Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Southern California Pays for Lap Band

I'm 6 weeks into the 24week Options Program in So. Calif. Kaiser. Presently they aren't offering the lap band anymore until they can get some more surgeons contracted in the area. They prefer and recommend the RNY surgery over lapband, which I'm not interested in at all. I'll just crawl through the process in hopes that they have surgeons lined up by the time I get to the end.

I'm 10 pounds down so far with 17 more required by the time I get surgery. I'm curious how many people go thru the Options program and don't get the surgery because they've learned how to do it on their own. The waiting is maddening...Mexico is not that far away from me....hmmmm.

Edited by mb20mom
testing siggy

Who has a So Cal PCP that will give thema referral. My PCP says he will not refer anyone for bariatric surgery. So I ahve to find a new Dr!

Hi :thumbup:

Are you going Thur Kaiser Bell flower/Imperial? If so the name of my Doctor is Dr. Danielle Tiongson. She did the referral the same day. I had to change Doctors for another reason, but this work out as for as the Lap band referral goes. I will be going to the orientation on 06/08/09 I will keep all interested in Kaiser (southern) posted. I been reading the threads also and it seems as if norther Kaiser is ahead of the game.Very little on So. Kasier :(

Cynthia

Who has a So Cal PCP that will give thema referral. My PCP says he will not refer anyone for bariatric surgery. So I ahve to find a new Dr!

I don't know what city you're in, but my doctor is at the Corona Office and is Dr. Lewis Ha. He thought about my referral for all of 30 seconds and said ya, I'll refer you for the lapband. It was that easy.

I use the Baldwin Park facility - Dr. Dinwiddie. He referred me after running tests - lab, sleep apnea, etc... I just had my orientation meeting on Friday. There were about 20 people in my group and some there want the lap band. We were told only Kaiser So Bay does the lap band and there is currently a 6-8 month wait after referral. She also told us that they are removing the bands as quick as they are putting them on due to complications. Kaiser So Cal also uses UCLA Bariatric and Pacific Bariatric Center in San Diego - the surgery is performed in SD, but they come to Anaheim and Riverside for checkups/follow-ups, so you're not always driving to SD. This was just our orientation with 20 weeks to go (they double up the classes), so I'm sure I'll have more information. :thumbup:

I use the Baldwin Park facility - Dr. Dinwiddie. He referred me after running tests - lab, sleep apnea, etc... I just had my orientation meeting on Friday. There were about 20 people in my group and some there want the lap band. We were told only Kaiser So Bay does the lap band and there is currently a 6-8 month wait after referral. She also told us that they are removing the bands as quick as they are putting them on due to complications. Kaiser So Cal also uses UCLA Bariatric and Pacific Bariatric Center in San Diego - the surgery is performed in SD, but they come to Anaheim and Riverside for checkups/follow-ups, so you're not always driving to SD. This was just our orientation with 20 weeks to go (they double up the classes), so I'm sure I'll have more information. :thumbup:

I went through Baldwin Park as well. Well actually I attended classes in West Covina, but the same difference. I just finished the 24 week classes in June. I am also doing the Lap Band and WILL NOT consider the RNY, even though most of my class was doing that one. The only facility presently doing the Lap Band is South Bay (Torrance/Harbor City). UCLA does the RNY and Sleeve and Pacific Bariatrics only does the RNY. The wait time for Pacific Bariatrics is only 6 weeks. Ucla is 2-4 months and South Bay is 5-6 months. I know I am probably repeating what you wrote, but I have a cold and didn't finish reading.. lOL .. Good luck to all. I get to call South Bay in November for a consultation .. Here's to waiting .. Good luck all!!

Hi Trompuda,

Why did you decide not to do the RNY? I'm curious. In my classes, we are just starting to get into the differences, slowly... but you can tell they prefer the RNY. Going into this, I was definite about getting the lap, but then the 1st meeting I heard about the complications and that Kaiser is taking them out as quick as they are putting them in, that I decided to have an open mind throughout the process and see how I felt at the end.

what clb825 says is true.

