Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHy didn't anyone tell me....????

Well..it's been 7 months since my surgery and I have lost NO POUNDS! Nothing, nada. I was banded on june 30th, 2008 in Buffalo, ny. Now, let me say this before I start, I do NOT excercise, or very little anyway. Go ahead and judge me if you want, but I lack energy all the time. I have trouble sleeping (not related to lapband) and am drained all the time.

Now that I have said that, I should still be losing. I am filled almost 6 cc's on a 10 cc band. I can barely get stuff down and PB all the time. I am eating 30% of what I used to eat..so why am I not losing SOMETHING?

Here is what NOBODY tells you before you have th surgery and I feel a little lied to. Haven't we all been told that we will eat normally but just "feel full faster"?? Well, that's what I was told over and over and over again. THAT's A LIE! You DON"T feel full...you feel like something is stuck in your chest and that's how you lose weight! You're supposed to walk away from the table with the "stuck" feeling and work through it for the next couple hours until you can eat again. My last visit for a fill, the NP actually told that to me. It all made sense b/c I either drink a tbsp of liquid to get it "unstuck" or it ends up coming up on it's own, and then I can eat. If I wait until I'm "full" i can eat way too much.

If I could go back and reverse this I would b/c that's not what I signed up for. That stuck feeling makes me feel anxious and like I can't breathe...

Anyone else understand this?

And please, no haters...thanks

Sorry you are having such a bad time. True I can't relate to what you are saying. You must have a serious talk with your doctor and nutritionist. We all are different but no matter how you cut it you must burn more calories than you eat. What are you eating? It is possible to

eat around the band?. Are you following all the rules? Could it be you are not eating slow enough or not chewing well to feel full? You should not be in pain every time you eat. I wish you a lot of luck. I for one can't say enough good things about my band and hope some day you will feel the same.

NOPBJ: I can TOTALLY understand what you are going through. I share your feelings. Prior to starting this lapband journey I dieted and lost weight - then lost more with the 6 month pre op diet and then the liquid pre & post diet. Total loss was 60 pounds but none of it was due to the band. I am about 183.

I was banded 4 months ago and have not lost any weight since then. I have had two fills - one in Nov. and one yesterday. I only have 3 cc's in a 10cc band. After my first fill, I got stuck twice but was always hungry, never felt satisfied and I'm sick and tired of people telling me it's head hunger. I know what feeling satisfied feels like and what being hungry feels like. I'm 58 and have had to deal with a lot in my life so I'm not receptive to hearing about head hunger. Did I eat more calories than I burned. Yes. But unlike so many posters, I did not eat junk food. If I was hungry I was just as satisfied with Cereal or whole wheat toast. But healthy food has calories, too. I have been exercising for the last 7 years. Walking and treadmill. But I SO agree with you that eating with the band - for me - is reaching a level of discomfort where I can't or don't want to eat anymore. It has nothing to do with satiety. I still feel hungry and not satisfied but know I can't eat more. So, this is the way I look at it. The band works not because it reduces hunger - it doesn't for me - but by making it impossible for you to eat more. To me, that is the worst of both worlds - still being hungry, not satisfied, but having something that causes stuck food, pbing and vomiting. Wiring your mouth shut would work in much the same way. Those who are happy with the band are those for whom the change in diet to healthy foods and eating smaller amounts has made a huge difference in their weight and health problems. They are so happy with the physical changes and the new thinner appearance that they are willing to put up with the side effects. To date, I have not had any benefit from the band. My 60 pound weight loss was all willpower and being hungry. And no, no one told me this either. I also thought it would curb hunger and I could eat pretty much the same foods but smaller amounts. Now there is a laundry list of forbidden foods. Yesterday my doctor said no beef, pork or chicken. What's left? Fish, I guess. Like you, it's not what I thought it would be. Good luck, anyway, to you. Know that you are not alone.

