Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recently I got my self a good case of food Poisoning while on vacation. Which brings up the question. How does your body handle food poisoning after the surgery? I know before the surgery when your body's defenses see the bacteria in the stomach & intestine you body tries to expel the bad food with vomiting and diarrhea. But with the band around your esophagus how does one vomit? Kinda gross but it makes you think. Does anyone know the answer to this?

I'm very interested in this answer also!

I read somewhere that you have to go in to get the saline completely removed from your band so you can vomit. I don't know how correct that info is. I have that on my list of questions for my surgeon this week.

I asked my surgeon this on my last visit since I figured I'd be getting the flu at some point. He said it usually isn't that big of a deal. Anit-emtics can be given if needed, but he said since there won't be that much in your stomach to begin with, you won't have that much to vomit up.

Guess it makes sense.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has experienced this.

I was told the same thing by my surgeon, but last night I vomited for 6 hours and more food than I could possibly have in my pouch came up. I lost 5.5 lbs. since yesterday from vomiting and diarrhea. Not the way I wanted to do it:eek:

I will be calling my surgeon tomorrow.

I have the stomach flu (apparently). One dd was vomiting Tuesday night, the next Thursday night. My nausea started this morning along with diarrhea. So far, I have not thrown up but continue to have diarrhea. I did just remember that I had some phenergan and took a dose.

My question is what to eat or drink? Normally, I would have sprite. I did try some yogurt earlier and I didn't throw up. I guess chicken broth could be good but the thought kind of grosses me out.

Maybe the phenergan will make me sleepy enough that I will sleep the night away and wake up feeling better tomorrow! (my dd's did--but they threw up several times)

I just wonder if having the band is keeping the symptoms "lower".

~~anne

Generally if I'm feeling unwell enough to vomit, I wouldnt be eating ANYTHING. I dont know how you could when you're feeling that sick. It just isnt an option to me - not that I've been unlucky enough to catch a gastro bug since being banded (touch wood, touch wood touch wood).

Most of the time if I pick up something my symptoms will be diarrhoea anyway, I've got a cast Iron gut. I dont know if the band keeps them lower or not, but to me, there's 2 varieties of tummy bug -diarrhoea ones and vomiting AND diarrhoea ones. However I appear to be able to catch them from people who are chucking up a lung and I only get the runs.

I've been to 2 or 3 info nights and usually the surgeon will say that vomiting is not usually a problem, you just do it, its awful (like it always was) and you get better. However real life stories from places like this board are more realistic I think - some people can chunder away like they always could, some dry heave for hours in misery with nothing coming up.

I have an anti emetic to hand just in case because whilst I'm not THAT afraid of my band slipping, I am THAT afraid of vomiting, lol. However the anticipation, the oh, no, I'm going to be sick, do I feel sick, what's that, am I going to throw up self talk that I do is horrid. However the medication I had, which I've taken twice since banding (becuase the kids were sick and I was having conniptions that I would GET sick) makes me feel so awful that I get even more anxious - it gives me the jitters, makes me have hot flushes and buzz all over, and its like a panic attack. I dont know why I'm so worried about vomiting, the event is never as bad as I think its going to be and I dont mind pbing at all.

Truth is, you cant know until it happens. Just hope you dont catch anything. I've never had food poisoning in my entire life and I went close to 20 years without catching any stomach bugs till I had kids that started at daycare and kinder (little grots!). And it seems to be passed now that they have grown up a bit.

Edited by Jachut