Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you need to lose 200+ pounds, how do you get started with exercise?

What exercise works best for you?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What exercise works best for you?

congrats to all of you women yall are a true inspiration, I really-really need to excersise more but I worry about the stares but then again I guess I should look at it as if well at least im trying.

My son is an inspiration to me, regarding dealing with stares. Here is a true story from last summer:

My huband, two sons (15 and 8) went to Nigara Falls for vacation. We decided to take a tram from the hotel down to where the Falls are. Getting on the tram was no problem, but once we got to the bottom the tram stopped a little "off" where a pole was partially blocking the opening of the seat guards. I had to climb up on the seat and climb over the rails, with everyone watching me. Here's the heartbreaking part: my 8 year old defended me. He yelled out to the crowd, "BIG BUTT, SO WHAT?" It broke the ice and made everyone feel ashamed enough to turn away, but my heart broke a little, too.

I did learn the lesson, tho, of "So What?? I'm trying!"

Hi Momster,

Glad to hear you are doing so well!! I too love that show, I wish I could exercise like they do. This season they finally had big women and I am dying to see how they look at the end! Especilly there skin on the arms and such.

oops boss is back have to run!

Hi Ann,

You know, I read on a website that the hanging skin is mostly because people don't exercise, so their weight loss steals muscle as well as fat and they lose the "support" for their skin. The Biggest Loser shows that I've seen so far seem to support that...those folks lose A LOT of weight, but in the final episode I haven't seen alot of hanging skin. I'm wondering if that's because they work out like maniacs.

I, too, am inspired by the women on the current show. I can't believe how tough Tara is. Although the last 2 shows are heartbreaking for her...with no weight lost last week and only 2 pounds lost this week. I just want to give her a hug!

I will be watching for saggy skin on the final show too!

Hi Ann,

You know, I read on a website that the hanging skin is mostly because people don't exercise, so their weight loss steals muscle as well as fat and they lose the "support" for their skin. The Biggest Loser shows that I've seen so far seem to support that...those folks lose A LOT of weight, but in the final episode I haven't seen alot of hanging skin. I'm wondering if that's because they work out like maniacs.

I, too, am inspired by the women on the current show. I can't believe how tough Tara is. Although the last 2 shows are heartbreaking for her...with no weight lost last week and only 2 pounds lost this week. I just want to give her a hug!

I will be watching for saggy skin on the final show too!

Hummm that's interesting. Makes me feel worse because I am very bad about exercising and my thighs are sagging but my arms are the worst part. I now have bat wings! I must say I thought the skin would be worse then it is but I still have a ways to go. These last 50 pounds will be the toughest for sure. It is so very slow now but thats ok, slow but sure!

Best Wishes

Oh, there is PLENTY of hanging skin on biggest loser. Ever noticed how after a certain period of time the men stop taking off their shirts to be weighed?. It happens when the sag factor becomes too great. Ever notice how the bike shorts the women wear are quite high waisted, not hipsters like is normal these days? Hides the sagging stomach.

Exercise does protect your lean muscle to some degree (you will always lose lean body tissue as well in a big weight loss, you just want to minimise it). Building muscle gives you more shape. But at the end of the day you are shrinking your body, sometimes to 1/2 of its former size, there is going to be skin left over. If you have loads of it, blame your parents and the genes they gave you, not your lack of exercise. Dont make yourself feel guilty over something you cant prevent.

I am so impressed with your progress that I am going to buy the DVD that you've recommended. I'd be interested in learning more about your "modified jumping jacks" (I think I get the "modified push-up" part). How many did you start with, and how often?

Thanks to everyone who is reponding for your inspiration. I'm just starting out, but I feel so much more energy now and am really feeling good!

When I started the modified pushups, I could only do 3 sets of 5. Now I can do 3 sets of 15.

The modified jumping jacks are a little bit confusing to explain, so instead I'm going to send you a link to a 10 minute cardio workout that does not require any equipment. I did this also in the beginning, and still do it when I need a pep for energy. She teaches you to do them in here, and it's a great short workout. Dont worry about not being able to do the "lunges, mountain climbers or squat thrusts" while she does those, I do the modified jumping jacks.

VIDEO: Day 1 Bootcamp Workout

I'm also going to give you a link to an excellent beginners weight training guide that you can do at home. Invest 8 bucks in some 3 pound dumbells and do what you can from the list. You will notice your increased strength in a matter of days.