I was banded July 29, 2008, so 1 month after you, I have never experienced pbing but I have experienced over eating and feeling so much pressure in my chest and upper rib cage. On those occasions I know I screwed up, I could have waited to long to eat or just had too much. I understand you are very frustrated and want to blame the procedure. I think you are frustrated with yourself, I am in no way judging you. I have had my share of upset, guilt, sabotage. If you want to try to get on track just take it slowly. Try to excercise it really makes a HUGE difference. I have not been perfect since my surgery by any means. I wake up with the intention to follow my plan, but somedays I get sidetracked. I react to stress in my life that I am suppose to use new coping skills for (not always so easy, when life is being unkind) Just try to add some activities, the gym I hated so much at first now it is my sanity. I dont know you, but I do know if you make a few changes, measure your food, write it down (we eat alot without even realizing it, it is such habit) and excercise...You will SEE a difference, try for a week, act like you just has surgery and kind of start over. Dont waste precious moments being obese.. I have lost 53 pounds and feel sooooooo much better> I have 48 to go but my energy level is unreal. You complain about energy, you have to get moving to get some. Dont regret this operation or fool yourself that we can eat "normally" If any of us were capable of such a thing we would not been on this site right now. We are here because we have addictions to food. Good luck and maybe you should have an unfill, if you are truly so uncomfortable and NOT overeating.

I feel for you and you freighten me. I should be banned sometime in early March, and I dread facing what you are. So I don't have an answere for you just questions. Is it a mental thing for you at this point? I know most times if my heart/mind isn't into what I'm doing, I don't do it well. Maybe you just don't believe in the band enough. Evaluate how you are putting this tool to use. Maybe you are eating to fast and not chewing enough. I was told that would help from getting the heavy feeling in your chest. Also, a smaller plate helps with the portion controll and the picture of a full plate. I don't like to get up early and I don't like to exercise, I am often just plain tired! So I am now pushing myself to walk just a little to get me going. Have membership at the Y but seldom get there. The answere has been to do more housework, or at least move around more in the house. I know it is small but it does help. I just walk though the house every hour to just move. I spend a lot of time at the computer. The dietician told me to call and talk when I need to. The surgeons office is often to busy to take time and answere questions but she or her staff would be there should I need them. Also I read last night that one lady who wasn't loosing started to weigh and measure food more closely and found she was eating more than she thought. Look for the tips that others have made work. Don't give up on this, it can be done; at least that's what I think. Good Luck!!!

NOPBJ: I can TOTALLY understand what you are going through. I share your feelings. Prior to starting this lapband journey I dieted and lost weight - then lost more with the 6 month pre op diet and then the liquid pre & post diet. Total loss was 60 pounds but none of it was due to the band. I am about 183.

I was banded 4 months ago and have not lost any weight since then. I have had two fills - one in Nov. and one yesterday. I only have 3 cc's in a 10cc band. After my first fill, I got stuck twice but was always hungry, never felt satisfied and I'm sick and tired of people telling me it's head hunger. I know what feeling satisfied feels like and what being hungry feels like. I'm 58 and have had to deal with a lot in my life so I'm not receptive to hearing about head hunger. Did I eat more calories than I burned. Yes. But unlike so many posters, I did not eat junk food. If I was hungry I was just as satisfied with Cereal or whole wheat toast. But healthy food has calories, too. I have been exercising for the last 7 years. Walking and treadmill. But I SO agree with you that eating with the band - for me - is reaching a level of discomfort where I can't or don't want to eat anymore. It has nothing to do with satiety. I still feel hungry and not satisfied but know I can't eat more. So, this is the way I look at it. The band works not because it reduces hunger - it doesn't for me - but by making it impossible for you to eat more. To me, that is the worst of both worlds - still being hungry, not satisfied, but having something that causes stuck food, pbing and vomiting. Wiring your mouth shut would work in much the same way. Those who are happy with the band are those for whom the change in diet to healthy foods and eating smaller amounts has made a huge difference in their weight and health problems. They are so happy with the physical changes and the new thinner appearance that they are willing to put up with the side effects. To date, I have not had any benefit from the band. My 60 pound weight loss was all willpower and being hungry. And no, no one told me this either. I also thought it would curb hunger and I could eat pretty much the same foods but smaller amounts. Now there is a laundry list of forbidden foods. Yesterday my doctor said no beef, pork or chicken. What's left? Fish, I guess. Like you, it's not what I thought it would be. Good luck, anyway, to you. Know that you are not alone.