They DO prefer RNY. Their Chief of Bariatric Surgery there is considered to be an expert in problems with the Lap Band, and he DOES recommend the RNY. He opened my eyes to a lot of problems with the Lap Band. He is very, very good at what he does.

I would at least, as clb825 has decided to do, keep an open mind and go through their educational classes before you make a decision. You will see a lot of people on THIS site have had their band removed and changed to an RNY or, more recently, the Sleeve.

Also, keep in mind that you need to choose the procedure that will work best for YOU. In some cases that IS the band, but you need to look at all the option are available.

HH

Hi Trompuda,

Why did you decide not to do the RNY? I'm curious. In my classes, we are just starting to get into the differences, slowly... but you can tell they prefer the RNY. Going into this, I was definite about getting the lap, but then the 1st meeting I heard about the complications and that Kaiser is taking them out as quick as they are putting them in, that I decided to have an open mind throughout the process and see how I felt at the end.

Hi CLB825,

The RNY is simply not for me. I am a single mother of 2 young children, and it simply would be to major of a surgery/recoup time. Also, I have family members who have had the band and can be a support system. None have had issues (thank god) and have lost HUGE amounts of weight. I am not ready for the risks assiciated with the RNY either. The band seems safer and more of a TOOL for me. Its slower weightloss. UPDATE: I have recieved a call from Kaiser Harbor city and got a consultation date for Sept 21. I am so excited as I though this would take much longer. I hope this is good luck as this is also my youngest daughters birthdate. My consultation is with Dr. Zane ( HEADHUNTER) knows him well. I just hope that I can convince him that the Band is what is right for me. The other procedure I would consider would be the sleeve. Still have to do some homework on that one though. Good luck to all. :thumbup:

i'm going to start classes on Sept. 14th at Kaiser Baldwin Park...i have been reading the posts and i'm kinda scared...so kaiser so cal does not do the lap band or do you have to go to outside contracted facilities?! I've heard a lot of people say they were pushed into gastric bypass...i just dont want to waste my time in going to the classes and end up not getting what i want. uggh! sorry i was really excited when they called me, now i'm feeling uneasy about it. Can someone help me feel better about it?

Hi Charlakat,

Kaiser does do the lap band, at Kaiser South Bay only. The classes are geared for getting you to change your lifestyle, but most talk is about Roux-en-y, but our moderator talks about lap band too. We are not and I haven't felt pushed into anything... she is constantly telling us to do the research and it will be our decision, although the surgeon may have input when we get to them. You won't be wasting your time with the classes, they are great and pretty indepth. I look forward to them, and I like having others in the group that have good questions and know that we're all there for the same reason. Just keep an open mind. WHen I got the call, I knew for sure I wanted lap band and know I really have an open mind and doing the research, that I'm on the fence about what I want, but I have time to consider. I hope this helps... Good luck.

Cher

Thanks Cher for the info. I hope that all is well. I will begin the options classes Oct. 6th. I was concerned about the posts that say that LapBand is no longer offered by Kaiser. I am excited about starting the classes. I would appreciate any tips or ideas that you would like to share :scared2:

So, is this how it works:

You go to 24 weeks of Options then get scheduled for surgery? So, five months of classes THEN another however many months waiting for surgery?

So, is this how it works:

You go to 24 weeks of Options then get scheduled for surgery? So, five months of classes THEN another however many months waiting for surgery?

Yep, that's it exactly. And during those 24 weeks you will be expected to lose 10% of your body weight to qualify for the referral to surgery (the Options program is now only 20 wks though). And you can't miss a single class without making it up. It sounds stupid, but it really does help you prepare. I can see the benefit of it now, but at the beginning I just wanted to get my surgery asap. I honestly think I wouldn't have been as successful if I'd had it back then. Now i know what to expect, and I've actually decided to have the Sleeve instead of the LAP-BAND®. If I had rushed in to it, I might have made a wrong decision.