Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think some folks are banded too soon for their own good?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think some folks are banded too soon for their own good?

• I also see a link between problems and fast banders
    • No, fast or slow, everyone seems to have the same problems
    • The people who had to wait longest for the band seem to have better results
    • I see no difference in people's weight loss based on wait time

I feel compelled to respond to this. My first appt with dr.'s for the lap band was may 08. They told me it was about a 3 month journey till I get a date. I couldn't wait for this to happen, thinking who will like me better because I am thinner and so on. I felt like I was jumping through hoops and getting no where. I am gr8ful that my date is 2/23/09 because it gave me time to get my head in the right place. I saw a friend loose about 80lbs on another plan and when I realized he was the same person, I didn't look at him differently, is when I knew that I had to do this for myself and not give a sh*t about what anyone else thinks or says. And I will say I believe that I am truely ready. I plan GOD laughs.....happy banding

What is PB?

:biggrin:

PB....productive burp.

When you are banded, sometimes food gets stuck, and doesn't want to move through. You are suppose to get up and walk around and let it try to work itself out.

But, a lot of times, you just can't, so you have a contraction that isn't puking, and it isn't really burping either, that makes the food in your pouch come back up and out. It think people refer to the burp, because it is similar in that you are kind of forcing it to happen.

I think PB's as more like what you would do if you were choking on something to get it out, but you don't have the feeling of choking, just the feeling that food won't go down.

Some common reasons for PB's, are

Band too tight

Not chewing your food enough for the constriction level you are at

Taking too big of bites

Being dehydrated prior to eating

Eating foods that like to reform into a bigger mass after being swallowed (starchy items)

:smile:Thanks, that helps. I am really new here, my surgery date is 2/23/09 only 11 days away. From a lot of what I have read so far I don't think I will be in any rush to start eating real food post-op. thanks for the lesson:)

Dan2001xj, You say that your intent is not to offend, but your posts read as very confrontational. It sounds as if you are attempting to discredit everyone who might not agree with you. I am not banded yet, and you can look at my stats, but it won't tell you that I attended my seminar almost two years ago. I learned my insurance would not cover the costs, and I've worked very hard to be able to finance my surgery.

Likely, you would have lumped me into the short term group, though. Being on this site does not represent the total "research" one might do. It behooves all of us to read the medical journal literature about the band, either before or after you are banded. Chatting/posting is helpful, but it is not research. Moreover, do I think I've learned a ton more because my journey was a total pain in the A? No. I don't. I learned most of what I know within two weeks of the first seminar I went to. The weight was just harder than it needed to be, especially since I've had to struggle with two weight related illnesses the whole two years, and there was no benefit to waiting like that. None.

I will likely have times where I feel like I don't want the band, and times of discouragement. I'd like to think that during those moments I could come to this forum without worrying about being judged. Hint, hint.

Has anyone noticed that Dan appears to be bored and simply looking for a fight?

I've seen other threads by him and he's appears to be a troll.

LOL, just because Beth called me a troll doesn't make it so SuzanneG. If you care to read all of my posts you will find the truth of the matter. I am pre-band no doubt. I just find it hard to not reply when people make excuses for failure. Maybe we should ask the mods for /a tell it like it is subforum to go along with the many /Here is a hug I will enable you to fail subforums.

Because this forum is predominantly women I do expect I will cause many problems over the years, yes years! I am here to stay and I will offer my OPINION just like you will. I am on my own journey and don't much care if anyone likes me or what I have to say, I'm not doing it for your approval and I will be the voice of reason when I see people lying to themselves and others. Why? because I can. The same reason you or others will provide advice like "It's ok that you ate a horse, I'm sure we all lose weight at different rates and try to exercise more" Why? because you can. I will be thought provoking for someone if nothing else.

Dan2001xj, You say that your intent is not to offend, but your posts read as very confrontational. It sounds as if you are attempting to discredit everyone who might not agree with you. I am not banded yet, and you can look at my stats, but it won't tell you that I attended my seminar almost two years ago. I learned my insurance would not cover the costs, and I've worked very hard to be able to finance my surgery.

Likely, you would have lumped me into the short term group, though. Being on this site does not represent the total "research" one might do. It behooves all of us to read the medical journal literature about the band, either before or after you are banded. Chatting/posting is helpful, but it is not research. Moreover, do I think I've learned a ton more because my journey was a total pain in the A? No. I don't. I learned most of what I know within two weeks of the first seminar I went to. The weight was just harder than it needed to be, especially since I've had to struggle with two weight related illnesses the whole two years, and there was no benefit to waiting like that. None.