Fitness Plan Generator

On a side, I took another big step tonight. I bought a swimsuit and went swimming in the gym. I know people were staring at me, but I held my head up high and did my thing. You know what? It felt great. It made me feel like that little girl from years earlier who use to spend all day at the pool. It made me feel human again.

Neway, I feel so many good vibes from this group of high bmi'ers. I hope we can all stick together and help each other out.

Just to give you another point of view. At over 500lbs starting weight it was all I could do to walk down my hallway, so that's where I started. Then my goal was to make it to my mailbox, did that, then it was to make it around my block, which i just did for the first time tonight!

I to was self conscious, but I decided to change my attitude and look forward to being known as the obese/fat/chubby/normal guy that walks around the neighborhood.

Eye on the prize:wink2:

You guys are an inspiration. I'm 5 lbs. shy of needing to lose 200. I'm scared to death I won't be able to pull it off! But you guys give me hope.

I just recently purchased a treadmill, I think it will be easier for me to exercise if I don't have to worry about people looking at me or making fun of me. I know that's silly but that's how I feel.

(Sigh) It's just so hard to get started...and keep going.

You guys are really helping me. When I get discouraged, I know that I'm not alone.

Thanks!

Just to give you another point of view. At over 500lbs starting weight it was all I could do to walk down my hallway, so that's where I started. Then my goal was to make it to my mailbox, did that, then it was to make it around my block, which i just did for the first time tonight!

I to was self conscious, but I decided to change my attitude and look forward to being known as the obese/fat/chubby/normal guy that walks around the neighborhood.

Eye on the prize:wink2:

Good for you! I understand what you mean. JUst going to the mailbox was a HUGE effort. Heck I could barely tie my shoes at my heaviest. You are doing fantastic. Keep it up! :)

Abbie-pie, do what you need to do at home to get that self-confidence built. Once you lose some of the weight, and start feeling good about yourself again, you'll find that you're able to do things that you previously did not think were possible. I felt the same way when I first joined the gym. People were looking at me. It wasn't paranoia. They were looking at me, but now each time I go, it's because I'm not going to let myself down anymore. I'm not going to let other people dictate what I can or can't do. I am going to keep going to that gym. I'm going to keep showing up, and I'm going to prove to everyone that I deserve to be there just as much as anyone else. :eek:

Abbie-pie, do what you need to do at home to get that self-confidence built. Once you lose some of the weight, and start feeling good about yourself again, you'll find that you're able to do things that you previously did not think were possible. I felt the same way when I first joined the gym. People were looking at me. It wasn't paranoia. They were looking at me, but now each time I go, it's because I'm not going to let myself down anymore. I'm not going to let other people dictate what I can or can't do. I am going to keep going to that gym. I'm going to keep showing up, and I'm going to prove to everyone that I deserve to be there just as much as anyone else. :eek:

I admire you, a lot. You do deserve it, just like we all do...it's a shame what society has done to some of us (people like me, with self-confidence issues). I get made fun of because I'm fat, and made fun of when I try to do something about it.

:)

My boss even has made comments about my clothing (making fun of the styles etc). He tells fat jokes all the time in front of me....I hate it.

People don't realize how much they hurt others, or they just don't care, I'm not sure which it is sometimes.

Sorry for having a little pity-party, I know I need to suck it up and stop feeling so damn sorry for myself!

Abbie,

What kind of a boss do you have! That is aweful! Who is he to make fun of you! God that makes me so mad, how dare he! It's bad enough what we have to deal with from strangers staring and laughing, but your boss! Is there nothing you can do legally about that!?

I can tell you there IS a light at the end of the tunnel! In 25 days you will get to start your new life! I now can go out and I am just a reg. over weight person now lol. No more stares and laughs. If I could eat at a buffet no one would laugh & stare at me like I was going to eat the whole buffet, lol but who needs the buffet! You will do fine just wait and see! I put on a bathing suit with some shorts and I went to an indoor pool early in the day with all the other folk, and I didn't carfe what anyone thought I just walked and walked. You can do it too!!!!

Best wishes!

I think the key is to "Do Something.

Dance in your living room, pace your hallway, chair exorcises, garden.

The what is not so important

After a while you will start to feel and see the results and that will give you the confidence to head outside into "skinny world"