Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think some folks are banded too soon for their own good?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think some folks are banded too soon for their own good?

• I also see a link between problems and fast banders
    • No, fast or slow, everyone seems to have the same problems
    • The people who had to wait longest for the band seem to have better results
    • I see no difference in people's weight loss based on wait time

I am real newbie and do want to know what PB is? Excuse my ignorance!

You misunderstand! You are a pre bander and doing exactly the right thing getting yourself informed PRIOR to your expected surgery date in the summer.

i voted for the latter option....

i saw a commercial - was tired of being fat & diets not working - called a surgeon - insurance wouldn't cover me (bmi too low) - i was self pay in 2kwks.

not proud that i wasn't fully informed, found this site AFTER being banded...; but it's what you do after the little sucker is in you, that counts.

i was a slow loser in the beginning - not for anything i did; just my body... but i lost more than what my dr suggested by month 10.

all relative in my opinion; some are where i was, thankfully many helped me out a bunch early on. being informed early on does not guarantee 100% success.

More interesting still.... Another voter who sees no difference in weight loss per their vote was banded quickly and identifies themselves as a "slow loser"
Another voter for 'I see no difference' by a quick bander with marginal weight loss, also notably a self pay who mentions often that they received very little information pre band
Another vote for 'I see no difference' by someone whose first post was to announce a band date a week later. I am starting to see a trend, I may have hit a sore spot with people who are living in The Nile river
That's interesting! One of the voters who voted they see no difference has posted threads that speak to exactly what I'm talking about I quote "Why didn't anyone tell me?"
Another 'I see no difference' by a self pay, fast bander with marginal results

Come on folks, can't you see what I'm seeing? Chime in

Firstly, if you're referring to me as the self-pay with questionable results, you've got to be kidding. I've lost half of my weight in four months. I'm right on track. I've followed all the rules my doctor has set, and I've not had any band issues, so you're barking up the wrong tree. In fact, if you want to play that game, I can just as easily say that self-pays are more complient than people who have insurance because they have more skin in the game. I could say it, but it wouldn't make it true, kind of like you're little snipes at people.

Secondly, I find it rather rude that you're critiquing voters, especially since so few have voted, and if your remark was aimed at me, you clearly don't what you're talking about. Why don't you wait and let the poll tell the story, or if you can't resist the urge to judge, ask the mods to make the poll anonymous.

Also, when you get a band, you'll understand more about the rate of weight loss. Some people get restriction right off the bat, but for others it takes awhile.

P.S. If you weren't referring to me, your comments are still rude.

Edited by kiz

Not to be argumentative with you but I think a lot of people on here would argue that you are not a slow loser or in any way have marginal results. The most often used description of you by people here is "wow'. I actually expected you to chime in as you and j are exceptions to the rule

i voted for the latter option....

i saw a commercial - was tired of being fat & diets not working - called a surgeon - insurance wouldn't cover me (bmi too low) - i was self pay in 2kwks.

not proud that i wasn't fully informed, found this site AFTER being banded...; but it's what you do after the little sucker is in you, that counts.

i was a slow loser in the beginning - not for anything i did; just my body... but i lost more than what my dr suggested by month 10.

all relative in my opinion; some are where i was, thankfully many helped me out a bunch early on. being informed early on does not guarantee 100% success.

Ouch! Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Firstly, if you're referring to me as the self-pay with questionable results, you've got to be kidding. I've lost half of my weight in four months. I'm right on track. I've followed all the rules my doctor has set, and I've not had any band issues, so you're barking up the wrong tree. In fact, if you want to play that game, I can just as easily say that self-pays are more complient than people who have insurance because they have more skin in the game. I could say it, but it wouldn't make it true, kind of like you're little snipes at people.

Secondly, I find it rather rude that you're critiquing voters, especially since so few have voted, and if your remark was aimed at me, you clearly don't what you're talking about. Why don't you wait and let the poll tell the story, or if you can't resist the urge to judge, ask the mods to make the poll anonymous.

My sense is that it depends much more on the person than the time frame. Some folks will have gotten very informed before that first consult..... others could have a lifetime to get informed, and still be woefully ignorant.

I spent over 2 years thinking about it and researching it before seeing the surgeon....then 5 months between first visit and the actual surgery.

My doc makes everyone actually take a test before he will agree to band them. The test reflects the educational materials they provide about pros and cons of different surgeries, possible complications, etc. It does, not, however, teach you much about the little stuff, for which this site is an invaluable resource.

Also, no I wasn't referring to you and lastly please see post # 1 "This should piss some people off but that is not my intent. Best case scenario it becomes a spirited discussion of the merits of waiting. Worse case, those offended will rant at me for a while and I won't miss a wink of sleep over it."

Also, when you get a band, you'll understand more about the rate of weight loss. Some people get restriction right off the bat, but for others it takes awhile.

