Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is God real?

I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in Paradise. Luke 23:43

Now do you suppose this man had been baptized as a child? Or even as an adult? Highly doubtful. He accepted that Christ was the king and asked for his mercy.

I agree. baptism or any other work or deed is not required for entry to heaven. How can a baby "repent and be baptised."? For first, you must be able to understand what it means to repent, and then you need to make the choice to be baptised. Babies can't do that.

And to all the "atheists, agnostics, etc"... not trying to "convince" you of anything... just speaking the truth and what you do with it, if anything, is your choice. If you really want the truth.... you'll find it. And apparently you're not completely satisfied with your decisions that there isn't a God, or you don't know if there is a God... otherwise, why would you spend so much time trying to convince Christians that they are wrong. Must be a personal thing....are you trying to convince yourself? I hope that you'll search for truth... cause if I'm "wrong" I have nothing to lose, but if you're wrong and the Bible is right... well, you know...

I could never understand why atheists have such strong enthusiasm about debating if God exists or not. I can understand why a christian would want to share their faith with others, because for people to reject God is to spend an eternity without him, but what is the atheists motive? Why do they desire others to join them? Could they secretly be working for the opposing team?(lol) For God does say that whoever is not for him is against him. There are only 2 sides.

Yet sadly, both Christians and atheists have stupid people in their camp. I think it's the universal truth.

Very true and atheists have their share of extreme fundies as well. They are every bit as annoying as the Christian version.

That's really how you came to the decision that there is no God? Because you decided the Bible didn't make any sense? Did you read the whole thing, or skip to the end (because that kills the suspense)? How quick after reading did you come to your conclusion?

Yep, sure is. I read the bible and how impossible it is, how primitive it is, how blood thirsty this God is, and I realized that it's just simply impossible. I started doing some research of the history behind Christianity and then I realized, it's merely another myth.

I've read three versions of the bible cover to cover. Most atheists have. That's why they are atheist. ;o)

So.....either there are no Christian doctors, lawyers, or accountants, or those Christian doctors, lawyers, and accountants refuse to deal with facts? Riiiiiiiiiiight......

I don't believe you are understanding the point here. I did not say Christians have no facts in life, they have no solid facts regarding their God. If they did, they wouldn't need faith.

I can't help it, I have to make a statement based on this post. I only got to pg 4 and got bored with the monotony.

What kind of fairy tale is this?

"God's great love for us"?

How is this apparent? Poverty, disease, homelessness, pollution, famine, birth defects, tragic accidents, floods, hurricanes, massive earthquakes, tsunamis, just to name a few. Not all of these victims are "pagans". Is He teaching lessons? Endurance? Why are some getting more than our share of misfortunes than others? Job's test?

What kind of loving creator, as told in the Old Testament, inflicts floods, locusts, and famine when He is unhappy or jealous with our actions?

What kind of loving creator would send zillions of children or other innocents to purgatory or hell because they were born to a culture that was oblivious to Him (your god)?

What kind of loving creator brings people to life on Earth for the sole purpose of them to idolize him and if they don't, "damn you"?

Someone in an earlier post said something like, " just be a good person". It was responded with that was not enough if you don't believe in Him. Well, is it better to be a terrible person all your life and on your death bed ask God to forgive you for your sins? Is that better? Then can you get to Heaven?

Do I think God is real?

It is for you pattygreen and others. I'm glad you get comfort in your belief.

Me? Not the god you refer to, the "Christian God".

FYI: I was raised Catholic. I still believe it to be the original and purist of Christianity. I feel all off-shoots are "cults"-religions that didn't want to follow the all the original rules. If you look at it, they are all the same basic belief but with different allowances. When I was only 8 years old, I had a problem with innocent, unbaptized babies not being able to make to heaven. For that, I began doubting this god.

Consider this:

If this God knows everything that is going to happen before it happens then he creates people knowing full well they will lack belief in him. He demands faith and if you can't honestly muster up some faith then you go to hell for not believing.

He knows this before he ever creates you, yet he creates you so that he can send you to hell.

Then prayer... what's the true value of prayer? This God already knows what he's going to do before the event happens. So someone prays... for what? If a parent prays to spare the life of their child but God already knows he won't spare the life of the child, where is the value in this prayer? By asking for something in prayer... world peace, let my kid win the football game, save the world, whatever... aren't people really asking their God to go against his own ultimate plan in favor of what they want?

In the 18 years I was forced to attend Catholic mass I don't recall anyone being discouraged from reading the Bible.

That isn't what I wrote. I wrote that they are not encouraged to read it.

A very dear friend of mine is a Catholic priest. We've been friends for about 30 years. I can ask him the hard questions and he isn't afraid to answer and he doesn't hand me a bible and tell me his opinions are there like the one I have blocked. ;o)

I asked him why all those years of going to church I was never encouraged by any priest to read the bible and he said it's because it isn't necessary. The goal of the priest is to cover the bible in sermons and it takes about three years to do so. After I read the bible myself I realized that listening to that stuff every bloody week they went over the bible 6 times throughout my first 18 years... they missed a lot of the bible. Most of it. We were spoon fed what they wanted us to know and with their own personal twist added for good measure.

...I can just pray that one day they might have a change of heart.

I wish the same for you. ;o)

I hang about on various atheist forums and there you can find interesting discussions as to why former believers would opt to disbelieve. As for myself, I was raised by atheists, belief was not an option. I cannot believe anymore than I can believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.

I hang about on various atheist forums and there you can find interesting discussions as to why former believers would opt to disbelieve. As for myself, I was raised by atheists, belief was not an option. I cannot believe anymore than I can believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.

There is no Santa?:tt1:

I don't believe in babies and children getting Baptised either. They aren't old enough to understand.

Makes sense to me; it is a big decision.

i believe he is real and i imagine he'd be REALLY pissed to see others doing his judging for him ...

I know who you are talking about hehehe.

HA! Glad you took that in the spirit intended! ;o)

Just as all you atheists are not heathens, all us Christians are not fanatical. :tt1: