Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHy didn't anyone tell me....????

I <heart> Suzanne's doctor.

(we go to the same doctor - heehee)

Kiz, isn't he the best!?! I have to force myself not to hug the stuffing out of him every time I see him!

Maybe I'll see you there. You can see my pic in my avatar, but I have glasses now. My next appt is next Friday the 13th at 10:00 with Erin. I always wonder how many people in that waiting room have I talked to online. LOL

Suzanne, do you go to the hospital support group meetings? I'm going to the one next Monday. If you're going to be there, I'll look for you and come up and introduce myself. (You'll recognize me from my avatar picture too - haha)

I also wonder about how many people I've met that are also online.

I haven't read all the pages to this forum. I guess that my first thought is that you SHOULDN't be bping all the time. That means you are eating the wrong foods or eating it in the wrong way. The band is only a tool. I would ask if you are eating soft foods or your solid Protein first.

Another big problem is head hunger. There was one time that I thought I was hungery. I stopped and asked myself if I was really hungery (that is what I had to do the first 3 months) and the answer was a resounding and very loud YES!!!!

Then I stopped and tried to quiet all the thoughts, and work and family and stress going on im my head and just listen to my stomach. Guess what. I wasn't hungery. I could have sworn I was....but I wasn't so I didn't eat.

Are you keeping an on-line journal? www.sparkpeople.com keeps me accountable for what I put in my mouth. If I decide to have a cookie it goes in my log. EVERYTHING goes in there and I watch my calories, protein and carbs!!!! It has taken 3 months, but it has really become a habit, or lifestyle. I know some people hate that word. I believe that head hunger is the biggest hurdle with the band!

I got banded the same time as you and have lost 20 lbs which I am happy for but thought I would be down more than that - it didn't start coming off until recently. I was not told I could eat normally but I was told I would not be able to eat as much because stomach is so much smaller and that I would feel full faster - what I experience is not being able to eat much without throwing up sometimes so that I get hungry again in about an hour or two and feel like I could eat everything in sight - of course when I try to eat I can only eat a little. I think I expected too much and realize that with about 6 cc's in my band like you have it just takes a long time for your body to know you are serious about dieting - I think if you hang in there it should start coming off at a faster pace - I have a friend who got banded 3 years ago and lost 150 lbs but she told me that she didn't start losing any weight at all until after six months - I thought at the time that sounded crazy and she must have been drinking a lot of calories to get them down but I now see what she means - it is a slow process.

Another thing I am doing that I think is hurting my weight loss is because I get food stuck a lot and have to throw up then I will eat soft foods because they won't get stuck like mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese - I know these are bad but I can only eat a little of it anyway and at least it makes me less hungry and feel like I have gotten to eat something - right now my stomach is growling and I am starving - I had a Protein Shake for Breakfast like every morning and a small bowl of egg salad for lunch. That isn't much food but I knew I was going out for dinner and would eat a little more than I normally do at home so didn't want to overdo it. I know that the soft foods have more carbs but if that is what goes down easily then I think it is better eating that than starving.

PJD it sounds like you should consider getting a slight unfill. You should not be getting stuck and throwing up a lot - that is an indicator of being too tight. Turning to soft carbs like potatoes and mac and cheese because they go down easily is another indicator. From what I have read, that is one of the main reasons for people to not lose weight, and even to gain weight, with the band. At proper restriction you should be able to eat solid Proteins, vegetables and other healthy foods. Yes, you will have to take small bites, chew really well, and you may find foods here and there that just don't work for you, but you should be able to eat plenty of appropriate things and not feel like you are starving yourself.

Please, see your doctor about a possible unfill. It may take some back and forth before you are at proper restriction, but this is for the rest of your life. The time it takes to get it right is well worth it!

Another thing I am doing that I think is hurting my weight loss is because I get food stuck a lot and have to throw up then I will eat soft foods because they won't get stuck like mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese - I know these are bad but I can only eat a little of it anyway and at least it makes me less hungry and feel like I have gotten to eat something - right now my stomach is growling and I am starving - I had a Protein Shake for breakfast like every morning and a small bowl of egg salad for lunch. That isn't much food but I knew I was going out for dinner and would eat a little more than I normally do at home so didn't want to overdo it. I know that the soft foods have more carbs but if that is what goes down easily then I think it is better eating that than starving.

OK...it's been 9 days since you started this thread. Have you made an appointment with the doctor yet? I may not be an expert, but many people have suggested you need an unfill because you are too tight. Have you asked your doctor about that yet? You've been advised to see about getting testing done to rule out metabolic issues, etc. Have you done this yet? Were you merely venting on your first post or were you seeking advice that you could act upon? Please, call your doctor and demand some attention. You are paying THEM and they are there to help you. What you are experiencing should not be allowed to continue. Don't leave the office without answers and an unfill. Let us know what happens at the doctor when you go in.

I had my band done over 2 years ago and I have not lost any weight, I dont get a full feeling just the stuck feeling as well.

I thought I would'nt have to go on a diet just eat what I wanted but smaller serves, i GAIN 10 KG AND LOOSE 10KG all the time.

Just a personal opinion. And I only say this because your talking about reducing your calories even more if your not losing enough. I think 3lbs a week is too much. I think it is pretty well documented that long term the most a body can lose per week is 1-2lbs. Anything more then that and your body is likely to go into a starvation mode and start slowing your metabolism down to try and prevent the loss.

Now what will help and overcome the slowing metabolism is excercise. But it won't necessarily stop the slow down if you don't get enough calories either.

Emphasize the Protein that has low fat content and that will prevent your body from using muscle and causing your metabolism to slow.

You can do this, I'm sure of it. Your having trouble now, but with close evaluation and the right changes, it will happen.

Your doctor can tell you what your intake should be for your current condition, but if they are saying more per week is better, that isn't really true.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Prof. Paul O'Brien, who is one of the founders of the lapband, wrote a book that was given to me by the weightloss center I went through stated there is no set caloric intake that one needs to stick with. I've been taking in between 600 - 900 calories a day and with jogging 30 mins 3 days a week I've been averaging about 15lbs a month for the last 5 months. I do stick with high protein meals and haven't had any problems yet. His book has been an excellent source of info for my journey with weightloss.

Lap Band Solution Book, Obesity Problem Solutions - Weight Loss Benefits, Eating & Exercises Info

NoPBJ, I don't believe I saw where you answered the questions as to what you were eating.. This of course is the biggest part of the band. You have to stick with high protein, low fat foods just as if you were dieting. Another big one for me was slowing down. It now takes me 20 - 30 mins to finish a meal. I may not feel full, but I don't feel hungry either. Also, no drinking for at least 40 mins or so after eating.

Edited by oscarel

gosh this post really made me depressed. i am being banded in 2 weeks and now i wonder if i am making a mistake. i just can't imagine going through all this and not losing one pound.:thumbdown:

Why?? I'm not banded yet and this post is inspiring to me. It's filled with both sides of the story AND advice from tons of people who've made the band work for them. It's the perfect thread, IMO! Keep a positive attitude and you'll get out of it what you put in, as so many posters have mentioned! :rolleyes:

I can feel your frustration and I am feeling the same way lately. It seemed like the band worked great 2-3 weeks post op. I really did feel satisfied on a little food. Now I can eat as much as I always did but do get stuck....I'm almost grateful for that at least I know it's doing something! I've only had one fill....I still believe if I didn't get the band I would be gaining though. It does seem like a lot of money to spend for 15 lbs. weight loss:blushing:

I can feel your frustration and I am feeling the same way lately. It seemed like the band worked great 2-3 weeks post op. I really did feel satisfied on a little food. Now I can eat as much as I always did but do get stuck....I'm almost grateful for that at least I know it's doing something! I've only had one fill....I still believe if I didn't get the band I would be gaining though. It does seem like a lot of money to spend for 15 lbs. weight loss:blushing:

Sooverit, it takes time. I know you've gone through a LOT to get your band as I've seen your posts. It's taken me a fill a month since Sept. to get where I am. I normally lose the first 2 weeks and then nothing till the next fill. Hang in there and keep exercising! Isn't it better to say you've lost 15lbs instead of you gained 15lbs?

It'll get better. I got my band 11/21 and will be getting my third fill on 2/16. After my second fill I felt -- well, more satisfied than full, and for longer between meals. Now I'm almost back to a bit of willpower again.

If you're getting stuck, though, I would either pay attention to what you're eating or HOW you're eating it. Are the bites very small? Are you eating things that tend to get stuck like broccoli or asparagus? I find if I eat slightly overcooked pork, I get stuck a bit. And when I eat asparagus, I cut it up into bite-sized pieces.