Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op-wish I could have dieted when I had the chance.

Hello: This is a new one for me! I have never blogged before, and I sure don't know what a "thread" is. Three days post op and I so wish I hadn't had this done. For some reason, I again think I could have done it on my own, even though I failed hundreds of times. I really didn't expect to feel this badly. I am trying desperately not to hate these beautifully colored Isopure Protein Drinks as I know I have to drink them. My doctor said I wouldn't want to eat - he was soooo wrong. Glad I took 8 days off work as I think I will need every day to recover. I'm weepy and feeling sorry for myself. I wish I knew someone that had had this done, but I don't. Well, on to reading what others say, hopefully, I will get some inspiration - sorry my note is such a downer.

I felt the same way until the morning of day 5 when I got out of bed I thought "Oh this isn't so bad" so hang in there it does get better I promise.

Linda, I am 9 days post op. I also wish I had conquered my weight before resorting to surgery. But the fact is, I did not. I do not feel as bummed as you seem, but I am anxious that I am not going to lose. I am allowed soft mushy food on day seven , so it gets better. every once in a while I think about a favorite food I would like to dive into, and since I have very little restriction until my first fill, I get tempted. However,I cannot fail . I would only be cheating myself and this is my one chance to use this tool to succeed. We can do it!! We can help each other. I admit, I feel a little lonely around my skinny friends, but I got myself here and I can get myself out!! Keep in touch.Peggy

Linda--It gets better, trust me! I was pretty down and weepy myself right after surgery (and those Isopure drinks are NASTY, I know. They made me gag--I couldn't even get them down!) and wondering if I'd made the right decision. But you just have to hang in there! I'm now 3 weeks post op, and am starting to feel normal again finally, getting back to some regular foods (soft foods), and not feeling so exhausted--I think the lack of calories that first week really wiped me out.

I also had those doubts creeping in, thinking I should have been strong enough to lose the weight myself--but I keep reminding myself of what's true--that I AM strong; I had the strength to make a difficult, life-changing decision for myself that will help me make the changes I need to lose the weight for good.

I think it's normal to feel all these things--but trust in yourself and your decision. And you're NOT alone--there is amazing support on this forum, from people across the spectrum--pre-band and all stages of post op.

Hang in there! Please send me a private note if you want to talk more.

Take care,

Valerie

Linda, you are NOT alone. I felt the same way; pre op and post op. I remember the first thing I thought when I came to after the surgery was how much I already regretted it and hating myself for not trying once more to REALLY stick to a diet. I am 13 days post op and feeling so much better, so much more confident by the day about my food choices and the band. I still get paranoid from time to time thinking thoughts of what if it slips and what if this or that; and then I try to dismiss them just as quickly and just take it one day at a time.

Give yourself a chance to heal, work with the band, follow the post op diet and you will be ok .

Day 3 is like the infamous post banded crying day. I did the exact same thing!

I think day 1 and 2 are shock and pain days and then day 3 is the Oh my God I can't believe it day-

I even thought about it today- but I know somewhere deep down inside I would not have this control without the band, no matter what my good intentions are. Nothing else in the world could keep me away from certain foods. Well, unless I wore a band permanently around my mouth!

It is the hunger control that is worth its weight in gold.

Right now you did it and there isn't any turning back at this exact moment- so give it a try- the beauty of this vs. gastric is that it's reversible

You know Im still not sure the lapband helped me. I took off over 80 lbs before. What I hope is the lapband helps me KEEP IT OFF. Yes, I can diet and lose, but keeping it off is the harder challenge, long term.

I decided to get the band while I was qualified, because I never plan on regaining this weight again, and I do hope the band helps me keep this promise to myself.

I was one who came out of surgery feeling like I was starving. I could have eaten that Mexican meal I saw the next day too Im sure. Iv been able to eat anything once I got past that first 30 days of healing.

Chin up, you will get thru the first month. Luckily I didnt have to do liquids very long. I went on to 3 weeks of mushys.