First, I think chicken is a staple for most of us. I was never told to avoid pork or beef and eat it occasionally. Next I want to stress that none of us should be having these "side affects." I have lost 76 lbs and was very lucky to have restriction with my first fill. I do make better food choices than ever before. Question, are you both getting enough Protein to make you fee satisfied? I notice that breads, cereals, and potatoes do not make me satisfied. Maybe it moves through too fast (?) Like my doctor told me I eat my Protein first, then veggies and fruit. I do not drink with my meal or for 40 minutes after. I hope this helps you.

thank you all for replying and being kind! It took me a long time to REMEMBER that I had to chew my food, so for the first while I would forget to chew and things would get stuck. I can't really get chicken down to well. That gets stuck almost always. But now I usually remember that I have to take my time and chew.

I am always in shock to hear someone say they have never pb'd. this is a common occurrance for me and don't understand how some don't ever have it happen? hmm

What do you mean by "eating around the band"? like cheating?

I am just so thrown by the NP saying that I SHOULD feel that stuck feeling. Do you all feel that as your "full" feeling?

Also, how much do you all drink if any with your meals?

NOBPJ

Everyone has told you from the beginning that this is a tool and you need to use it to HELP you. It won't do it for you. The fact that you are not exercising says a lot to me. You're gonna have to do your part. I'm not convinced you are.

I had a really really hard time learning to eat with the band as well. It sounds like you are eating WAY too fast and probably to big of bites. I used to get stuck on everything and I blamed how stupid the band was. In reality, it was my fault and after changing my eating style I don't get stuck nearly as often. I used to be addicted to food and the addiction would eat for me. Now, I'm not so addicted to food and it's a lot easier to not get stuck. I dunno if that makes sense.

I do not get full with the band. Either I’m in pain for eating too much, or I have to tell myself, “Okay, enough food”. I agree that we were mislead on this fact, but there’s no way, on God’s green earth, I would have be able to say “Okay, enough food” with out my band. So, I give that credit to the band.

You should make a food journal. You will see that you are eating more calories than you are burning. If you weren't, you would be losing. It's IMPOSSIBLE to eat less and stay the same weight. Here are some free sites that will help you keep track of your food. Sparkpeople.com, myfitnesspal.com, myfood guidepyramid.gov or something like that.

Next, get your ass moving!!! What the hell? You paid a shit load of money to get this surgery to what, get online and bitch to us? LoL You can hate me for that comment, but really, get with it. You must have been tired enough of being fat that you’d risk you life in surgery. Sweat a little bit and put some effort into changing your body. I was stuck for a LONG time when I had lost 60lbs. I got very bitter and mad at the band. I had to start running to get over my plateau. I easily run 3, 5, 7 miles a day and I’ve never been more proud of myself!! The more work you put into this process the prouder of yourself you’ll be.

I think you need to stop thinking that magically this band is gonna make you skinny. Maybe you did make the wrong choice of getting the band instead of gastric. Even that surgery you have to follow the rules or you’d gain the weight back. There is no simple answer. We are addicted to food or we wouldn’t have to make any of these choices.

I really hope you can get yourself to let your band work for you. You’ll LOVE it. It’s the most amazing ride I’ve ever been on. And when I say ride, I mean it. This band is a freaking rollercoaster ride, but the results of it are WAY cool.

