Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is God real?

I kinda accepted awhile back that Christians (well, white Christians, anyway) are one of the last groups that it is still politically acceptable to mock (along with fat people). Whatever.

I totally agree with you!

There is, and can only be, ONE God. People may believe that their are many Gods, but in the beginning, a higher power created it all. The pagens used to pray to hundreds of different Gods. They had statues for every God they could make up. There was even one there called 'The unknown God'. That one was the true God and they didn't even know it. Put all religions aside, and pray (talk) to the God who created you and ask that God to reveal himself to you. He will, if you are sincere and truly want the truth.

I find it impossible to believe in the the Bible, particularly when there are so many other sacred texts in the world jockeying for this position. The old testament was written for and by the Jews - it is their sacred document.

Actually, the Old Testament was written for all mankind. Its overall theme spoke of a future event (The death and resurection of God himself) that would save people from their sins. The New Testaments overall theme speaks of a past event that saved people from their sins (The death and resurection of God himself). That's why we use this date to comprehend time. (AD and BC)

It is true that God has chosen the Jewish nation to be his people. But, He also reached out to all mankind and said, "whosoever will come to me, I will in no way cast out." For God loves all. He will adopt as sons those who are not Jewish. This is why it is so important for America to remain allies with Israel, for God says that those who go against his children, He will be against. He asked everyone to pray for the peace of Israel.

There is, and can only be, ONE God. People may believe that their are many Gods, but in the beginning, a higher power created it all. The pagens used to pray to hundreds of different Gods. They had statues for every God they could make up. There was even one there called 'The unknown God'. That one was the true God and they didn't even know it. Put all religions aside, and pray (talk) to the God who created you and ask that God to reveal himself to you. He will, if you are sincere and truly want the truth.

But how can you be sure that you are worshiping the ONE TRUE GOD. What if you spend your life praying to a mock god created by some greedy bible salesman 2000 years ago?

Would you still get into heaven? Would you get your 72 virgins? Would the streets still be made of gold?

It seams like if my eternal soul were at stake I would seek a second opinion.

And if your absolutely positive that heaven is such a great place then why is everyone trying so hard to put off going there?!

But how can you be sure that you are worshiping the ONE TRUE GOD. What if you spend your life praying to a mock god created by some greedy bible salesman 2000 years ago?

Would you still get into heaven? Would you get your 72 virgins? Would the streets still be made of gold?

And if your absolutely positive that heaven is such a great place then why is everyone trying so hard to put off going there?!

How about this prayer? Dear God, The one who created all mankind, I am confused. I know there is a God who made me, but there are so many different religions and thoughts about you out there, so can you show me which one is right? Iam sincere and truly want to have a relationship with you. Thanks.

To answer your last question, everyone trys so hard to put off going there cause they are fearful of the unknown. Once I found out the truth about God, all fear left. I am not afraid to die, for I know what awaits me. I still would like to live for as long as I can, cause I have children and family that will mourn me and whom I will miss, but knowing that if they believe as I do, I will see them in heaven one day makes dying not so bad.

I am inclined to find one's belief in a God entirely subjective for there is no proof that one exists. Mankind merely has great emotional need for this belief in one. I believe in science.

Life is much easier if you do as I did and block Patty. ;o) I couldn't take it anymore, that was on another thread.

Actually... atheism and Wicca are gaining a LOT of converts. Christianity is losing about 1% a year of their following, atheism is gaining about 1% a year. You might be surprised at how many of us there are. ;o)

I would never go so far as to call myself an Atheist because that would be the firm belief that there is NO god or power at all, which is a faith based belief itself (and also not supported by fact).

Wicca turns me off for much of the same reasons as other religions do, in that they seem to get caught up in all the ceremony and hocus pocus in the same way as other organized religions.

I choose to refer to myself as an Agnostic, one who really does know what if any power is out there (and frankly doesn’t care). I do have a firm commitment to try be the best person I can and to be good to the planet and my fellow man. For me that is enough to make me sleep well at night.

