Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you need to lose 200+ pounds, how do you get started with exercise?

What exercise works best for you?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What exercise works best for you?

Hi Everyone,

I am being banded on June 1, 2009 and I am self pay. I was sooo excited about finally getting the money I made the mistake of telling everyone about my surgery. Now regret it. I am afraid I will fail because, I have sooo much to lose. My current weight is 364. Did everyone know about your surgery?

I only told a few people. I was afraid that the surgery wouldn't work and I didn't want to be embarassed once again when I didn't lose weight. After losing 40 pounds I was so excited I told everyone I came into contact with even complete strangers. Now, I am sort of regretting telling everyone because I feel the pressure is on for me to continue to lose the weight. I guess that can be a good thing to keep me honest.

I wouldn't worry that you told people. Just remind them that it is not gastric and generally you will not lose 100 pounds in 3 months. Tell them it is a slow process and that should help reduce some pressure on you.

Congrats on losing 100 pounds. I noticed you were banded on 02/05/09 how long did it take you to lose 100 pounds?

Thank you. On May 5th I'll have been banded 3 months, in that time, I've lost 90 pounds. The remainder was lost preop.

I realize some people think it's too much weight too fast, but I eat well and I'm well nourished. I think what has significantly changed is my lifestyle. I now lead a very, very active one. For example today I walked 3 miles, mowed 2 lawns by hand (and one was hilly), which took me about 3 hours, hung laundry out on the line, I then hit the gym for 1.5 hours and then walked around a shopping center for an hour. I try to stay busy like this as often as I can. I do anything to just "move" my body, and I think it's paying off.

Thank you. On May 5th I'll have been banded 3 months, in that time, I've lost 90 pounds. The remainder was lost preop.

I realize some people think it's too much weight too fast, but I eat well and I'm well nourished. I think what has significantly changed is my lifestyle. I now lead a very, very active one. For example today I walked 3 miles, mowed 2 lawns by hand (and one was hilly), which took me about 3 hours, hung laundry out on the line, I then hit the gym for 1.5 hours and then walked around a shopping center for an hour. I try to stay busy like this as often as I can. I do anything to just "move" my body, and I think it's paying off.

LapBandGirl: All I can say is "WOW"!

Sorry to bump an old thread, but Momster, how are things going for you? Are you making that slow and steady progress that all your friends here in this thread have talked about?

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for thinking of me. I'm sorry to say that, no, I've been disappointed in my progress so far. I'm not sure what I expected...I thought that the lap band would make a difference in my eating but I still can't feel any obstruction and I've been forced to fall back on pure diet and exercise. When I say "diet"...I could eat anything and as much of that anything as I want in one sitting. So I'm back to willpower. My doctor says that the band is "just a tool" that only helps to keep you on a diet but that it doesn't enforce it.

I'm so confused and disappointed. I'm not sure why I went through the pain and expense of getting a band when I really can't feel difference and still relying on myself as before.

I hate to be "downer" for those out there that this is working for. I could really use a pep talk or some enlightenment on what I'm doing wrong.

However, I can't tell you how amazed I am that someone asked. Thank you.

momster, I'm so sorry you haven't gotten good restriction yet, but I wanted to let you know it took several fills for me to finally get to my sweet spot too. I was banded last September and although I did feel new restriction with each fill, it faded away after two to four weeks, and I'd go back in for another adjustment. I have a 9cc band, and my doctor had to take me up to 11cc before I got the perfect level of restriction that hasn't faded away (he did this under fluoro and measured my band pressure, which I believe he only does with the Realize Band). It took ten months and some big fills in the beginning followed by small adjustments to get me to this level.

There's very few foods I have problems eating, I eat 1/2 cup meals 3 times/day plus a healthy snack, and best of all, I'm not hungry between meals. Please try to hang in there with your fills. I still have to measure, because, for whatever reason, I could still eat more than 4oz of food even at this level of restriction. I must have an Iron gut..lol But before, I'd dutifully measure my 1/2 cup serving, and be hungry within two hours. Now, I rarely think about food or hunger between meals.

I know I started thinking my band was leaking or that I was going to be the one that the band just didn't work for. I hope you have a doctor who is willing to treat you as an individual because had my doctor not trusted my assessment that I wasn't restricted when almost every other patient was by 7 or 8 cc, I'd be thinking the band or I was a failure. Even under fluoro, my band appeared to be restricting the flow of barium to a slow trickle, but my stomach must be very efficient at pumping food through my band. I've never relied on slider foods either, I try to make every meal count. I just needed more restriction than the majority of banders.