Best of luck,

PS For those of you that don't agree with me and want to send me some angry comment..DON'T, just stop reading my posts. :cursing:

First, I think chicken is a staple for most of us. I was never told to avoid pork or beef and eat it occasionally. Next I want to stress that none of us should be having these "side affects." I have lost 76 lbs and was very lucky to have restriction with my first fill. I do make better food choices than ever before. Question, are you both getting enough Protein to make you fee satisfied? I notice that breads, cereals, and potatoes do not make me satisfied. Maybe it moves through too fast (?) Like my doctor told me I eat my Protein first, then veggies and fruit. I do not drink with my meal or for 40 minutes after. I hope this helps you.

I agree with you. I began eating Special K (1 cup with skim milk and splenda) after my hysterectomy gave me some swelling 5 weeks ago. Cereal is a slider food, but Special K is healthy, right? Well, it has stalled my weight loss completely. I am beginning to loosen up, so hopefully I can add my chicken and beef back into my eating.

It sounds like you , NoPBJ may be too tight. If you don't feel that is the case, you may also want to journal your food intake on fitday.com or dailyplate.com for the next couple of weeks. Measure your food out and log it online. You may be surprised to find out you are eating a lot more than you think and need a fill, or you may be eating way too little and your metabolism has slowed down. I try to keep my calories between 1200-1500, and until I added that dang Special K (which leaves me feeling hungry) I was consistantly losing about 10 lbs per month.

Also, I do get a stuck feeling, it happens when I eat too fast which leads to eating too much. I just had a 1/2 cup of tuna salad. I ate it a little fast and didn't need the last couple of bites. If I would've slowed down, I would've realized I was full before being stuck. I hate when it happens, but it reminds me to eat slower next time.

Please do not completely give up on your band without returning to your doctor. Document your foods for the next couple of weeks and how you feel after eating them. Together, the two of you may be able to decide on a fill or unfill, which ever is needed, to try to get you going again.

When I went to the bariatric seminar, one thing that stayed with me was a comment by the doctor who became my surgeon. He said exercise is key to the success of the band. If you were not mobile, they wouldn't even do surgery on you. Well, I was working out, sort of. I went to Curves a couple times a week, but then I would pick up a 12-15 inch pizza on the way home and eat the entire thing for dinner.

The band is a physical barrier to my doing that again (plus bread that gets chewy doesn't agree with me, so I rarely eat it now). I wanted to enjoy pizza, so I devised a crustless version that I make in a microwavable dish that is meal portion size (1/3 to 1/2 jar Ragu Homestyle, Hormel Turkey Pepperoni on top, cover with peppers and onions--I use Birdseye Pepper Stir Fry for that, and top with Kraft Free fat free Mozarella or Cheddar. Nuke for 2 minutes on high to warm ingredients and melt cheese). Believe it or not, that actually satisfies me when I crave some pizza.

With the physical barrier I have felt the discomfort you describe. As a food inhaler, I got fat by not paying attention to the food I ate, and eating until I was stuffed. I don't think I yet recognize satisfaction, but I do recognize that tight feeling, and I use that as my signal to stop. I may have still been hungry early on post surgery, but not now. I really wanted to get off most or all of the meds I was on, and I have done that. I am on one blood pressure pill and I have a pain pill for my knees, which I can't remember the last time I took. I feel that much better. I was on two BP meds, two cholesterol meds, one reflux med and CPAP for sleep apnea, plus the pain pill for knee arthritis. That was my motivation for doing this, and my recent blood work bore it out. My cholesterol is normal, and my liver enzymes that were still elevated on cholesterol meds has normalized. I don't eat the way I used to, that is true. I try to make healthy choices, and I exercise.

