Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post your attainable new year goals!!!

As we go into a New Year (2009), it's nice to reflect on our past year for what goals we accomplished and those we didn't accomplish and set new goals for the New Year. Now the goal is to set "attainable" goals, both short term and long term.

• Short-term goals are ones that you will achieve in the near future (e.g., in a day, within a week, or possibly within a few months).
  • Long-term goals are ones that you will achieve over a longer period of time (e.g., one semester, one year, five years, or twenty years).
  • Long-term goals often are our most meaningful and important goals. One problem, however, is that the achievement of these goals is usually far in the future. As a result, we often have trouble staying focused and maintaining a positive attitude toward reaching these goals. This is why it is helpful to set up what we call enabling goals.
    • An enabling goal is a special type of shorter-term goal. It is written to help us achieve a long-term goal. Enabling goals are like stepping stones that help us measure our progress toward reaching longer-term goals.

I had LB surgery in September and to date have lost 38 lbs. but did it quite haphazordly. Had I set goals for myself, I might weigh less. Setting goals is important which is why I started this thread. My goal for 2009 is to increase my exercise routine from 2-3 days to 4-6 days per week and at least 1 hour a day. Although I eat a pretty normal diet, I would like to juice fruits and vegis more and be more disciplined with meal planning so that I can stop eating by 7 P.M. every night. Short term goals include a weight loss of at least 2 lbs per week (8 lbs per month) average with the long term goal of 96 lbs by the end of 2009 causing me to reach my total (long term) weight loss goal and actually surpassing it. I look forward to you sharing what your goals are for the New Year 2009. Happy New Year and may you reach your goals!!!

219p.gif219p.gif27599.jpg

I don't have NY goals but I have a running list that I update periodically. Here's the current list:

1) To give my inner "skinny bitch" a body that matches, just like she deserves.

2) To live into my 90s as one of those cantakerous little old ladies with 10x as much energy as the youngsters I run circles around

3) To go swimming with my daughter and stop making excuses every time she asks because I don't want to deal with the bathing suit in public

4) To complete a triathlon

5) To be at least a size 10, maybe smaller, and to shop in regular stores and not just the fat old lady department at Macys

6) To no longer be clinically obese

7) To get down to 135 (re-evaluation goal)

8) To complete my 2007 taxes before the 2008 taxes are due

1. To be happy

2. Be kind and understanding towards others and myself

3. To be alcohol free

4. Be more diligent with my weight training and exercise

5. Lose more weight ofcorse

This is a good idea...thanks!

Goals for 2009

1) To lessen the focus on myself and think of others first remembering people are fragile just like me and need compassion.

2) To exercise 3-4x a week, including yoga and cardio.

3) To get under 200 lbs. by March

4) To get off blood pressure meds by March

5) To swim with my daughter with just a bathing suit, no cover ups or hiding and no excuses this summer!

6) To work 4 days a week at a job I love/like with nice people and good salary in a helping capacity.

7) To volunteer for a good cause by end of January

8) To meditate for 20 mins a day and have a more peaceful mind.

9) To eat only when I'm hungry and never anywhere besides the table.

10) (long term): To be in a size 10/12 by June 09!

11) Pick up a creative hobby..

12) Have more friends

13) Long term: To be content

I have a lot, but here is one... by 2010, I should never have to shop at lane bryant again!! I'm already very close, so I just have to keep at it.

I am so PROUD to say that today at Torrid I bought myself a size 16 pair of SKINNY JEANS!!!

I also want to have a lot of SEX in 2009!!! (2008 was a bummer of a year in that department!)

I would like to be more dedicated to my gym time too. I would like to go 6 days a week, but there is no reason in

the world I can't go at least 5 days a week.

I would like to lose 15 lbs by Valentines day. I am not sure if this is possible, but now that the holidays are over, no more snacking!

Great thread, and some good ideas reading others!

1. By Dec 31st 09 to have finished at least 5 of the zillion half-done craft projects cluttering my house.

2. By Dec 31, to have found a new job.

3. By Dec 31st to be at goal weight and size - to do this, I have to a)become more vigilant about drinking my water; :tongue2: continue to maintain my exercise a minimum of 4 times/week, and c) watch the snacking in measured/weighed amounts

4. By Dec 31, make a significant dent in my accumulated financial debt...that means, putting away the credit cards unless for a true Emergency

Tapshoes said: 4. By Dec 31, make a significant dent in my accumulated financial debt...that means, putting away the credit cards unless for a true Emergency

Whoops..forgot one.....stop avoiding my financial debt! Only use CASH and cc for emergency! Good one for all of us this year Tap probably!

1- like to have my farm house completed in it's remodel

2- get my house organized - trying to de-clutter; go minimalist if possible..ha

3- continue on with fitness goals

4- start school next wk (2nd career - LOL) - only 2 courses & would like to take a full schedule in the fall

5- be fiscally responsible, and learn more about our finances. i leave all that to DH and i have no idea about investments/bills/etc....bout time i learn

6- enjoy my friends & family more

7- i turn 40 this yr, and am excited - not scared to age knowing i'm much more healthy now...

My New Years Goals

1) To spend as much time as I can with my family.

2) To find another job that will allow me to be off on Sundays so that I can go to church with my kids.

3) To not procrastinate.

4) To get the family finances in order and to start the snowball process of paying off debt.

5) To be under 200 pounds by my 45th birthday in May and be under 175 by Christmas Eve.

Those are my top 5 for the year!

To not buy any new comsetics, lotion, perfume, shower gel, make up, etc until I use up all of the half-full bottles that I have cluttering up my bathroom cubbards.

Oh wow that is a good one for me too!!

I'd like to be in the 200's by 2-9-09 that's when I turn 40. It probably won't happen but I'm gonna try like heck.:tt2:

Hmm, this is the first time I've actually thought of this

• Primarily I want to reach my target weight. I was banded in this past April and have lost 110 lbs. I have 70 more to go. I think I can do it.
  • I want to learn to save money, get my finances under control. I was very recently diagnosed with ADHD and am hopeful that the proper treatment will address some of my more extreme problems.
  • I want to take up running. Today I was able to jog 13 minutes - this is a new record for me.
  • I want to encourage my family to become more healthy. I want to help my mother and sister lose weight. My mother will probably get lapband. My sister would lose all her weight if she could just stop drinking sodas.

Excellent topic, by the way.