Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHy didn't anyone tell me....????

Gentlewind..........all I can say is Dang girl! You nailed it on the head for me.I too thought it was going to be easier even though my surgeon's office was very honest with me about preparing me for the hunger & me having to make it work for me instead of the band doing all the work.Food choices are crucial,your right.Once an addict always an addict.It's crazy.Feeling hunger & learning to deal with it is crazy.I know I need to jump on the exercise "band-wagon" too.But wow that was really so well put,exactly what you said.Thanks for the insight & bringing it back home!!:bored:

Edited by lacasst
quote didn't copy over

OHHHH my Gosh me too!!! I was banded Aug of 08 and lost 5 lbs big woop! I totaly feel your pain. Not to mention the price tag on this surgery. I hope its just a snag. I eat so much less no rice no Pasta no bread and no no weight loss !!!

This has been a really good thread. NOPBJ, I was banded on 10/23 and am trying to figure out if I'm at good restriction right now or am too tight.

In fact, just last night, I asked a friend who was banded 3 years ago (and lost the 95 lbs she wanted to lose) about what being full on the band is supposed to be like. For me, it is that uncomfortable feeling of having the food weigh on my pouch, and I've been getting stuck quite a bit. That said, the weight is coming off really well right now! But it's mainly because I'm eating less b/c it's just not that pleasant to eat!

I'm going to take the advice of other bandsters and try to slow down my eating and take smaller bites to see how that impacts my comfort level and "full" feeling.

Anyway, thanks for your post and for getting such an interesting discussion going!

Catherine

I mean this in the nicest way possible, I swear -- but it IS your fault. The band has worked for so many people, so if somebody out there is not losing, the first thing I ask myself is, "What are they doing wrong?"

How badly do you want this? I ask myself that every night I know I should be exercising and don't want to. Positive self-speak is very important. But I want to be thin more than I want to sit on the couch or eat that thing I shouldn't have. Only you can answer that question for yourself.

And I mean this the nicest way possible, but you really just got your band and things are still new. i initially lost 13 lbs too on the liquid diet...

and i don't think it's my fault, I think I wasn't told the whole story. Like I said before, this is MY story and not everyone has the same experience, not everyone's body reacts the same way. For instance, don't we all know at least one person who seems to be able to eat whatever they want and never gain weight? It's their body make-up and that's how their body responds.

You can reverse it.

no you can't....they will only reverse it (and insurance cover it) if there is a medical reason for it. yes, I could get a complete unfill, but I am hoping to get this working.

And I mean this the nicest way possible, but you really just got your band and things are still new. i initially lost 13 lbs too on the liquid diet...

and i don't think it's my fault, I think I wasn't told the whole story. Like I said before, this is MY story and not everyone has the same experience, not everyone's body reacts the same way. For instance, don't we all know at least one person who seems to be able to eat whatever they want and never gain weight? It's their body make-up and that's how their body responds.

I'm going based on what YOU posted -- the things you eat (and that was just what you admitted to) and the fact that you don't exercies.

It doesn't matter if I just got my band or not. The fact is, we STILL must make some modifications in order to work the band. Otherwise, aren't you just saying that you are not responsible at ALL for what you do (or don't do) and it's ALL on the band?

Yes, some people have high metabolisms and can eat whatever they want. We already know we do not fit in that category, otherwise we would not be fat. In those cases it IS about body make-up, bit for the rest of the real world, it's about calories in/calories out. If you eat pizza and bread and don't exercise, I'm sorry, but ain't a thing in the world will combat your not losing weight.

As it is, you have freaked out new not-yet-banded people -- not because there's anything wrong with the band, but because you are not doing your part.

You know this. I'm sorry to have made you defensive, but you know what I'm saying is right. You have not put in 100 percent. You probably haven't even put in 75 percent, or 50 percent. I'm sorry that you're struggling with this, but if you'd at least do what others have suggested, then maybe you won't feel so misinformed.

no you can't....they will only reverse it (and insurance cover it) if there is a medical reason for it. yes, I could get a complete unfill, but I am hoping to get this working.

Then quit complaining and get yourself working! "This" isn't going to work unless you do your part -- unless you want it to work! And I mean want it enough to put down the pizza and go for a walk.

A car can get you from point A to point B, but it won't do it without you maintaining the thing, putting in the right gas and other fluids, and turning the key. Do you look at your car and say, "Geez, I put out all this money for it to get me to work and all it does is sit there"??

Edited by BethFromVA

Then quit complaining and get yourself working! "This" isn't going to work unless you do your part -- unless you want it to work! And I mean want it enough to put down the pizza and go for a walk.

A car can get you from point A to point B, but it won't do it without you maintaining the thing, putting in the right gas and other fluids, and turning the key. Do you look at your car and say, "Geez, I put out all this money for it to get me to work and all it does is sit there"??