I will likely have times where I feel like I don't want the band, and times of discouragement. I'd like to think that during those moments I could come to this forum without worrying about being judged. Hint, hint.

Hint Hint, I agree with you except I will make people pause and think instead of offering a warm gooey rainbow hug, I will not coddle.

Mr Dan,

You know we are mostly women, so why would you want to start a pissing match? Seriously!

Maybe also, you need to take a moment to look at yourself.. a lot of the reason people only wait 3-7 months is because 1. they adapt to the new diet the drs set forth, so in the process 2. they LOOSE a lot of weight. Most drs require a lot of testing, and psychological testing.

Just maybe people aren't successful because the band wasn't for them, and RNY would have been better, the band is just that a band.. we all have failed dieting on our own.. so we all have a 50/50 of failing the band, that DOES include YOU!

Your surgery is coming soon, maybe you need to focus more on the changes you are going to have to make to be successful yourself?

Also another fyi, there are a TON of successful and unsuccessful people that are not on our board.. You will ALWAYS hear the complaints online considering when someone has gotten lost in their journey this is where they will come. On the other hand the long term lost all their weight people will NOT be on the boards.

Don't post a thread about failing, when most of us that are getting banded here lost our 10% + before surgery:sleep:

Edited by AudsMom

Observation? I don't think the amount of time you had to wait means anything when it comes to whether you're successful or not. Not from those I've observed on this forum. And I am also aware that there are hundreds of thousands of successful banders who don't post on these forums, so it's not even like we're a true representative group. I know people tend to post when they're having problems, and not when things are going well, so you're going to find a demographic skewed towards complications in forums like these.

My GP suggested the band to me 6 months prior to my surgery, I dismissed it thinking I wouldn't want surgery to try to fix my weight problem. Then something significant happened to someone in my family, and that night I decided I was going to get banded after all.

From that day to the day I got banded: 1 month.

And having lost approx 7-10lbs a month consistently, I think I personally am proof that it's not about how long you wait.

No amount of research can prepare you for the reality of the surgery. The learning is truly experiential. The band has been described by one surgeon as being a behavior modification tool. That means it punishes bad behavior (with pain or discomfort) and rewards good behavior (with weight loss and feeling better), leading to success in most cases. What this means is that the learning takes place in the process, with experience. No amount of reading and research can accomplish that.

While I agree with you that logically there could be a link for some people between impulsive surgery and impulsive eating, and in some cases this could lead to failure, I also see that the band can change that impulsiveness through behavior modification. But we can't sit here as armchair scientists and decide that this is or isn't so. There are no statistics to prove or disprove this theory of yours.

Bottom line: While your theory sounds somewhat logical, there are counterexamples on both sides, and we just can't know without statistics which do not exist.

I will say this. You can't judge people as "failures" in the first few months after getting banded, and the fact that you did shows how little you know about the reality of life with the band. It can take 4-6 months to achieve restriction. If a person has not yet reached restriction and has the same appetite and stomach capacity as before surgery, they won;t lose weight except through sheer willpower.

I have lost 20 pounds in the 2 months since my surgery, plus 20 more pre-op. It was all done through dieting and willpower. Only now after my second fill do I feel the band is starting to help me. I don't have full restriction yet. It's too soon to call my band a success or failure, because until now it's been all me with little to no help from the band. And there were weeks when I gained weight - when I ate several slices of deep dishes without feeling a thing, because I had the hunger and stomach capacity to do so. Now, after my second fill, I couldn;t do that! But until a week ago I could. Don't judge people, really.

Edited by dietpeach

Hint Hint, I agree with you except I will make people pause and think instead of offering a warm gooey rainbow hug, I will not coddle.

You're right. You can decide who you are going to be. All the same, I would appreciate it if you would avoid any communication with me in the years, yes years, to come. I don't find your lack of compassion for others refreshingly honest. I find it boorish and damaging. If you'll recall, you started this thread. You weren't asked to coddle anyone. You are just trying to be hurtful, and nobody asked you.

Besides, you seem to have stated that you have a sexist disposition toward women, and I find that just as deplorable as racism. We've all been judged considerably in our lives by people who don't understand the difficulties of obesity. I don't need any more of that from you. Please don't respond to my posts, and I will avoid yours, as well. Good day.

There is a huge difference between not coddling someone and acting like an a$$hole. No one gives a shit how superior you feel you are. No one cares about your ability to 'give people pause and think', you don't have that much power. Your attitude makes you insignificant and people will ignore your self righteous attitude. Yeah, this is me not coddling you.