Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unsure and Dissapointed

So Im not sure what to do now. Ihave been waiting for my new ins at work to kick in as i was told by the rep who came to my office that the new ins would cover the surgery so of course i went with the best plan that covers hosp stay etc just in case. now when ive finally done all the research and chosen a doc etc i find out that m ins does not cover any weight loss support at all. no surgery no counsling no dietician nada...so now what? im a single mom and have student loans out the wazoo and there is no way i can pay for this on my own. ive also tried every diet i can think of blah blah blah everything that anyone who decides to have this surgery does before surgery..so i guess im looking for some advice and am wondring what soluions others in my position have found...please help if you can im feeling very fustrated and heartbroken:frown:

Can you borrow the money from a parent? Perhaps get a night job and save it? Good luck. I used my credit card and haven't cared one bit. It was worth it. Fortunately, I was able to get it paid off fast. Have you thought of going to Mexico? There are many people here that have had great success there. Just be careful. Ask around here at this site. SS

well i am definatly not looking at going to mexico. Dr. Kirshenbaum is only an hour away from me and he is for sure cheaper than others. i wonder if anyone here has gotten a loan etc from the places like care credit or others like it and if they regretted it. i just feel like i am already drowning financially and feel held back in my career and personal life because of my weight. when you work in the recreation field being heavy isnt exacly Kosher if yall knnow what i mean. im at a point in my life where im afraid if i dont make a drastic lifestyle change now i never will and this is not how i want to spend my life.

This is the link that I got financing from (through beliteusa.com) ... info@efinancing-solutions.com

If you go through beliteusa, they do the paperwork for you! Here is the e-mail for a contact who can guide you through that process.. She is wonderful! Has had lap band and lost over 100 pounds herself and now works trying to help others with the process! terri@beliteweight.com

Good luck!

OMG that is terrible. My doctors office suggested that I used the surgical loan. Fortunately open enrollement came around and I switched insurances last November. I had been getting declined since last April. I am waiting on authorization right now. I have talked to several people on here that have used Dr. Kuri in Mexico. For $7500 you get the surgery and several nights stay in a fabulous hotel in Mexico. One woman whom I still talk to swears by it and she said you just make a phone call and go down there and do it. She said even if she had insurance she would not use it becuase of all the hoops we have to jump through and the waiting.

But to each her own. Good luck and I am so sorry that totally sucks.

So Im not sure what to do now. Ihave been waiting for my new ins at work to kick in as i was told by the rep who came to my office that the new ins would cover the surgery so of course i went with the best plan that covers hosp stay etc just in case. now when ive finally done all the research and chosen a doc etc i find out that m ins does not cover any weight loss support at all. no surgery no counsling no dietician nada...so now what? im a single mom and have student loans out the wazoo and there is no way i can pay for this on my own. ive also tried every diet i can think of blah blah blah everything that anyone who decides to have this surgery does before surgery..so i guess im looking for some advice and am wondring what soluions others in my position have found...please help if you can im feeling very fustrated and heartbroken:frown:

I have learned that people make mistakes and give wrong information. Ask the insurance company to send you in writing the exclusion clause that states they do not treat morbid obesity and WLS.

As far as utilizing a loan, I used Capital Ones Care program and took out a $5K loan for my Lasik Eye Surgery in 2007. I do not regret that and I love being able to see.

If I had no insurance to cover WLS, I would look out all my options to having the procedure done, including going to Mexico.

I am sorry this is happening to you. I hope you are able to find the resources to have the procedure.

Definitley evaluate your options and check further into insurance. A wls exclusion clause is fairly black and white and it should be no problem if they send it to you.

Alternative financing is also a possibility. Being a student - you might have additional access to funds that you wouldn't normally have as well. People have suggested Mexico as well - many of us have done really well with this option as an affordable means to get it done. Don't give up just yet.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Although I am not a single mother I am the only income while my husband in in College. I was also supposed to get medical insurance in May through work but that fell through. I am torn between doing this for me, which is a terribly hard thing to do as a mother anyway, or just not do it b/c who am I to finance 7-9 grand for something like this. I can tell you that I was shocked to learn that I was approved through care credit for $9000- their rates appear to be low around 11%, another finance company wanted something like 18%. If you are still a full-time student maybe pull out one more loan for say, half? save or finance the rest? Being a student you do have a lot of options but I know it's hard to take when you fully know you'll be paying it back for 10 years+. I can also tell you having student loans even while still in college ups your credit score, even if it's still being deferred. You might be surprised on what financing options you may have? Care credit's site says an estimated payment for $9000 is $200 a mo. for 60 months. Thats all I can offer for advise, why I haven't taken the plunge myself, I don't know but, hopefully this is help you. You are not the only one!!

I can also tell you having student loans even while still in college ups your credit score, even if it's still being deferred.

