Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think some folks are banded too soon for their own good?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think some folks are banded too soon for their own good?

• I also see a link between problems and fast banders
    • No, fast or slow, everyone seems to have the same problems
    • The people who had to wait longest for the band seem to have better results
    • I see no difference in people's weight loss based on wait time

Why even do the pole, why didn't you just post your idea? The poll proves nothing and if you don't know why, you need to go to a forum on errors induced by pollsters. :cursing:

It's a good question you pose.

I'd suggest that some people simply lack confidence in their own opinions and feel the need to seek confirmation from others in order to justify their own thoughts.

Since I have not conducted a longitudinal study to determine if there are issues, nor have I found research pertaining to this matter, I cannot state whether or not there really is an issue.

Really, the person that I am concerned with the most regarding all things "Band" is me.

I do care about other Band people and will offer advice, where I can, but really the only person that matters in my band journey is me. I can control me, but I cannot control others, thus why make others perceived failures my problem?

Edited by TQUAD64

I'll buy that. You are absolutely right. I am suggesting that quick banders FOR THE MOST PART did not in fact do as much homework and did not really know that they still have to work to get results

There is no telling for those who paid cash how long they researched the band prior to actually going in and scheduling surgery. I have looked into this for four years. I had one month between my initial visit and surgery. And, granted, I am only two and a half months out, but I am doing great, following what I am supposed to do, working out and seeing fantastic results so far.

So in my opinion, no, there is no correlation. I did a TON of research prior to making this decision. I got to act fast once the decision was made because I had the cash to pay for this and did not have to go through insurance.

I think many people are banded without knowing all the facts...BUT even though you have read the research and think you know all there is to know, you won't. Until you have that band in place and have lived with it for a year or two, don't think you have all the answers and can predict that you will succeed faster or slower than others.

The band is not black and white, many gray areas. What one can eat, another can't. What you eat one day, you can't another. It is not an exact science. I continue to learn a year and half out. I read the books, compared studies, spoke with pts. attended support groups. I've worked with Bariatric pts for 20 years and in those years, I have seen procedures/technics change, as well as my own opinion about bariatric surgery.

So, until you've walked the walk, please don't degrade others for asking questions. People look to this site for help and information.

Edited by cheryl f.

Well, I went from consult to band in a matter of weeks and I think it is safe to say I am a success and I certainly am a rule - follower.

Really, I think making people wait is not really all that relevant as to whether or not they will be successful.

I think personal level of commitment and a real desire to make a change are infinitely more valuable and a better predictor of success.

I was banded a few weeks after I made my decision to finally go self-pay and get banded . . . yet I had been thinking about WLS for several years beforehand and went through the steps to do bypass but decided it wasn't worth it in the end.

So I am not sure if that makes me a short wait or long wait, although I was informed. I am sure I did ask what is a pb in the beginning. I met my goal as well and went from morbid obesity to a normal BMI . . . so I consider that success.

I do see people who are either uninformed, but most likely just noncompliant and banded asking really unusual questions being post-op. People post that they ate a burger 2 days post banding, or they skipped their post-op diet stages from Clear liquids to solids. Some people complain they are not losing but in the same breath are saying they don't exercise, don't eat healthy, and don't follow basic banding rules.

I am not sure that forcing the people who choose to forgo any attempt at following the most basic of bandster rules are going to have more success if they wait 1 week or 1 year.

Another vote for 'I see no difference' by someone whose first post was to announce a band date a week later. I am starting to see a trend, I may have hit a sore spot with people who are living in The Nile river

Well just because someone posts a week before their op does not mean that it took a week to decide and prepare. I just started blogging and posting because it really helps me to see that it is not just me who may feel, think or what have you certain things. I have been considering banding since '05 but have accumulated knowledge and decided to do certain things (like try for a family first which I have a beautiful son) when I felt it right. Especially with the advent of it becoming less and less invasive. You will never know someone's entire process from a poll unless you get to know them or ask the right questions.

However, at the same time I would attribute success to pre-knowledge, the changes you make and what and how you apply what you have learned and continued to learn. DO not knock those who may be getting up the courage to finally begin to speak about this process that should not be taken lightly.