I don't think she was protesting too much as she was perhaps trying to let you know that your posts come across as overly judgmental. I doubt that is your intent, but I would agree with the poster that you might want to wait to see more poll results before critiquing those who vote. If you refrain from making generalizations so early on you're likely to have more people actually answer your question.

More interesting still.... Another voter who sees no difference in weight loss per their vote was banded quickly and identifies themselves as a "slow loser"
Another voter for 'I see no difference' by a quick bander with marginal weight loss, also notably a self pay who mentions often that they received very little information pre band
Another vote for 'I see no difference' by someone whose first post was to announce a band date a week later. I am starting to see a trend, I may have hit a sore spot with people who are living in The Nile river
That's interesting! One of the voters who voted they see no difference has posted threads that speak to exactly what I'm talking about I quote "Why didn't anyone tell me?"

Umm...let's see, I made one post after you commenting on my vote. You're the one with ther trail of protests and judgements. I would say you're the one who protests too much.

Anyway, good luck to you when you get your band.

My stated intent for the poll is for people to be judgemental, of course my posts are judgemental. I don't need or care if everyone answers my question nor do I need to see more poll results. The truth of the matter is in the forum in every answer to every question. I'm not the first to say it and won't be the last I'm sure. Why would people argue to have those who are failing their band to keep their blinders on to what is truly hampering their success. How many times does it have to be said, it is a tool. I submit this poll and thread for your consideration, to all......if the glove doesn't fit, don't put it on! But if it does, maybe someone telling them the truth is what is needed.

I don't think she was protesting too much as she was perhaps trying to let you know that your posts come across as overly judgmental. I doubt that is your intent, but I would agree with the poster that you might want to wait to see more poll results before critiquing those who vote. If you refrain from making generalizations so early on you're likely to have more people actually answer your question.

Not to be argumentative with you but I think a lot of people on here would argue that you are not a slow loser or in any way have marginal results. The most often used description of you by people here is "wow'. I actually expected you to chime in as you and j are exceptions to the rule

i lost less than 30lbs by month 6 - that's slow in my book.

but i never got discouraged & knew the rest of the lbs would fall off my a$$.

i'd let the poll percolate a bit for good range of votes/opinions.

Umm...let's see, I made one post after you commenting on my vote. You're the one with ther trail of protests and judgements. I would say you're the one who protests too much.

Anyway, good luck to you when you get your band.

Thank you for your best wishes sincerely. However, again I did not comment on your vote, If you happened to vote just before I commented in the thread, I would have no way of knowing that, the votes are alphabetical, not by order received.

Also pasted as stated in earlier post "My stated intent for the poll is for people to be judgemental, of course my posts are judgemental. I don't need or care if everyone answers my question nor do I need to see more poll results. The truth of the matter is in the forum in every answer to every question. I'm not the first to say it and won't be the last I'm sure. Why would people argue to have those who are failing their band to keep their blinders on to what is truly hampering their success. How many times does it have to be said, it is a tool. I submit this poll and thread for your consideration, to all......if the glove doesn't fit, don't put it on! But if it does, maybe someone telling them the truth is what is needed."

I am real newbie and do want to know what PB is? Excuse my ignorance! I am reading everything I can, but have still not come across an answer to this.

Thanks!

I didn't know what that meant either. I found this answer from another board:

"PB'ing means productive burping and it is what happens if you eat something that cannot get past the band. Basically you just throw it back up. Sliming usually preceeds pb'ing and it is when your body creates a lot of saliva in your mouth and mucus in your stomach to aid in throwing the stuck item(s) back up.

It sounds gross, and well, it is, but if the band is properly adjusted pb'ing can be avoided by chewing thoroughly, knowing which kinds of foods are likely to cause a problem for you, and eating slowly."

"The truth of the matter is in the forum in every answer to every question."

Well maybe, but the truth is, not all posts are true.

It does seem a bit odd to me that someone who hasn't even been banded is intentionally judgemental? I just don't get where your coming from? I have wondered just like another poster if maybe people who are self pay tend to be more successful. But, I certainly wouldn't think a poll like this would really give me any real insight to the answer. It just doesn't work that way.

Why even do the pole, why didn't you just post your idea? The poll proves nothing and if you don't know why, you need to go to a forum on errors induced by pollsters. :cursing:

I'll buy that. You are absolutely right. I am suggesting that quick banders FOR THE MOST PART did not in fact do as much homework and did not really know that they still have to work to get results
I beleave that's gonna be on a one on one basis. I called to check on having the surgery in the late spring or early summer(can't remember) and had surgery on 7/22. But I did plenty of homework before I even made that call. I've seen many people on this forum alone that have done the 6mo. pre-op and so forth only to be moaning about how their band has failed them and truth be told they failed their band. maybe by thinking it was going to be a effortless weightloss, When they find out they have to work for it and show self control they blame the band. So I really think it comes down to the person, and not who had to wait longer. That would be like saying self pay people are gonna work harder because of all that money they are out of pocket. And I don't beleave that eather.