unhappy. How do you all feel?

Hugs,

Sylvia

Good Morning

Everyone's experience with bariatric surgery is different..

My mother died 7.19.2007 because she was malnutritioned from having the gastric bypass..

She was 59 years old..lost over 200 lbs in 13 months..

So with this said everyone is truly different..I myself personally have the lap band and it seems slower in terms of weight loss but I felt that it was safer..they didnt cut and stitch and all of this other stuff..

Hope this helps..have a good day!!

Olivia

I have seen negative lap band experiences, but had it done anyway. A friend had it done, she ate incorrectly, band slipped, and she was in massive pain at times. When we would visit, either she would eat everything in site and vomit or she could eat nothing. I knew she wasnt following plan ,but seperated her inconsistences from band.

I have had band for 1 year and 1/2 way to goal , happy thus far. For me staying at goal will tell all, thats where I fall short with the weight game.

Anyway, friend gained weight back and I have lost, so In my experience its more about the patients actions, really than what they say. She has never said a negative word about band but neither has she mentioned revision as I dont think she wants to change her eating habits.

Good luck!

mads

Has anyone had a Gastric Bypass or Lap-Band patient discourage you to have the surgery?

I spoke to a lady this weekend that had Gastric Bypass and she totally discouraged me….She said to beware of the following:

1. Addiction Transference: She said that food is your addiction and that we can transfer that addiction to something else. Her examples where Sex and Drugs. And she admitted to having a drug addiction now. She blames it all on not being “ready” for the surgery…or being “supported” by her doctor.

2. Being a Self Pay: She said the doctors will take your money and run. As she put it.

3. Having a Psych evaluation: She said that even if you feel ready and you are a self pay you should have a Psych evaluation. (Which I agree)

4. Weight Loss: she said that she only lost 35 lbs since 2006 and it is a waste of money

5. Positive vs. Negative: She said that because I want the surgery so “badly” that I only want to look at the positives and I need to focus more on the negatives.

I have done research for about a year on this now…and Felt and still feel really positive about the surgery. And have researched all of the above and feel comfortable with the path I have chosen….But it does discourage me to see someone so unhappy. How do you all feel?

Hugs,

Sylvia

Addiction transfer... it's totally possible and something discussed here a great deal. For me it went from eating to shopping. I've dealt with this now and it's under control. We don't decline surgery for this reason, we work on the issues.

Self pay... not sure who she went to but my doc sure didn't do that.

Psych Eval... to be honest I think they are a joke. I do not think they are done properly in many (most?) cases.

Weight loss... sounds like her surgeon may not have bypassed enough intestine. She should have lost in the beginning but it is quite common for bypass folks to regain. When their honeymoon phase is over, it's over.

Pos/neg... I agree with her. Many noobs only want to see the good. They want surgery yesterday and they tend to chalk up the bad of any surgery type to those not doing something right. Sometimes it just isn't the surgery type for them, regardless of which procedure.

There is no sugery type that will fix processed carbs. If you eat them today, you'll wear them tomorrow. I don't care if you have bypass, DS, a sleeve, or band... processed carbs got us fat and if we continue to eat them we will continue to be fat.

With banding people always say you can eat everything you did before just not as much of it. That's true and it's not. If you had a crap diet before surgery you'll have a crap diet after surgery, just not as much. This is a lifestyle change, not a cure. Surgery is a tool to help you change your lifestyle.

Sylvia,

1) Everyone is different- absolutely! I, too spoke with others who had lap band or GBP prior. Neither procedure is without risk and both have potential problems. But everyone i spoke to was positive, gave me insight, and supported my right to make the decision, except my husband. I don't regret it for a minute. i was nervous about the surgery- had no problem.

2) Yes there is transference ( Watch your checkbook an Credit card!!) And but also instead of obsessing on food, calories, some may focus on #wt loss, Protein, or CC in the band. ( It is hard to give up) Do see a psychologist and Do set up a time to meet after the testing to sort through your feelings-best money i ever spent, after than the surgery.