O/T, but are you saying that student loans raise your credit score (which is a positive thing)? I'm puzzled because, as far as I can see, my student loans have never had any impact on my credit score (I've run my credit once or twice a year for the last seven years, and student loans don't appear to factor into the score at all, based on the credit analyses that I've received with the reports).

Thanks.

well i am definatly not looking at going to Mexico. Dr. Kirshenbaum is only an hour away from me and he is for sure cheaper than others.

You say it's not worth it to go to Mexico to save money, but then complain about feeling like you are drowning in debt. BTW Im in Dallas and there are several good surgeons here for under $10K as well, but I went to Mexico for $6,500 because it was all inclusive. I knew I wouldnt be paying to tests etc. I have paid another $200 for each of 3 fills so far.

If you have made up your mind you only want that one doctor, start saving up your $$$ until you feel more comfortable with paying out the money and have a decent job. In the meantime you can diet. All the lapband does is help you resist food somewhat, you will still be having to use a lot of will power. I am pretty darn tired of walking every day too, and the lapband doesnt help with that. You could walk like I do (Im doing about 3.5 miles a day). If you cant start and pick something you can do now, then you probably arent ready anyway for the lapband because it still takes a lot of work.

1!I was not considering going to Mexico because there is a dr by the name of Dr. Krschenbaum that does the suregery for less than 10k and he is less than an hour from my house so it would seem unreasonable to travel to mexico vs an hour to have surgery. i am trying o diet and walk dailey as well as use my eliptical machine. i also have been calori counting as well as weighing food etc. is not about not making the commitment but about having success long term.

thank you to those who have been supportive and have given me suggesions for options to finance!

I thought I explained that I live within an hour of good lapband doctors too, that charge less than $10K, but I decided to save about $3,000 because I knew the $3K was a lot of savings.

I did read where you live and have heard of the doctor you mentioned. Im sorry you are offended. I was just trying to suggest if money is that important, there are good doctors in Mexico as well. I was trying to save you $$$$.

I was faced with exactly the same decision you were, so I got it. I would have preferred not to fly across the border either. I certainly did not mean my suggestion in the way you seem to have taken it.

I'v also been thru the surgery, so I know my own surgery did not help near as much as I hoped. You pin your hopes on this surgery being a lot more help than it might really be. I would do it again, but I am saying it sure isnt as much help as I hoped it would be. You are obviously young. You have time to get ready for it when you are financially able. If the doctor means that much to you, by all means do the doctor near you.

Good luck whatever you choose to do. We all know the decision ain't easy. Keep pushing with insurance too.

i absolutely encourage you to go to Tiajuana Mexico! it is like a RESORT HOTEL! they are soooo good to you.. you won't want to leave! i had a wonderful experience there.. and I don't speak a word of Spanish.. and I TRAVELED ALONE! Stayed 2 nights in the hosptial and flew back to Tennesee on the 3rd day.. they are wonderful there.. The place is emaculate and the staff treats you like royalty! I would do it again in a heartbeat! Not to mention the fact that the docs down there (Lopez) are the ones TEACHING the procedure in the United States! Not making this up! Check it out!

But, as everyone else is telling you.. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you trust whomever is doing your surgery.. and had I had the choice of flying to Mexico or having it done close to home for a little bit more, I would have stayed close to home too.. Either way, you get the same results..... the band............. and it WORKS.. but it is NOT A QUICK FIX.. it is HARD WORK! but I would do it again in a heartbeat! Good luck and don't give up on yourself!

Edited by luckyfive101
more to say

I know just how you feel. After being told that I would be covered for surgery if I completed all the pre-surgery consultations and tests (Upper GI, Ultrasound, nutritionist, sleep test, Cardiologist exam, lab work, a psych evaluation and a stress test), I jumped right on it. Once all my tests were done and the paperwork was finally in, I waited three weeks to get word from my insurance company (even calling daily) and was devasted to learn I had been denied. The reason? While my insurance company covers lapband, my husband's company's policy prohibits all weight loss surgery. It really was a crushing blow!

After a long talk with my husband, we both decided it was in my best interest and that of our children if I had the surgery so we dipped into our savings to pay for it. Still, I feel like I lost three months. Instead of having surgery 3 weeks ago, I could have had it in October. Oh well, at least I am on the right track...27 pounds lighter. Hang in there. I wish I had more encouraging words.

thanks everyone. i really needed just a little support. ive been yo-yo'd all around by my ins and im not sure if its because of the ins or my company. either way id like to put them in a time out for being naughty. it seems so sad to me that they are so desperate to save a buck vs help make ppl healthier in the long run. not to mention change ppls lives forever i wonder sometimes if they think this is an easy way out for ppl with weight problems and that it snt work. it is tho and those of you who are banded and those of you looking into it i give you mad props for having the courage to make a lifetime commitment to a healthier you!!!! thanks guys! and gals!