I guess in all I am saying I agree with muchh of your thought, but at the same time... you do not know everyon'e story from one poll!

Initial Consult: 09/08

Psych Eval: 10/08

Insurance Approval: 12/08

Pre-Op: 01/09

Proposed Op date: 02/09

I have been working on this for about 4 yrs, my surgery date is 3-17-09, went to seminar in 2005, but I have seen people have to much time and talk them selves out of having band done because of fear! So is there actually a balance in this question?

"The truth of the matter is in the forum in every answer to every question."

Well maybe, but the truth is, not all posts are true.

It does seem a bit odd to me that someone who hasn't even been banded is intentionally judgemental? I just don't get where your coming from? I have wondered just like another poster if maybe people who are self pay tend to be more successful. But, I certainly wouldn't think a poll like this would really give me any real insight to the answer. It just doesn't work that way.

Why even do the pole, why didn't you just post your idea? The poll proves nothing and if you don't know why, you need to go to a forum on errors induced by pollsters. :smile:

Amen to that!

Why not worry about yourself and spend your time learning all you can for youself? We will never know everything, that is for sure. It is up to us, individually, to learn and that can only come from our own experiences and taking only what we want from others comments. And as someone else pointed out and I am speaking from experience as well, everyone is different. We feel restriction differently, we can not all eat the same things,we are different ages, etc There are so many variables how can we ever answer the question you pose? I think after you have lived with the band for a while you will understand better.

Interesting and lively discussion going on here!

Here is a thought: I think there is much to be said about the individual programs that people enroll in. Some require a lot of educational steps be completed before even meeting the surgeon, such as in my case.

I had to sit through the public information session, complete the ultrasound, undergo psych eval (several sessions, which represented months), attend at least one support group meeting, meet with nutritionist AND pass a short nutrition quiz before being scheduled to meet with the surgeon. I was banded less than three weeks from that appointment date, and had all of that work behind me at that point. The bariatric center also expects me to be actively engaged in their support for the next several years, which includes not only fills, but support groups and any necessary nutritional and psych counseling.

In between the various steps, I also spent a lot of time on this website, learning what I could from the experiences of others. A good balance between 'textbook' and 'experiential' information, I felt.

What do others think about the idea of success being tied to the program, not only the person??

thanks for listening!

I will throw my case as an example.

July 3rd - Called True Results, set up appointment and faxed forms (downloaded from web).

July 7th - Had appointment and EKG.

July 8th - Had bloodwork.

July 11th - Set surgery date and started pre-op diet.

July 25th - had surgery.

Feb. 12th - down 90 since surgery, and about 100 including the preop diet time.

I don't see that my speed caused any problem.

But that is one example. I don't really know anything other facts other than my own.

Has anyone noticed that Dan appears to be bored and simply looking for a fight?

I've seen other threads by him and he's appears to be a troll.

What do others think about the idea of success being tied to the program, not only the person??

thanks for listening!

very interesting point, probably a more worthwhile discussion than the poll here.

like steve, i went thru true results - they were very efficient in my case....every test was done in 3 days & insurance notification of denial very fast:rolleyes::crying:

i'm not a "support" group person at all, plus my dr is well over an hr away. i have enjoyed and learned so much from this online community that what i didn't get here, my dr & his staff filled in the gaps. i can totally see where group support, nutritional classes & psych meetings could very well help a portion of those being banded....me i tried a sit in when i did weight watchers a few yrs back and i hated it. different stroks.

as far as dan being a troll - who knows.

don't think this thread is any worse than the one where some claim that those who weigh less than 200lbs have no right getting WLS..:biggrin:

as far as dan being a troll - who knows.

OK . . . quick confession. My name is Heather and I am an occasional troll myself . . . just ask my DH & DS and they will give it to you straight, lol.

Sometimes the occasional troll response makes a thread a little more interesting :biggrin:

I think that is an excellent point. People have different needs and a program that ensures full understanding and helps to support compliance can't hurt.

Some people are capable of doing it on their own and using alternative support measures, such as self-education and forums, as their primary means of support. However, many people also struggle and do better with a little more hand-holding. Different strokes is right . . . so all the better to have more tools at your disposal to find the best solution for each person.