As for exercise I don't do anything fancy. I mostly just walk. There is a park near home that has a 2 mile nature trail. When daylight savings comes back I will be there almost every day, as I drive past the turn off on the way home from work. Right now it is dark after work so I do Curves and occasionally Water aerobics, and on weekends, holidays and days off I go to the park. I don't walk especially fast. I carry peanuts for the squirrels, who are always happy to see me. How long I am there depends on how many squirrels I see. I try to walk twice around as a minimum, and when I have time and nice weather I will do more. Prior to this journey I didn't walk at all, even resented the fact that the scanner at my office is at one end and I am at the other. I used to feel the inconvenience of walking up to put in my reports, walking back to my desk to start up the software, and walking back up to retrieve my papers after scanning. If a paper jammed it was an extra trip to reset everything. Now I look at it as an opportunity to get away from my desk and exercise a bit, and amazingly I don't mind it at all anymore. The activity hasn't changed, just my attitude about it.

I also go to group support (been doing that since the summer BEFORE my surgery) and I visit here to pick up tips and tricks other people use. If I have a question about diet or nutrition I can email the dietician anytime. My doctor is very proud of my success, and I am too. Like I said, I don't recognize satiety. I was used to inhaling my food. If I don't pay attention and eat mindlessly, that is when I get stuck and slime. I don't have a sweet tooth (makes the band more of a challenge--too many sweets will slide right past and actually make you gain weigt) so I rarely eat sweets (holidays mostly). If I want something sweet I will have a sugar free popsicle, or some yogurt. For Snacks I get them from kaysnaturals.com. They make high Protein chips and pretezels, and that keeps me out of potato chips (though once in a while I will have a beer pretzel or two--I am talking about twice since surgery). I do a lot of salads, which seem to go down without causing that tight feeling. I make chicken Caesar salad at home with chicken breasts, Romaine, a hard boiled egg, Parmesan cheese, light Caesar dresssing, and fat free croutons (the croutons crumble so they don't get chewy like bread).

This may have been more than you wanted to hear, but I hope somewhere in there I was able to give you some hope. You do need to change some things you are doing, or not doing. But it is not the end of the world. I have loose skin that I hope one day I can have plastic surgery on, but even if I can't, I would rather have loose skin at this weight than be fat again. My starting weight was 252, wearing 2X or women's 22's. Now I wear small to medium tops and pants, and misses size 12. I am broke from buying new clothes, but it is the happiest I have been being broke. This morning I weighed 148.

Good luck on your journey. Please don't give up on your band.

Edited by PATCHELTON

crzytchr

I can see why you would say these things, b/c I myself am annoyed by lazy people who make excuses...and there are PLENTY of them in the world. I don't expect you to take what I am saying as truth b/c you don't know me, but let me tell you this to maybe get you to understand...

I lost 125 lbs about 4 years ago as I prpepared for my wedding. I was a friggin gym rat. I would be there for hours pushing and pushing.... I don't think i ate right b/c really I was on a diet of cereal most of the time, but it all worked well enough for me to lose wight and get down to 175 lbs. On my 5'9" frame it looked pretty good. So...anyway, I know what it means to get off my ass and work, b/c I did it. Aftera few babies and this sleep thing, I knew that I'd never have the energy to devote 2-3 hours a day to the gym. So, i figured that the band would HELP me. I knew my exercise wouldn't change that much, but I fugured it must help a little.

What the band has done for me is to not allow me to gain, and for that I guess I am grateful, b'c I probably would've been. After the 125 lbs weight loss, I have gotten to know my body and even AFTER WLS I can't lose weight without it. We are not all cookie cutter people, what applies to one does not apply to all. This is MY story...