Sorry I'm rambling on, but I really hope you and your doctor can get this band to work for you the way it's supposed to.

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for thinking of me. I'm sorry to say that, no, I've been disappointed in my progress so far. I'm not sure what I expected...I thought that the LAP-BAND® would make a difference in my eating but I still can't feel any obstruction and I've been forced to fall back on pure diet and exercise. When I say "diet"...I could eat anything and as much of that anything as I want in one sitting. So I'm back to willpower. My doctor says that the band is "just a tool" that only helps to keep you on a diet but that it doesn't enforce it.

I'm so confused and disappointed. I'm not sure why I went through the pain and expense of getting a band when I really can't feel difference and still relying on myself as before.

I hate to be "downer" for those out there that this is working for. I could really use a pep talk or some enlightenment on what I'm doing wrong.

However, I can't tell you how amazed I am that someone asked. Thank you.

Gee Momster I am so sorry to hear that it's not working for you. Something is wrong, how many fills have you had? maybe you should see a new Bariatric Dr. and have an endoscopy or an upper GI to seehow the band looks and how big the pouch is? Do drink carbonated beverages? Do not just give in to the Dr saying thats how it works becuase thats NOT true. IF your band was working you would not able to eat all you want of what ever you want. Please go see a different dr! It does work when it's right, please let me know how you make out!

Best wishes!

Edited by Wishes4444

I am two weeks post banding (Oct 5, yea), and I started this journey in April, a smidge under 400. So I am reading these threads, looking for the encouragement, looking for the success, but also reading what to watch out for, and to help me set expectations.

Momster0, I don't have the voice of experience yet, but I am overall a positive person. I know that this was a big step for you, and I encourage you to keep at it. I like what some of the others have said, keep on your doctor, you know what you are feeling, keep going back and asking for the next fill. You are your own expert on YOU, and how YOU feel.

That being said, I have some questions about your "get out and move it, MOVE it" (set to a funky beat). Early on, you were asking questions about getting started slowly. How has that progressed for you? Are you able to add more activity in? Have you been able to walk more?

Everyone has their own story. I think I will go start a post with mine, so as to not hijack your thread. But I do want to "friend" you, and several others here that are the voice of experience, just to have people to talk to, and bounce ideas off of, and ask questions.

Momster0, you are worth it, keep at it. :scared2:

I started at Curves in June 2006. That was at my heaviest - 390lbs. I just did what I could, sweated a lot, sometimes got out of breath, but I just did my best, and eventually it got easier for me. I got to the point where Curves was no longer enough, I couldn't lose anymore working with their basic equipment, so I joined another gym that had more of a variety of things to do. I eventually bought a treadmill, weights, and excercise bike for my home and ended up losing a total of 80lbs before getting my band. I began to love excercise...blast some music and get going, and felt so good afterwards. But, then I couldn't lose anymore, got frustrated and started gaining weight, so I got the band. I'm actually miss working out...can't get back into them fully as I'm just 2 weeks post op!

So, basically, just something, anything, whatever you can. Just getting up and shaking your tush to a little music is better than nothing at all!

For those whose knees or hips may make exercise really challenging, I am now a big fan of the Wii dance games, Just Dance and Dancing with the Stars. You can "dance" sitting down part or all of the time if you need to, but still get the heart rate up and sweat a bit. They both have a variety of music from several decades, so there is a good chance you'll find some music that makes it impossible NOT to dance. I've played both with 2 athletic types, and they both thought the games were fun and challenging. My favorite is Just Dance. It felt great to feel good exercising again. (BTW, when I successfully lost weight about 15 years ago, I started by "just dancing." I think I started with 10 minutes and just kept adding time before feeling ready -- and inspired -- to move to videos, then a women's gym.)

I have also been working with a physical therapist for several months. He's generously added a little cardio (arm cycling) to my sessions to support my weight loss. I hope to get enough range of motion back in my knees to be able to use a recumbent bike in the next few months.

Hi everyone! Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. I am still struggling with the lap band and have fallen back on the Atkins diet to lose weight that way. I still feel no restriction, though my band has been in since March of '09. I've lost a total of 75 lbs so far...but none of that was due to the lap band.

