Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op-wish I could have dieted when I had the chance.

Aw Linda.. what your feeling is normal. On here I've heard them refer to it as 'buyer's remorse'.. but I promise you it goes away. I struggled with the Isopure too.. I made jell-o with it, that was the only way I could get it down. Drinking it straight up I just couldn't handle the slick consistency. Others have also mentioned diluting it, or mixing it with Crystal Light. I found those tips after I was already onto full liquids, but hopefully they will help you. Good luck.. it will get better.. really it will.

I was banded 1/20, and took 1.5 weeks off before going back to work. I was grateful that I could sleep in (in my recliner), not think about anything besides getting the Protein in and reading these boards. I'm feeling much better now, and had kept a list of all the foods that "drove me crazy" during the month of liquids (2 pre-op and 2 post op), then pureed some of them during my current mushie stage (beef masaman, chili dog, roast chicken, tandoori chicken...just add broth if they don't have a lot of sauce, so I'm now getting the flavors and it was well worth the wait).

Good luck, it WILL get better.

Nancy

Hey - don't worry - it's a reaction to the anaesthetic - they don't tell you that!! It's proven that you get depressed for about 2 weeks after going under... it's a big drug cocktail after all... ever heard of the crash after you do drugs? Same thing.... I had that weepy feeling - as did all the other people who posted here. I also wondered what the f***k have I put into my body. I'm now 8 weeks out and feeling normal again. And remember... the best thing about this surgery is that it's always reversible.

s

Good blog. I was wondering if I was the only one with some of the doubts and fears. It is great to have this forum where we can share these things. I guess we have to remember this is a TOOL. There is still much that I have to do for myself. Learning confidence and patience are two of the top items I need to work on. Confidence that I CAN do this and patience by remembering that it didn't happen overnight so I can't fix it quickly either. I agree that I need to focus on the end result. I am only 5 days out and have my first follow-up in 3 days. So let's just keep each other informed with as much as we can. The more knowledge we have about each of us is going through we will know we are not alone and what we can expect and how to handle it. Power for us in knowledge and support from others experiencing it together. Hang in there and hope to hear from everyone often.

Linda, Congratulations on your band!

I was just banded on 2/13. 10 am. I had the same feelings you did when I was being prepped for my surgery. I kept thinking about how I could tell the surgeon I changed my mind...but I didn't. It was scary, but don't remember anything. I have caught myself thinking about why I couldn't just stay on a heathly diet exercise and not do the surgery. I feel better today but am very tired if the liquids. I think my stomach is growling but can't really tell yet. I'm afraid to drink anything other than the doctor recommended for my liquid diet. It will get better! Just hang in there and we can keep in touch with our progress. Laura

Edited by Scrapping1

I think the majority of those who had surgery felt this way at some point post op. I certainly did and regretted it until about 2 weeks post op. After that I began feeling so much better and now after over 5 months I don't regret it at all. I'm looking forward to a healthier future. You'll be fine in a couple of weeks or less.

I felt the same way and it did get better as time went on-

I am not losing weight quickly but I am eating so much less and I feel good about that

hang in there

you will get used to it and you will get better

Hi Linda,

I was banded 2/10/09. My worst day was 4 days post op, it bothered me so much to be thinking of everything I wanted to eat. Like I said to my husband there's alot to be said for being able to chew. I kept thinking to myself how can be hungry when I still have trouble getting my Protein Drinks and all the other Fluid I need to in w/out feeling bloated. It was horrible I just broke down and cried. Now I'm 7 days out and I'm feeling much better and know I will continue to do so. Everyone has their reasons for having the surgery, never forget yours they will be what carries you through all the tough times. Good luck and I hope you feel better.:tongue2:

You or anyone else can contact me for additional support.

Hang in there. Many of us have questioned if this was the right decision for us. I did before and after surgery. I really think it is the fear of the unknown mixed in with what we know.

My example is this; the fear of not knowing if WLS is really going to work mixed in with the knowing that every flipping weight loss attempted yielded less than stellar results.

Give your self time. Allow yourself to work the band. The weight we gain did not occur over not, so our weight loss will not happen over-night as well.

I bet in two weeks you will feel so much better.

Good luck!

Hi Linda,

I was banded 2/10/09. My worst day was 4 days post op, it bothered me so much to be thinking of everything I wanted to eat. Like I said to my husband there's alot to be said for being able to chew. I kept thinking to myself how can be hungry when I still have trouble getting my Protein drinks and all the other Fluid I need to in w/out feeling bloated. It was horrible I just broke down and cried. Now I'm 7 days out and I'm feeling much better and know I will continue to do so. Everyone has their reasons for having the surgery, never forget yours they will be what carries you through all the tough times. Good luck and I hope you feel better.:thumbup:

You or anyone else can contact me for additional support.

Hi Linda

Adapting to the band can be difficult at first. I was banded almost 2 years ago in Belgium, I live in England. I am a member of another site too and what I experienced and what a lot of others experienced seems to be different to that of others on this forum. Firstly I have not heard of the Protein Drink that is mentioned and whilst all surgeons have different recommendations I am not alone when I say that I resumed sloppy food very early on. I was on Soups and yoghurts etc from day 3 and by day 6 I was on sloppies. Some people stay on liquids for much longer but it is also common to start on sloppies as early as I did. Your body will soon tell you if it is too early for you. It is a learning curve and everybody is different but there is no need to feel deprived when there are lots of alternative foods available, it can be an adventure rather than a physical endurance test. I am confident when I say this unless there is a huge difference between bands which I think not, I have a heliogast band.

Remember everybody is different and what works for one may not for another but I was not alone in my experience.

Good luck on your journey, chin up, you will soon see the benefits of having your band. I have never looked back and not once have I wished that I had not had it done, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The band exceeded my expectations for weight loss and flexibility, it got me to target without a lot of work on my part and I have just recently had a Tummy Tuck (3 weeks today) so I am like a new woman now! I hope my words inspire you or at the very least make you feel better.

Bye for now.

Heather

Oh yeah you will have days like this! It's like what the heck did I just do to myself? It gets easier but I had one of those days the other day. I just wanted to eat! But there are good things too - I haven't had soda for 3 weeks and I don't miss it. I thought I would be really missing it! I also lost 22 lbs since Jan 29th. You just have to take the good with the bad and get into your routine and you'll feel better!:thumbup:

Linda,

What you are feeling is completely normal after anesthesia. A few days after surgery it is common to feel depressed and regret. I remember crying and wanting to get the band removed immediately. My husband (a physician) explained the medical reasons for this and I accepted it and just cried for 3 or 4 days. Then it left me as fast as it came and I felt fine, even excited that I now had this tool to help me to lose weight. Hang in there and you should feel like your old self soon, after the anesthesia clears itself from your body.