Ahhh yes, the infamous persecution syndrome. You still make up a majority of the US population so what's with the whine?

Hey, it's my party, I'll whine if I want to.

Actually... atheism and Wicca are gaining a LOT of converts. Christianity is losing about 1% a year of their following, atheism is gaining about 1% a year.

Except.....I don't see it that way. If an atheist (or Wiccan, for that matter) converts a Christian, then I would be highly suspect of that person's Christianity from the start. I could more easily understand somebody that converts to atheism after a long, soul-searching (pun intended) period of thought. In short, I think it's a conclusion you have to come up with yourself.

Mankind merely has great emotional need for this belief in one. I believe in science.

I personally believe in both. I don't get how some people think religion and science are mutually exclusive.

I personally believe in both. I don't get how some people think religion and science are mutually exclusive.

Well that’s an easy one (at least from my perspective). Very little of science is based on faith, very little of religion is based on fact.

Well that’s an easy one (at least from my perspective). Very little of science is based on faith, very little of religion is based on fact.

But that still doesn't explain how you can only believe in one or the other. Do you mean that all that have faith cannot possibly comprehend scientific fact? Or maybe that scientists cannot possibly believe in something that they can't explain with a hypothesis? I think that way of thinking is pretty simplistic.

But that still doesn't explain how you can only believe in one or the other. Do you mean that all that have faith cannot possibly comprehend scientific fact? Or maybe that scientists cannot possibly believe in something that they can't explain with a hypothesis? I think that way of thinking is pretty simplistic.

You are misinterpreting what I said. I was talking about MY own way of looking at it. I have a very hard time believing something that does not have a basis in facts. Especially something as big and often misused as religion is. If at any point here it sounds as if I am bashing someone’s religion, I apologize – that is not my intent. I think it is great that people have faith, if it makes their day brighter or makes them a better person, then for me that is a good thing. I really draw the line though when someone’s faith (or more likely religion) encroaches on someone else’s beliefs or lack of beliefs.

You are misinterpreting what I said. I was talking about MY own way of looking at it. I have a very hard time believing something that does not have a basis in facts. Especially something as big and often misused as religion is. If at any point here it sounds as if I am bashing someone’s religion, I apologize – that is not my intent. I think it is great that people have faith, if it makes their day brighter or makes them a better person, then for me that is a good thing. I really draw the line though when someone’s faith (or more likely religion) encroaches on someone else’s beliefs or lack of beliefs.

No no.....you weren't bashing at all (as I hope I wasn't). I personally don't like it when somebody gets pushy with their beliefs (even if I agree with them) either. Let's just quote Rodney King- "Can't we all just get along", lol.

No no.....you weren't bashing at all (as I hope I wasn't). I personally don't like it when somebody gets pushy with their beliefs (even if I agree with them) either. Let's just quote Rodney King- "Can't we all just get along", lol.

Yes! That certainly is something we can agree on.

I would never go so far as to call myself an Atheist because that would be the firm belief that there is NO god or power at all, which is a faith based belief itself (and also not supported by fact).

What you are describing is hard atheism, not atheism in general. I say I lack belief in a God, that is not hard atheism. I am not saying there is no God, I'm saying I lack belief in one. If one shows up at my door and introduces himself to me I'll be happy to sit down and have a discussion with him. But to believe because a bunch of people from 2000 years ago wrote that if I don't I'll go to hell.. bahh. That's silly.

Wicca turns me off for much of the same reasons as other religions do, in that they seem to get caught up in all the ceremony and hocus pocus in the same way as other organized religions.

Agreed.

I choose to refer to myself as an Agnostic, one who really does know what if any power is out there (and frankly doesn’t care). I do have a firm commitment to try be the best person I can and to be good to the planet and my fellow man. For me that is enough to make me sleep well at night.

Ditto... except the agnostic part. ;o)