Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pb'ing and Fill Level Question

I was filled to 7cc's last month. Since then I've had a PB incident about every 4 days or so. The first two weeks were largely due to me trying to eat bread (and not quite learning that wasn't going to work the first three times.) Since then, I've had about an incident every 4 days or so -- once when I defn. took too big of a bite, once when I ate a lil' fast/wasn't paying attention and then a few other random times which I totally chalked up to my own behavior/learning curve.

Over the weekend, I had three days of constant incidents. A fish stick came up. (These are usually my slider food). Sashimi hurt going down. A steamed gyoza (also a slider for me) came up. I got worried about the pb'ing causing slippage so I went to my doc and asked for a slight unfill -- we went down to 6.8ccs. My doc mentioned the average fill was 7.5cc-8.8cc and she was surprised I was having an issue with the 7cc fill.

My question is this: should I have had an unfill? Should I have attributed my problem to my own behavior and not being "too tight"? I've been losing slowly(but consistently) at about 6lbs. a month. I'm never restricted the way I was after surgery, but I'm also not going to bed hungry. I can eat more than a cup of food at a time but I often just stop at a cup.

I got over the whole no bread thing and don't even really miss it that much. I am active (doing 1.5 hour Vinyasa Yoga class 3-4 days a week) but not a slave to the gym.

Will I ever be able to go up to 7.5ccs or more? Is this more of a "getting used to learning new behavior" thing that will come with time or should I have picked up these skills already?

Everybody's fill level is different. Do not set a goal of how much fill you should have. Only you have that body and know where you should be.

As for pb'ing so often, you probably did need a slight unfill if even your slider foods are getting stuck. I do think you need to slow way down though on eating. If I take too big of bite of one of my slider foods and don't chew well enough, it is quite uncomfortable for a few moments.

Don't beat yourself up over not learning how to change your behavior yet. We have all been eating quickly and taking too big of bites for probably over 20 years. It will take us more than a week to modify that eating style. You must make a conscious effort though to slow it down. Take a bite and physically lay the fork or spoon down on the plate and move your hands off the table. Sometimes I have to even scoot back a bit to stop my desire to shove it all in.

Good luck to you!

It is a learning curve and everybody will react differently to their level of fill. I have been thinking about getting an unfill next week if things aren't going better.

I have been having slime incidents very frequently the last couple of weeks. I know a couple were due to eating too fast.

I agree with Accountess, the eating habits we have are very ingrained and it will take time to undo the old habits and get consistent with the new habits. Don't stress, you will figure out what works for your body, I think that is the key - what works for you! As long as you are still losing weight, able to control your intake, and exercising, you are on the right track!

There are a couple of things that stood out to me... First of all your rate of weight loss is good so I wouldn't fret too much.

But remember, what was a slider food at one fill level will not necessarily still be a slider food after a fill. A breaded fish stick should not be a slider food....:tongue2:

Most people at sufficient restriction cannot eat bread - period. I myself would not even consider trying at the fill level I'm at. Now, I have had a few fish sticks (mind you it's not the best food choice being breaded and processed) but I have to cut them into very small pieces and chew, chew, chew before swallowing.

I would probably have tried to alter my eating habits first before considering an unfill. After all, as you continue to lose weight, the band will naturally loosen anyway - which is why we need to continue getting fills. I would only consider an unfill if I'm doing EVERYTHING right and still PB'ing or vomiting frequently.

Good luck.

Brad

i had my third fill yesterday but hadn't had one since Aug. I was able to eat bread, bagel, basically anything that I wanted. I would pb about once a week more due to my eating habits than the fill level. I should have gotten the fill sooner but with the holiday season I thought I would wait and when I had my last fill I couldn't get anything down for a day. this time it is even worse. I can barely get down a sip of Water. How do I know when I should go and get some of the till taken out. The second fill was .4 and this one was .6

Kiki220~ I find that I am usually somewhat tight when I first get a fill. It takes a couple of days before I feel back to normal again.

If you can't get Water or liquids down at all, I would call the dr and find out if they want you right back in or to give it a couple of days.

My doc said that the main cause of people's problems with their bands (ie. getting slippages) is eating TOO QUICKLY!! This is I think the hardest thing for most people to correct...I still struggle with whether I am eating slow enough and when I think I am eating slow enough I may soon realise too late that I wasn't and get pain.