Very well stated, and I agree with you completely.:thumbup:

What a bunch of Crap! If I am going to be just as hungry as before, need to work out just as much, and have just as much self control as before to loose weight then I might as well just have given the doctor 12,000 dollars, let him kick me in the junk and been done with all of the mess in a matter of minutes. Instead I am stuck with something that makes me puke every day, gives me acid reflux, gave me scars all over my stomach, makes it harder to get down healthy food, and to top it off I have gained 25 pounds! I agree totally with Nopbj. I hate the feeling of being stuck. It is the worst thing ever, and I will do anything to get rid of it. I have had this band for 2 years. I am not a nubie. Don't believe the hype! This band is not worth it. And it isn't just me go read countless other people: I HATE THE F** LAP BAND!!! Sorry if this offends some people but it wasn't worth my time, money, or hope.

When my weight loss slowed down, i looked really hard at what i was eating compared to what was working and it was that i was eating too many carbs and not enough Protein. I know it can be so easy to get discouraged but if you keep looking at photos on this site, you can get re inspired. Also i know that lots of us think we're eating right but when you go to support group, you see the people who are doing well are eating the right things and not starting to snack or increase the size of what you eat. Did anyone see Oprah the other day with all the Obese kids and the health problems they already have? I was very happy that i already have my band to help me stay as healthy as i can.

Good luck, you can do it!

What a bunch of Crap! If I am going to be just as hungry as before, need to work out just as much, and have just as much self control as before to loose weight then I might as well just have given the doctor 12,000 dollars, let him kick me in the junk and been done with all of the mess in a matter of minutes. Instead I am stuck with something that makes me puke every day, gives me acid reflux, gave me scars all over my stomach, makes it harder to get down healthy food, and to top it off I have gained 25 pounds! I agree totally with Nopbj. I hate the feeling of being stuck. It is the worst thing ever, and I will do anything to get rid of it. I have had this band for 2 years. I am not a nubie. Don't believe the hype! This band is not worth it. And it isn't just me go read countless other people: I HATE THE F** LAP BAND!!! Sorry if this offends some people but it wasn't worth my time, money, or hope.

Don't blame the band for you gaining 25 pounds. :thumbup:

When my weight loss slowed down, i looked really hard at what i was eating compared to what was working and it was that i was eating too many carbs and not enough Protein. I know it can be so easy to get discouraged but if you keep looking at photos on this site, you can get re inspired. Also i know that lots of us think we're eating right but when you go to support group, you see the people who are doing well are eating the right things and not starting to snack or increase the size of what you eat. Did anyone see Oprah the other day with all the Obese kids and the health problems they already have? I was very happy that i already have my band to help me stay as healthy as i can.

Good luck, you can do it!

YES!!! Thank you!! A GREAT POST! THIS post is encouraging and genuine. Like I keep saying, I know that it PROBABLY is ME, but not in the way that the haters keep saying. FOR ME, I cannot take the stuck feeling. I get anxiety ridden and start to panic....and in MY OPINION, this is what they want. They want a level of UNCOMFORTABILITY so that you walk away from eating. Most people are ok with this, I am not.

SO i guess it is my fault in that way, HOWEVER, let me REITERATE AGAIN that this is not what most people are told. We were told that you'd eat just about everything but feel full faster. That's what I take issue with.

THANK you to all the encouragers! I have once again started tracking my food intake on thedailyplate.com and am hoping to be reinspired!

YES!!! Thank you!! A GREAT POST! THIS post is encouraging and genuine. Like I keep saying, I know that it PROBABLY is ME, but not in the way that the haters keep saying. FOR ME, I cannot take the stuck feeling. I get anxiety ridden and start to panic....and in MY OPINION, this is what they want. They want a level of UNCOMFORTABILITY so that you walk away from eating. Most people are ok with this, I am not.

SO i guess it is my fault in that way, HOWEVER, let me REITERATE AGAIN that this is not what most people are told. We were told that you'd eat just about everything but feel full faster. That's what I take issue with.

THANK you to all the encouragers! I have once again started tracking my food intake on thedailyplate.com and am hoping to be reinspired!

Nobody was hating on you -- just pointing out that, based on your own words, it sounds as if you are a very big reason why the band is not working for you.

I have a good friend who was pbing all over the place, and in a few short days lost six pounds. If you are pbing all the time as you say, then why no weight loss?

I'm just saying that I believe there is more going on than what you're saying, and to simply blame the band is not being fair -- to the band OR yourself. So long as you choose to deflect blame, you will stay stuck where you are. That is your choice. Makes no difference to me.

Nobody was hating on you -- just pointing out that, based on your own words, it sounds as if you are a very big reason why the band is not working for you.

I have a good friend who was pbing all over the place, and in a few short days lost six pounds. If you are pbing all the time as you say, then why no weight loss?

I'm just saying that I believe there is more going on than what you're saying, and to simply blame the band is not being fair -- to the band OR yourself. So long as you choose to deflect blame, you will stay stuck where you are. That is your choice. Makes no difference to me.

If it makes no difference to you, than please move on to another thread, b/c you are not speaking to me at all. To be truthful you sound like an overweight person who has lost a little weight and now has become the "resident expert".

That's not what I am looking for. And I don't think you are ACTUALLY reading my posts b/c you wouldn't be saying half the stuff you are. IF YOU READ my posts you would not keep saying what you are... so thanks, but no thanks.

Now I am sure you will reply with some more of your "knowledge" but I asked for support not what you think you know...