3) How the surgery is funded has little to do with what the surgeon offers. They aren't going to hold your hand after the surgery but you do need to be connected with the surgeon for fills and any unforeseen problems. Having it done locally or at nearby would make follow-up easier. Yes, you will have to pay but their time is valuable, too. You do need to be able to reach a dietitian, too. You spent this money so you need to follow through with the diet and exercise components to make it work. Remember- it is not a solution, only a tool to get to the solution.

4) Positives and negatives- this exists with everything. So are the negatives with the procedure worse than the negatives without the procedure? I hesitated but it became clear the possible negatives of the lap band were better than my very real negatives of gaining more weight.

Do ask questions. Write them down- i did and the pre surgery seminars are helpful. This forum is helpful. reach out.

Hi Sylver28,

We all know that everyone's experience with bariatric surgery is different. Everyone has positives and negatives. I have done my research and understand all of the negatives and positives and made my decision on my own according to what is best for me. This is why I choose not to talk about it or tell everyone because sure enough someone will try to bring you down in a heartbeat.

I know someone who had gastric right after I got my band who said that gastric was better. I don't really think you can say that to someone because what might be better for them might not be better for me. Nevertheless, their opionion did not influence me one bit. Meanwhile, we have lost the exact amount of weight and I have less issues than them.

....well, that's my 2 cents....:frown:

I get a lot of discouragement from lifelong dieters and from Gastric Patients. It seems that a lot of people think their method of weight loss, whatever it may be, is the only answer. Even fellow bandsters have disagreed with me about the diet I should be following as if their way is the only way.

I know a couple gastric patients who are now eating their words but in the beginning told me that I would probably only lose about 1/3 of my excess weight. Many of them are now gaining weight back and actually considering Lap Band.

My MIL tried to talk me out of getting Lap Band based on comments from three people, one was her cousin who said a neighbor had it done and actually gained weight. One co-worker that had Gastric Bypass and obviously knew nothing about Lap Band because she told MIL that I would have to go back and get several surgeries to get the band adjusted :( and another co-worker who had lost 75lbs. with Jenny Craig and insisted that was the way to go.

I politely ignored them all and did what I knew was best for me and I am so glad I did. :frown:

1.) Addiction transfer is very real but it can be avoided. For me, being aware was my biggest weapon against it. I gave up caffeine, cigarettes and got the Lap Band all at the same time. I have not been a big drinker for years but I found myself strongly desiring liquor to calm my nerves I realized why I was wanting the alcohol and resisted. Those cravings are pretty much gone now. Actually, the co-worker that told my MIL that I would need several surgeries, did do well with weight loss but has since been fired from her job...she lost her drivers license due to DWI, MIL was helping her get to work but even still she was often late or out sick. She was even caught drinking the mouthwash from the office restroom just to get some alcohol during the workday!

2.) There are good and bad doctors out there. No doctor who wants to preserve his reputation will simply take your money and run and the law is on your side. You do have to do your homework and find one that offers a good maintenance program and will be there for you long-term

3.) I also agree on the Psych evaluation. I have not needed it post-op, but I also feel that the psych should be there long-term in the event that you need counseling during this process.

4) Just take a look at my ticker, it will be 10 months next Tuesday. There are rare instances where the Lap Band doesn't work for someone but for the most part, just like anything else in life, with the Lap Band you only get out of it what you put into it.

5.) Only you know for sure whether you have weighed the good vs the bad and only you can determine if this is for you.

Edited by Jodi_620

HUGS! Thanks y'all for all your support! I agree with everyone...it's what is best for you! And I plan on putting everything I've got into this. Full concentration to exercise, eating right and being aware of the mental struggle it will be. I think I’m going to keep things to myself for now…this is something I’m doing for myself. And I realize that not everyone is going to be as happy as you are about choices we make. Even if they are for better health, life and esteem!!

Thanks again y'all!

HUGS! Thanks y'all for all your support! I agree with everyone...it's what is best for you! And I plan on putting everything I've got into this. Full concentration to exercise, eating right and being aware of the mental struggle it will be. I think I’m going to keep things to myself for now…this is something I’m doing for myself. And I realize that not everyone is going to be as happy as you are about choices we make. Even if they are for better health, life and esteem!!

Thanks again y'all!

Good for you sylver! :mellow:

From my experience, the best way the quiet the naysayers is to prove them wrong!