Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Soda?

Does anyone know WHY we are not to drink diet soda? I have to admit I've snuck some in here and there. And now I'm worried I've done damage, though, everything seems normal.

The reason is because it expands in the stomach because of the carbon dioxide. I used to be a big diet pepsi drinker and after 3 months really don't miss it at all. Good Luck!!

I used to drink so much diet coke. It was ridiculous the amount but stopped 2 months prior to surgery. I thought it was going to be so hard but it really wasnt. In fact I accidently took a sip of what I thought was my cup of iced tea and it was my cousins diet coke and i thought it tasted awful. The taste was so nasty so I do not feel bad about the soda anymore. Loving my crystal light.

You want to be careful about the soda with all the air , and the carbanation. Good luck to you.

The carbonation is the main factor, but "they" say that the artificial sweeteners increase appetite as well. If you do crave the taste and want to avoid the carbonation, just put your diet coke in the blender and whirl away......it flattens the coke and is fast. I learned that trick when working with pediatric patients......flat coke and crackers was what one of the pediatricians ordered for upset tummies.

As was already said the carbonation expands the pouch and it is believed that that expansion could cause stretching. The gas can be painful for some as well.

Another point, I was a 6+ 16oz. bottle a day Diet Pepsi drinker and when I quit I noticed that I didn't crave food as much. There are currently studies that show that diet drinks may actually cause weight gain and cravings. Apparently the artificial sweetner and additives used in these drinks change your metabolic structure and your brain chemistry...makes me glad I kicked my Pepsi habit.

Thanks for all the responses, BTW I didn't have any for months and months after surgery, until recently. And only a little.... I had a huge addiction to diet soda pre-surgery, thanks for the info. I know I am not at my ideal fill so perhaps this is why it didn't seem to bother me?

The last thing I need to do is stretch my pouch EEEKKK!!! No more diet soda for me. The blenderized soda sounds sooooo appetizing :(.

The reasons you are to stay away from all carbonation in general is due to stretching. Over time if you blow up your stoma enough it will double and even triple in size defeating the purpose of the band. Also the artificial sweetner is a downer for your digestive system. You wont digest your food as well and it does cause cravings. I am supprised it is not considered a drug. Another reason is most carbonated drinks contain caffine and that will dehydrate you too fast and will cause problems with your digestive track and make you want to drink more. Remember. sip sip sip on Water, caffine free tea and crystal light.

I'm surprised you've been able to drink any. I tried a small amout of a coke after my first fill and doubled over in pain shortly after. It was like 10 times worse than the worst gas pain I've ever had. No more carbonation for me.

I gave up sodas entirely when I was still a teenager but was quite addicted to Red Bull when the surgery came around. It was easy though because I was absolutely petrified of what would happen should I drink one.

May I make a suggestion? Drink water! Lots and lots of Water. A huge part of the reason why people crave sodas is because they are thirsty and that has been their means of rehydration for a very long time. Drinking plenty (and I do mean PLENTY) of Water will curb the desire to reach for a soda because you simply won't be thirsty.

I was banded 13 months ago, and gave up my Diet Cherry Coke a month before surgery. I believe it helped in my begining weight loss. Since that time, I have tried to drink the soda and it makes me soooo uncomfortable. It is just not worth feeling bad for a day or two.This is about the only thing that I REALLY miss. NO MYTH....it does expand your pouch and causes terrible pain.

Lois

Whatever the actual reason, the band literature (ie, the owner's manual that comes from the band manufacturer) states that you should avoid carbonation. Good enough for me.

Another Australian here, my doc scoffs at the pouch stretching thing too, he just says its one of those things that is uncomfortable for some, not for others. But I agree, I'd tend to take note of what the band manufacturer says.

I can handle carbonation fine to a point - but I dont drink many carbonated drinks - less than one a month probably. I couldnt drink an entire can of coke. Diet soft drinks are complete poison for you, everyone would do well to give them up anyway. But less carbonated things like a spritzer - where you mix wine and soda Water, that amount of bubbles is OK for me.

But beer and champagne - those are healthy right?

Edited by Jachut

The reason is because it expands in the stomach because of the carbon dioxide. I used to be a big diet pepsi drinker and after 3 months really don't miss it at all. Good Luck!!

Right and because it expands the pouch, it could cause your lapband to slip. Its the slippage factor is why no carbonation. I stay away from it. I gave up two bottles of champagne on a cruise, told them I couldnt drink them. Not worth taking the chance.

I was totally addicted to diet caffeine free Mountain Dew but I have not had any soft drinks since July and I do not miss them at all.