Edited by NoPBJ

I TOTALLY AGREE! My doctor told me that I would lose all my weight within 6 months. He said having this surgery is a lot like being on Phen Phen. Yeah right! Who was he kidding. I have not lost any weight and I am eating a third of what I use to. I am not eating around the band and I have 7.2cc in a 10cc band. If I would have known that there a many out there that never lose with this band I would not have had the surgery. I did better on Medifast, WW or even Phentermine which I can still by on line. I had the surgery since I was told you don't eat that much because your stomach is smaller. Yeah right. I am eating less and still not losing. THIS SUCKS! :cursing:

di1138: I agree with you about chicken. I buy a rotisserie chicken, remove the skin and chop up the chicken into small pieces. I cook it with fat free gravy (15 calories, no fat) and put it over mashed potatoes. I have never found - before or after banding - that Protein keeps my hunger at bay. Carbs do that for me - but everyone is different. In other words, if I ate a Breakfast of bacon and eggs I would get hungry soon but if I ate pancakes I would stay full for a long time. I will try chicken again soon - but I was just filled yesterday and am taking it easy with slider foods.

crzytchr

I can see why you would say these things, b/c I myself am annoyed by lazy people who make excuses...and there are PLENTY of them in the world. I don't expect you to take what I am saying as truth b/c you don't know me, but let me tell you this to maybe get you to understand...

I lost 125 lbs about 4 years ago as I prpepared for my wedding. I was a friggin gym rat. I would be there for hours pushing and pushing.... I don't think i ate right b/c really I was on a diet of cereal most of the time, but it all worked well enough for me to lose wight and get down to 175 lbs. On my 5'9" frame it looked pretty good. So...anyway, I know what it means to get off my ass and work, b/c I did it. Aftera few babies and this sleep thing, I knew that I'd never have the energy to devote 2-3 hours a day to the gym. So, i figured that the band would HELP me. I knew my exercise wouldn't change that much, but I fugured it must help a little.

What the band has done for me is to not allow me to gain, and for that I guess I am grateful, b'c I probably would've been. After the 125 lbs weight loss, I have gotten to know my body and even AFTER WLS I can't lose weight without it. We are not all cookie cutter people, what applies to one does not apply to all. This is MY story...

I understand about the gym, I have not been myself. I NEED to go. I am concerned that there is a possibility that you actually aren't eating enough or even that your band it too tight.

Oh, and with me, dangit I love cereal, but it doesn't satisfy me. I stay hungry when I eat it.

thank you all for replying and being kind! It took me a long time to REMEMBER that I had to chew my food, so for the first while I would forget to chew and things would get stuck. I can't really get chicken down to well. That gets stuck almost always. But now I usually remember that I have to take my time and chew.

I am always in shock to hear someone say they have never pb'd. this is a common occurrance for me and don't understand how some don't ever have it happen? hmm

What do you mean by "eating around the band"? like cheating?

I am just so thrown by the NP saying that I SHOULD feel that stuck feeling. Do you all feel that as your "full" feeling?

Also, how much do you all drink if any with your meals?

I was banded in July '08 and have pb'd only once and that was because I ate a big piece of lettuce without chewing it carefully. I only get the stuck feeling when I don't chew my food well or if I "gulp" liquid. I have 5 ccs in an 8 cc band.

Everyone's journey is a bit different and results vary. I think the key for me has been to be very conserative with the fills (1st fill = 3 ccs, 2nd fill = .5 cc, 3rd fill = .5 cc, 4th fill = .5 cc and 5th fill = .5 cc). While I am eating a lot less than I used to eat, I am also eating different kinds of foods and at times when I turn to comfort foods, the type of comfort foods I choose now are differnt (sometimes a lot higher in calories than prior banding even though the volume is signifcantly less). I do get the full feeling without feeling like I'm stuck but most times I just eat until I no longer feel hungry (satiety). Remember, satiety does not equal full. Also, if you're not sure, then you might want to follow the band guide:

Eat solids (focusing on proteins)

Chew thoroughly (20 times per bite)

STOP eating after 20 minutes even if you are still hungry

No drinking with meals

Wait 30 minutes after your meal before you drink

Be sure to get in 64-90 ounces of Water a day

If you follow the above rules religiously for a couple of weeks I think you will find that it becomes habit and maybe the scale will start moving again.