I think that provided you are steadily losing and you feel comfortable enough then you are at your optimal level and you know how much you can stand and what feels normal or ok to your body. if you think you need an unfill then try it! You can always put more back in if it doesn't work out!

After my last fill, I was PBing every few days. I got it done then took off to Singapore and the whole time I was there, everything was making me stuck. As soon as I arrived back in Australia, I called my Dr to organise an unfill.

He called me later that day and suggested that I give it a week before getting unfilled. He reminded me to chew lots, eat slowly, and to be mindful of my 'satisfied' signals. It seemed silly to me at the time, but you know what? He was right. I have been concentrating hard on doing those things - particularly making usre that I focus on eating when I'm eating instead of getting distracted by other things - and haven't PBed since I spoke to him. In fact I'm eating pretty well, and I haven't even had any real discomfort.

Looking back, I realise that it probably didn't help that over Christmas and New year I was eating foods I'd normally not eat on a daily basis. I also know that whenever I got 'stuck' and PBed, my stomache would be particularly sensitive for days after, where even a small bite of a slider food was get stuck and set me off. Which seemed, in my mind, to cascade into a whole series of stuck episodes where I felt like I was waaay too tight.

What I actually needed was not an unfill, but to sit back and take stock. After talking to my Dr, I went on soft foods for a few days, where I had frequent, very small meals. Then when I went to harder foods, I made sure I chew well and eat slowly, and stop when I'm satisfied.

In the 2 weeks where I was PBing all the time, I gained 700grams. Since I spoke to my Dr about 7 days ago, I've lost all that I gained plus another kilo.

Either way, you've had an unfill already. But maybe when things settle, you should get some put back in? Between now and then, maybe concentrate on chewing lots and eating slowly so that when you do get more put in, you'll cope with it a little better.

For the record, after thinking I was too tight, I'm actually thinking of getting a small fill at my next appt on the 6th Feb. :lol:

Edited by lellow

:)

I like all the suggestions regarding not getting an unfill.

I called today knowing the office was closed and that Monday is MLK day so they won't be open and I am hoping that by Tuesday I will feel better and not want to go in afterall...we'll see.

I have not eaten much since Wednesdays fill and I never ask how much he fills and I do need to find out, but I just don't want to get dehydrated....although I have lost weight so maybe this is exactly what I am supposed to be feeling?!

Finally!

CHER

If PBing means it comes back up then that is not my issue but I have noticed that since my last fill to 6.5cc i burp alot!!!!! I think I still eat to fast.

If PBing means it comes back up then that is not my issue but I have noticed that since my last fill to 6.5cc i burp alot!!!!! I think I still eat to fast.

As food passes through the band I get a series of successive burps. I just have to be conscious of where I'm at when this occurs. :)

My wife gives me dirty looks but I just laugh and say, "hey! it's a medical condition!"

Brad

Hi all, I too have the burping thingy. I know when I start burping Im full and need to stop right away. I have had a few pb'ing incidents also, usually when I had some sort of bread or this morning tried to eat a fried egg and couldn't get them down with a piece of wheat toast. I've had 3 fills so far, total 6.5. I'm due another fill in a few days. I have restriction, but I want to get another fill just to be sure the restriction stays with me. I still try to control how much I eat, because at times I feel like I could eat more than I should. I'm really glad I was able to get this surgery, no regrets. It's nice now that people are noticing my wieght loss. Have a great day everyone! :thumbdown:

I also just got a fill on 1/16 that put me at 7cc and at first I thought I was too full. The first week I was PBing daily and had a couple of incidents with vomiting. But I've taken the time to slow down and I'm not having the problems I did at first. Also chicken and milk seem to give me problems, but fish and beef don't.

I had a fill on 1/19/09 and was on liquids till 1/23 (and was able to take all my pills whole) then i tried chips and salsa, and Beans dip and that all went down fine. Since then i have had everything get stuck except for liquids. I usually PBing if still stuck by 1 hour. I have gone back to liquids and have tried a pill smaller than a #2 pencil earser this morning and it still got stuck....now i hurt. What should i do?? Unfill?