My doctor just keeps telling me that I'm doing great. I guess because I'm losing weight slowly (which he says is best) he isn't giving me any additional fills. I hate to say it, but I was scheduled to see him in December but skipped the appointment because I was caught up in the holiday rush and figured nothing would happen anyway.

On a more positive note, I went to my local YMCA where I have a membership and said that I wanted to help them create a "morbidly obese-friendly" program. I am currently at 325 lbs and still can't do the dance and aerobic classes. They tell me that I can participate and only do as much as I can do...but that's SO discouraging when you have to stop after 10-15 mins into the class. They just didn't understand why the people who need exercise the most don't join...and they got an earful from me! I let them know that I even hesitate to use the weight and cardio equipment because I know that some pieces have weight limits that I exceed. Soo they're now working with me to build a separate program that will hopefully improve the "friendiness" of exercise and attract more people like me...and give me the right level of workout that pushes me but doesn't break me.

I hope that this entry doesn't discourage the folks out there who are newly banded or contemplating banding. Right now, I admit that the band isn't helping me much, but just the act of having it done is forcing me to own my body.

I'd love to hear from you!

I've lost a total of 75 lbs so far...but none of that was due to the LAP-BAND®.

Congratulations, great job on the 75 lbls lost so far. I don't care how you lost it, that has to feel good

My doctor just keeps telling me that I'm doing great. I guess because I'm losing weight slowly (which he says is best) he isn't giving me any additional fills.

You are doing great. Most doctors, and even people here on LBT will agree, that loosing weight slowly is healthy for you, probably good long term results, etc. But as far as him not giving you any additional fills, you might have to explain that to us. Is there any additional information behind that? If you feel that the band is not working for you, and you talk with him about how you feel, why you feel that way, I think most of us would agree that ultimately you are in charge of your body, and your band, and unless there is other information, or extenuating circumstances, you should be able to request another fill. If it is just this doc, then are there other options where you live, something where you can talk with another fill doc, maybe see about changing doctors?

On a more positive note, I went to my local YMCA where I have a membership and said that I wanted to help them create a "morbidly obese-friendly" program. .......

Soo they're now working with me to build a separate program that will hopefully improve the "friendiness" of exercise and attract more people like me...and give me the right level of workout that pushes me but doesn't break me.

Right now, I admit that the band isn't helping me much, but just the act of having it done is forcing me to own my body.

I think many people are in that boat, that they realize that they own this body, and that they want, not just numbers on a scale, but a new level of fitness, and a lifestyle change for the better. I am so proud of you for "owning your body" and for going down that path, both with the band, and with healthy choices. And for all the people in your local YMCA area, you should be a hero, for helping them "see" that sometimes, it is more than just joining a gym, it is about making the program MO friendly, staff training maybe to help them, help us. Keep up the great work, and hopefully, soon, you will get some fills, getting to the point where you band is a tool that you are able to use as well.

I just wish I could find some place around here that offers Water aerobics at a decent time like evenings or weekends...not during the day when I'm at work!!!

Liz -- I found that my local Community Center offered evening Water aerobics classes and I took those for several years and enjoyed them. I don't know if you live close enough to something like that but give it a try. Second, I joined Urban Active Fitness gym a year ago and they offer Water aerobics classes in the evenings after work and the exercise classes of all kinds are included in my monthly gym membership fee so that is a bargain. I now don't sign up and pay extra for the Community Center classes, even though I loved that instructor, because the free classes are available at the gym.

I just wish I could find some place around here that offers water aerobics at a decent time like evenings or weekends...not during the day when I'm at work!!!

I am so glad to hear from all of you, to know that I'm not alone! My surgery is in two days (gulp!) but I'm getting my mind in the right place. You are all great inspiration, and I appreciate your company on this journey.

Right now, after listening to all of your good input, I think this is my plan:

1) I'm buying a recombant bike (with a huge seat)

2) I'm going to try out a family membership at my local YMCA gym, and attempt to weather the stares, since I hope to inspire the rest of my family to join me.

3) I'm going to dust off my Dancing to the Oldies tapes and see if I can use them as a "back up plan" if I can't get to the gym (I live in CT, and am snowed in right now).

What do you think?

Awesome start, there is also a DVD called Weigh to Win, it has 3 levels of workout, the first one is done in your chair... I enjoyed it.:thumbdown: