Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHy didn't anyone tell me....????

If it makes no difference to you, than please move on to another thread, b/c you are not speaking to me at all. To be truthful you sound like an overweight person who has lost a little weight and now has become the "resident expert".

That's not what I am looking for. And I don't think you are ACTUALLY reading my posts b/c you wouldn't be saying half the stuff you are. IF YOU READ my posts you would not keep saying what you are... so thanks, but no thanks.

Now I am sure you will reply with some more of your "knowledge" but I asked for support not what you think you know...

I did read what you said. You said:

Now, let me say this before I start, I do NOT excercise, or very little anyway.

And:

I can barely get stuff down and PB all the time. I am eating 30% of what I used to eat.

And:

It took me a long time to REMEMBER that I had to chew my food, so for the first while I would forget to chew and things would get stuck.

If you eat 30% of what you used to and pb all the time, how do you not lose, unless you are eating wrong foods? You got stuck at least partially because of you (though you may be filled too much).

I thought you were asking why the band wasn't working for you. I showed you why. I guess you just wanted your hand patted while we all rail against the band with you.

I am far from a resident expert, but I have 30 pounds lost in two months that you don't have after seven months, so... I thought you wanted to hear from those who were working the band correctly to learn something. Guess not.

I have a good friend who was pbing all over the place, and in a few short days lost six pounds. If you are pbing all the time as you say, then why no weight loss?

I TOO have have a friend who was "pbing all over the place" and initially lost 2 lbs from it. Then, because she hated being in pain and pbing she started eating slider foods and began to GAIN WEIGHT. So, no, pbing all over the place doesn't mean you are going to keep losing weight.

Luckily for me, I haven't had a problem getting stuck all the time. And, luckily for my friend that her she listened when I convinced her she was too tight, so she went to get an unfill. Now, she is back to normal, slowly getting fills and is doing better.

I TOO have have a friend who was "pbing all over the place" and initially lost 2 lbs from it. Then, because she hated being in pain and pbing she started eating slider foods and began to GAIN WEIGHT. So, no, pbing all over the place doesn't mean you are going to keep losing weight.

Luckily for me, I haven't had a problem getting stuck all the time. And, luckily for my friend that her she listened when I convinced her she was too tight, so she went to get an unfill. Now, she is back to normal, slowly getting fills and is doing better.

You just helped me make the point I was making. I suspect the OP is eating incorrectly, is too tight, and is staying stagnant. I hope she gets an unfill and gives it a real shot. The band WILL work if people listen to their bodies and put in at least a little effort.

And it isn't just me go read countless other people: I HATE THE F** LAP BAND!!! Sorry if this offends some people but it wasn't worth my time, money, or hope.

Hello Bob1212:

This is a very interesting web link. Thank you for sharing. I believe I am a better person for knowing both sides of a topic. I had no idea how many people have medical issues with the band.

I did some research on the band. I read JAMA articles and other medical journal articles, but they provide statistics. It is more meaningful for me, to talk to people who are doing great on the band and who are not, so that I can make an informed decision.

Medical technology is not perfect. Because we are all individuals with different DNA, some will tend to respond to a medical procedure better than someone else. I suppose the disclaimer that doctors might consider giving is "Proceed at your own risk, reaction and outcomes to this medical technology/procedure might not be typical."

Anyway, thanks for the link. I thought it was insightful.

Best regards.

And I mean this the nicest way possible, but you really just got your band and things are still new. i initially lost 13 lbs too on the liquid diet...

and i don't think it's my fault, I think I wasn't told the whole story. Like I said before, this is MY story and not everyone has the same experience, not everyone's body reacts the same way. For instance, don't we all know at least one person who seems to be able to eat whatever they want and never gain weight? It's their body make-up and that's how their body responds.

Listen Nopbj,

You are not alone in this as I well know. I started the "struggling bandster" section because I wasn't losing but gaining weight after banded. Everyone is different the band may work for some and not all. Not everyone has the happy bandster story to share and eventually are shooed away from here as a "band basher".

I also was not as well informed prior to banding and led to many of the issues I had. Sometimes it's even difficult to tell with all the information given if you'd be a good candidate for the band. Don't let people bully your into thinking "you're not doing it right" when it just might be that the band is not the right tool for you as it wasn't for me and many others like me.

You don't put someone on a crash diet for a month or so and then tell them they can eat and not expect them to want some food. You're body is made that way, you go into starvation mode you'll do almost anything to get those calories into you. But before you give up discuss things honestly with your doctor. My band did cause some issues with my esophagus/acid reflux and put me in the hospital with chest pains and after that incident mine was removed within two weeks and covered by my insurance. It's amazing how after being banded I developed more comorbs than I had prior to being banded.

Anyway your health is the first thing you should think of and emotionally this takes it toll on you too. So see your doctor and try to get the right kind of support for yourself. Good luck, Nancy.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, I swear -- but it IS your fault. The band has worked for so many people, so if somebody out there is not losing, the first thing I ask myself is, "What are they doing wrong?"

You couldn't be more wrong. Just because it is working for you does not give you any right to tell everyone that they are all doing it wrong because they are not losing. Who do you think you are? :thumbup: Obviously someone who thinks very highly of themselves. Dang.

The tv ad for the lapband shows a lion roaring and the woman saying "That was my hunger before always telling me to eat, eat, eat. Then I had the lapband" and then it shows her before and after pictures and a kitten. She says "that is my hunger now". Well, based on my experience and that of many on these posts that is not true about the band. It doesn't reduce hunger. I am hungry most of the time but can't eat due to discomfort and I have only recently had my second fill. Many others share my experience. They are losing weight because eating is uncomforable. Also - when people post a question - they want some suggestions or answers, not a lecture. Too many on these boards have a superior attitude and a know it all attitude. But what goes around comes around.

FOR ME, I cannot take the stuck feeling. I get anxiety ridden and start to panic....and in MY OPINION, this is what they want. They want a level of UNCOMFORTABILITY so that you walk away from eating. Most people are ok with this, I am not.

PLEASE...be more forceful with your NP and doctor. You are not supposed to feel stuck all the time like this. I felt this way for 2 days following my surgery and it gave me horrible panic attacks because I thought that I was choking. It finally went away. I may be new, but I know this is not an OK feeling to have. If they can't fix it, this WOULD be a medical issue and something that would cause them to remove the band. Have they done a test to make sure your band is placed correctly? This part of your whole story has me the most upset. No one should expect you to feel this way every day and every time that you eat!!!!! Remember...your doctors work for YOU!

You are losing nothing? Here is some simple math.... multiply your weight by 10 (women) or 11 (man). This is how many calories you are absorbing on average each day.

This math is a basic guidline and doesnt matter if you have a band or are on Jenny Craig!

What number did you come up with? Track your calories and see if the number is about right.

If you are eating way less calaries. then either you are not counting them correctly or you have a medical condition like a thyroid problem or whatever.

Weight loss is simple math. Less calories = Lose weight.. if you are not losing then you are still absorbing the same calaries. Eitherway that has nothing to do with the Band.

Well..it's been 7 months since my surgery and I have lost NO POUNDS! Nothing, nada. I was banded on june 30th, 2008 in Buffalo, ny. Now, let me say this before I start, I do NOT excercise, or very little anyway. Go ahead and judge me if you want, but I lack energy all the time. I have trouble sleeping (not related to lapband) and am drained all the time.

Now that I have said that, I should still be losing. I am filled almost 6 cc's on a 10 cc band. I can barely get stuff down and PB all the time. I am eating 30% of what I used to eat..so why am I not losing SOMETHING?

Here is what NOBODY tells you before you have th surgery and I feel a little lied to. Haven't we all been told that we will eat normally but just "feel full faster"?? Well, that's what I was told over and over and over again. THAT's A LIE! You DON"T feel full...you feel like something is stuck in your chest and that's how you lose weight! You're supposed to walk away from the table with the "stuck" feeling and work through it for the next couple hours until you can eat again. My last visit for a fill, the NP actually told that to me. It all made sense b/c I either drink a tbsp of liquid to get it "unstuck" or it ends up coming up on it's own, and then I can eat. If I wait until I'm "full" i can eat way too much.

If I could go back and reverse this I would b/c that's not what I signed up for. That stuck feeling makes me feel anxious and like I can't breathe...

Anyone else understand this?

And please, no haters...thanks

NoPBJ, the thing that comes to mind for me, is that if your Dr. and his staff, say these VERY wrong things to you---it makes me wonder about possibly a bad placement on your band.

Personally, I would do several things that have been mentioned...and just experiment, and try to figure it out. Journal every bite that goes into your mouth--figure the calories, and how many you burn through the day. Then begin in any way you can to burn more calories, and take less in, if the amount is higher than you expected.

I would also take SERIOUS effort with the food I take in to make the bites small, and chew well. And stop after 10-15 minutes regardless of how I felt right then, if I was still starving in an hour, have another couple of bites, but maybe, it would be enough, without causing the overeating that might be the cause of your pain.

If when you do that, you find the the intake and output should have you on a losing track, then I would look for another Dr. to do a study on your band----see if there is a physical reason for the pain.

My way of looking at my band was with this analogy.

If someone told me to go into the yard and dig a hole---with no tools, I could do it. I could scuff the dirt with my foot, and scoop it out with my bare hands, and make slow progress---until I hit a rock, or hard soil....then I would likely give up. Just as I could and did diet without my band, and did well for awhile, and then something happen (my rocks) and I would give up and back come the weight!

So then the person who told you to dig the hole gives you a tool....a shovel! You can dig that hole SO much easier! However if you just let the shovel lay there when it is handed to you, it is not going to do anything....it takes you USING the shovel to make it work.

It takes us working with the band as a tool to make it work.

I believe that if you begin with some sort of exercise, however small, it will benefit you, even if in worst case scenario there is an issue with your band. The exercise increased the oxygen you take in, which will give you more energy---and just help emotionally. Even if it is a simple walk around the block....or dancing to music in the privacy of your living room....it all counts!

I have had a couple of painful PB's in my almost 3 years. But I opted to keep my band fairly loose, and in fact have not had any fill since last April, due to a couple of surgeries. But it allowed me to eat healthy foods. I did my level best to keep most choices healthy, but did allow myself to eat like a normal person. I do not want to give up my life in an effort to be thin, I did not want to give up enjoying today for a tomorrow we are never promised.

A well adjusted band, and a good support staff CAN make it possible. Unfortunately it is very easy to cheat the band, and it is also not uncommon for the band just not to be a good fit for a persons eating issues.

Give it a fair shot.....Do your part. But if the pain persists, keep seeing your Dr. That will give you the documentation you will need if removal ends up being your answer.

I wish you luck in working out your issues, and will vote with the crowd to maybe have a slight unfill, and see if being able to eat healthy foods in reasonable amounts eases the pain.

Kat

What a bunch of Crap! If I am going to be just as hungry as before, need to work out just as much, and have just as much self control as before to loose weight then I might as well just have given the doctor 12,000 dollars, let him kick me in the junk and been done with all of the mess in a matter of minutes. Instead I am stuck with something that makes me puke every day, gives me acid reflux, gave me scars all over my stomach, makes it harder to get down healthy food, and to top it off I have gained 25 pounds! I agree totally with Nopbj. I hate the feeling of being stuck. It is the worst thing ever, and I will do anything to get rid of it. I have had this band for 2 years. I am not a nubie. Don't believe the hype! This band is not worth it. And it isn't just me go read countless other people: I HATE THE F** LAP BAND!!! Sorry if this offends some people but it wasn't worth my time, money, or hope.

I am very grateful not to be one of those people.

NoPBJ, the thing that comes to mind for me, is that if your Dr. and his staff, say these VERY wrong things to you---it makes me wonder about possibly a bad placement on your band.

Personally, I would do several things that have been mentioned...and just experiment, and try to figure it out. Journal every bite that goes into your mouth--figure the calories, and how many you burn through the day. Then begin in any way you can to burn more calories, and take less in, if the amount is higher than you expected.

I would also take SERIOUS effort with the food I take in to make the bites small, and chew well. And stop after 10-15 minutes regardless of how I felt right then, if I was still starving in an hour, have another couple of bites, but maybe, it would be enough, without causing the overeating that might be the cause of your pain.

If when you do that, you find the the intake and output should have you on a losing track, then I would look for another Dr. to do a study on your band----see if there is a physical reason for the pain.

My way of looking at my band was with this analogy.

If someone told me to go into the yard and dig a hole---with no tools, I could do it. I could scuff the dirt with my foot, and scoop it out with my bare hands, and make slow progress---until I hit a rock, or hard soil....then I would likely give up. Just as I could and did diet without my band, and did well for awhile, and then something happen (my rocks) and I would give up and back come the weight!

So then the person who told you to dig the hole gives you a tool....a shovel! You can dig that hole SO much easier! However if you just let the shovel lay there when it is handed to you, it is not going to do anything....it takes you USING the shovel to make it work.

It takes us working with the band as a tool to make it work.

I believe that if you begin with some sort of exercise, however small, it will benefit you, even if in worst case scenario there is an issue with your band. The exercise increased the oxygen you take in, which will give you more energy---and just help emotionally. Even if it is a simple walk around the block....or dancing to music in the privacy of your living room....it all counts!

I have had a couple of painful PB's in my almost 3 years. But I opted to keep my band fairly loose, and in fact have not had any fill since last April, due to a couple of surgeries. But it allowed me to eat healthy foods. I did my level best to keep most choices healthy, but did allow myself to eat like a normal person. I do not want to give up my life in an effort to be thin, I did not want to give up enjoying today for a tomorrow we are never promised.

A well adjusted band, and a good support staff CAN make it possible. Unfortunately it is very easy to cheat the band, and it is also not uncommon for the band just not to be a good fit for a persons eating issues.

Give it a fair shot.....Do your part. But if the pain persists, keep seeing your Dr. That will give you the documentation you will need if removal ends up being your answer.

I wish you luck in working out your issues, and will vote with the crowd to maybe have a slight unfill, and see if being able to eat healthy foods in reasonable amounts eases the pain.

Kat

EXCELLENT POST!! You all have encouraged me to not give up! I am tracking my food on daily plate and have not gone over my allotted calories for a couple of days. They told me that i should lose 3 pounds a week by doing this, so I am giving it a shot. If this works I will decrease my calories even more. I am also taking advice and thinking again about my chewing. I did schedule a dr. appt for 2-12 to discuss all of this..

before you go to your doctors visit--write down the questions you have, tell them exactly how you are feeling when you eat, tell them that you are not sleeping well therefore have very little energy.

Take the time now to think of the questions and don't let them rush you until you have these questions answered.

As someone else said--they work for you.

Just a personal opinion. And I only say this because your talking about reducing your calories even more if your not losing enough. I think 3lbs a week is too much. I think it is pretty well documented that long term the most a body can lose per week is 1-2lbs. Anything more then that and your body is likely to go into a starvation mode and start slowing your metabolism down to try and prevent the loss.

Now what will help and overcome the slowing metabolism is excercise. But it won't necessarily stop the slow down if you don't get enough calories either.

Emphasize the Protein that has low fat content and that will prevent your body from using muscle and causing your metabolism to slow.

You can do this, I'm sure of it. Your having trouble now, but with close evaluation and the right changes, it will happen.

Your doctor can tell you what your intake should be for your current condition, but if they are saying more per week is better, that isn't really true.