Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you stay overnight?

I'm getting closer to surgey (March/April) and I'm wondering more about the actual procedure itself. How many of you had to spend the night? How long were you sore? Was driving a problem at all? Were there any restrictions aside from diet???

Thank you!!!

Here is my experience:

• had surgery at 11:30 am home by 4:30 pm; no complications, no overnight stay
  • I was sore for about 10 days
  • I didn't drive for a week, I probably could have after 48 hrs (let anesthesia get out of your system), but I didn't
  • restriction on kinds of exercise and no lifting until after 6 weeks

Good luck with your surgery. I have not regretted a minute of it!

I went in early in the morning - really can't remember what time. Yes, I spent the night - to be honest I am so glad they require that as I did have some issues in the middle of the night around midnight and I needed help. I personally feel very comfortable with hospitals and never mind having to stay when I have had to.

I didn't drive for a couple of weeks.

I was sore for a couple of weeks.

Restrictions for me were lifting - that was about it.

Good luck to you !

The only reason why I had to stay at the hospital over night was because my Health Ins. requires it. The doctors say that most people are able to leave the same day.

Pretty similar to crzytcher.

I had surgery at 12:30pm, left the hospital at 7pm, and was home by about 8:30pm. I had surgery on a Wednesday, and I didn't drive for about a week, though I think I could have by Saturday or Sunday. I was sore for about two weeks, though more so at the beginning. I'm pretty good now, except for an occasional pulling feeling or slight pain at the port site. No big restrictions, just lifting and no major exercise.

I was banded 1/21 and had to stay due to ins. my surgeon also will usally send you home same day however i was expriencing terrible shoulder pain that night so i got good pain meds dont think the one he gave me would have done that same job! I was banded on wed. and told to not drive till Mon. i am still REALLY sore at port site and having some issues with bending and moving normally(forgetting i just had surgery) I am also not allowed to lift for 3-6 weeks . Good luck

I had to spend the night and didn't find out about it until right before I went into surgery! I have sleep Apnea and that was the reason he gave me. He didn't tell me this at my pre-op so be sure you discuss this at your appts. The only pain I had was a level 4 in recovery and got a shot of morphine and that was all I needed, NO MORE PAIN, not even over night!! I was banded on the Janurary 16th and driving on the 20th. Doing great have lost 14lbs. so far. Started on mushies and am okay with that. Just be sure you chew, even JELLO!!!!!

I had to stay over night and it was MISERABLE. If you have any choice, don't stay overnight. I got zero sleep; it was just so bad. AFter I went home the next morning, I wasn't in much pain (I call the Lap Band a "nothing surgery" because there is so little pain and the revocery time is so short).

I wouldn't reccomend driving, though, because it wouldn't be safe. If you forget everything else, don't forget a pillow to put between you and the seatbelt. I forgot mine and it was painful (but I would NEVER not wear my seatbelt)...

so, there it is...

I'm getting closer to surgey (March/April) and I'm wondering more about the actual procedure itself. How many of you had to spend the night? How long were you sore? Was driving a problem at all? Were there any restrictions aside from diet???

Thank you!!!

I recovered quickly and was home the same day, but that was after I asked my surgeon to let me go. He keeps most patients overnight "just in case". He did require I have an upper GI done to make sure I could swallow and that it was going where it was supposed to.

I wasn't sore for long at all. I only took my prescription drugs on day 2. I slept on my side the 1st night, on my stomach from night 2 on...no chairs or couches for me. I drove on day 4 (surgery on friday, had class on tues. afternoon...am a student) Restrictions were no lifting anything over 15 pounds for 2 weeks, and then the normal "band rules"...the post op diet, no carbonated beverages, etc.

I have honestly had dental surgery that made me feel worse for a longer period.

I had surgery at 8 am, was being driven home at 12:30 pm the same day. I didn't drive for about 1 1/2 weeks as I was still taking Lortab. I was home from work for two weeks as I was way too sore to sit at a desk all day.

1. Yes, I stayed 2.5 days in the hospital, because of complications.

2. I was sore for about 10 days.

3. I was not released to drive, until day 7-post op and it was not a problem.

4. Other restrictions no lifting over 10-pounds.

I stayed overnight and was glad I did.

I was one of those who had considerable pain after the surgery. We do exist.

I was free to drive after I was off the narcotic pain relief.

At the clinic by 11, surgery by 12, discharged home 3ish.

No driving for 48 hours.

Had the surgery on a Friday, back to my office job on Monday.

Was walking home (30 min walk) from work by the Tuesday (day 4)

No heavy lifting (10 pounds) for a month.

I went in early in the morning - really can't remember what time. Yes, I spent the night - to be honest I am so glad they require that as I did have some issues in the middle of the night...

This is the part I'm afraid of, being sent home and having an issue in the middle of the night, I would rather stay (not to mention you can't rest in my house, lol - my kids will leave me alone, but they won't leave each other alone!).

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! It's amazing how different everyone's experience is. I think I'll ask him to let me stay over if possible, just to have a night without kids screaming and chasing each other around the house, lol. Did any of you have problems going up and down the stairs at all???