Linda,

You made the right decision, you really did. I was banded on the 3rd and day two was the beginning of my weepy day three. Your hungry cause that band is wide open right now and the Protein drinks just flow on down. While your home just keep browsing this site and your going to find many wonderful folks that have been through or are going through the same things you are. That first week post op will be worth it when you go in and get weighed. I lost 6.5 pounds that first week and was over the moon. It's six pounds towards a healthier life. We are all here to support you Girl, you are not alone in this.. For sure like everyone has said before keep posting to keep in touch. :thumbup:

I was banded Thursday morning, and I can tell you that right now I am starving. This isn't mental hunger, this is tummy growling, very physical hunger.

But, I am fortunate in that I have a ton of Protein products I've found that I really like. unjury has a chicken broth flavor that isn't bad (and it really helps to have something warm, it makes it seem more food-like). I have a couple different flavors of Protein Gelatin, some juice mixes, even a protein hot chocolate.

Is there something besides the Isopure you could be drinking?

Anyway, I'm down 3.2 pounds since surgery so that helps me feel better about the fact I'm hungry. I can make it through the next few weeks, because this change is for a lifetime.

Good luck feeling better about your surgery!

Linda, hang in there, I know it may be hard to believe now but it does get better each day. I had my band on 2 9 09 and I didn't think that it would get better but after getting feed back from others at the site, I can honestly say it does get better. Keep reading and bouncing things off others and you will be surprised how much info you get. You are stronger than you think and your worth the challenge. Remember nothing fast ----- last!!!

bjt:thumbup:

We all feel like omg what have i done after you wake up from surgery, but we have taken a huge step and there is only plowing foreward. I got banded monday, got on a plane wednesday and back to work on thursday, i feel fine, just a bit sore but keeping life normal makes me feel normal, if i am busy my mind does not wander and the past 6 days have gone by quickly. It is hard to figure out what is hungry, what is full, what is way to full, what makes me full, how to eat or drink slowly and listen to my body!!!

worst part...... chubby catzilla cats walking on my belly!!

i am happy, yet i get choked up easily... its like puberty all over again!

Dream about the possibilities we now have!!!

Hi Linda

I remember that too! for me it was Sept 07 - since banding I have lost about 5 and half stone (77lb) and have a bout 1 more (14lb) to go to get to my goal of the top of my bmi.

It is not easy, you have to work with the band and not around it; but once you get your fill right for you it will feel great. I was hungry straight after surgery and after each fill until my last one. I am now on 7.75mls (was up to 8 but had 0.25 taken out as I was struggling to drink until the end of the day).

You will be able to do it now, just hang on in there.

Best wishes to you in your journey. :0)

Hello: This is a new one for me! I have never blogged before, and I sure don't know what a "thread" is. Three days post op and I so wish I hadn't had this done. For some reason, I again think I could have done it on my own, even though I failed hundreds of times. I really didn't expect to feel this badly. I am trying desperately not to hate these beautifully colored Isopure Protein drinks as I know I have to drink them. My doctor said I wouldn't want to eat - he was soooo wrong. Glad I took 8 days off work as I think I will need every day to recover. I'm weepy and feeling sorry for myself. I wish I knew someone that had had this done, but I don't. Well, on to reading what others say, hopefully, I will get some inspiration - sorry my note is such a downer.

I could have written this very post on 1/17 when I was 3 days post op. I was depressed, sore, having trouble "eating", and having panic attacks. I do want you to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. At about 5-6 days post op, I really turned a corner and began to feel normal again. I went from searching on google about how to get it removed to loving the band. Just try to take it one day at a time. you're almost through the hardest part! Good luck!

Dear Linda,

Hope today is a better one for you. The first couple of weeks are tough but once you don't have to battle constant hunger you will have smooth sailing. Try and focus on all the great things the future holds for you.

It's going to get so much better for sure! Rather than focusing on the tough times right now, just imagine what the next summer or Christmas or whatever period is going to be like. Stay focused on your goals and don't let anything stand in your way!

Brad