Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perth Bandsters - your stories & successes

Hi all I was banded on March 30th 2008 by Tony Keirath, hes great, he has given me back my life, I feel great and confident now its not funny. I started at 95kgs and I am now at 67 kgs, I ony have two more kgs to go. But I am not to worried if I get there as I am pretty happy where I am now. let me know if anyone organises a get together some time soon.

I was banded on 18th november 2007 by Tony Keirth, have gone from 102kg to 54kg and maintained for 7 months so far, and will keep maintaining. Anyone had good plastic surgery results , who ,where, how much. Hope to cathchup with fellow banisters in Perth soon

slimmy,

I'm having a torso lift in April with Dr Allbrook. Will let you know how I go.

slimmy,

I'm having a torso lift in April with Dr Allbrook. Will let you know how I go.

Thank you, will await to here how you go, all the best.

I was banded on 18th november 2007 by Tony Keirth, have gone from 102kg to 54kg and maintained for 7 months so far, and will keep maintaining. Anyone had good plastic surgery results , who ,where, how much. Hope to cathchup with fellow banisters in Perth soon

:frown: Tony was my doc too - fab guy! Last time he saw me was at my 'goal weight' of 65kgs back in August before I moved over to Italy.. I'm coming back to Perth in April, I think he will be surprised as I've dropped another 13kgs since i left (oops) I was paranoid and wouldnt let him loosen my band before i left - cant wait to come have a loosening!

Plastic surgery.. I had some friends have skin removed etc - they actually got to claim it on health care too - i can try find out more. Another friend of mine went to Thailand to do all his surgery and he had some GREAT results with a low cost... what are you thinking of?

:thumbup: Tony was my doc too - fab guy! Last time he saw me was at my 'goal weight' of 65kgs back in August before I moved over to Italy.. I'm coming back to Perth in April, I think he will be surprised as I've dropped another 13kgs since i left (oops) I was paranoid and wouldnt let him loosen my band before i left - cant wait to come have a loosening!

Plastic surgery.. I had some friends have skin removed etc - they actually got to claim it on health care too - i can try find out more. Another friend of mine went to Thailand to do all his surgery and he had some GREAT results with a low cost... what are you thinking of?

I definately needs arms doing skin even piled up at my elbows, my tummy just the lower section has excess flab, the tops of my legs and bottom have heaps and heaps of saggy skin, my boobs could do with a lift, dont know if i would do a boob job as apparently only lasts 15 to 18 years, a few friends have had a boob job, but ah just a boob lift,small bras come in such nice sets,and so so much cheaper than i was use to paying,i have seem some lovely body suits,but none padded,and i need padding mainly to give me shape, not just droop, yes please let me know costs, doctors ,results,etc. as definately want to look into.---------even if another loan needed,something i said i would never do,but if it makes me feel good about myself ,gosh what the hec.

Hi Everyone - Progress Update....

Banded by Kevin Dolan in November 2008.

Nearly 5 1/2 months later and I have a 21kg weight loss.

Gone from 122kg to 101kg.... NEARLY double numbers. Roll on weight loss.

:tt2: Tony was my doc too - fab guy! Last time he saw me was at my 'goal weight' of 65kgs back in August before I moved over to Italy.. I'm coming back to Perth in April, I think he will be surprised as I've dropped another 13kgs since i left (oops) I was paranoid and wouldnt let him loosen my band before i left - cant wait to come have a loosening!

Wow Thailand I didnt think it would be safe. Do you know what kind of savings are made by going overseas I really want work done but I know it will be a long way off as it would be selfish of me to expect so much money for myself when there are so many other things we could spend money on. I need an full body lift my butt reminds me of a sharpei dog and the rest......well Im sure you get the picture. Wouldnt swap the weigt loss for anything though I love it.

Hi there

Well was banded in november and had about 4 fills but havent lost any since the major drop of the band going on been to surgeon and am like wtffff but yea dunno wots going on had to have the fill under xray gettin pretty annoyed and dont eat heaps of junk so dont know whats going on. glad to see u all having good success.. how much can you all eat now

Hi everyone, I was banded in December 07 by Dr Watson at St John of God. I've lost 42 kg so far, although I stalled for about 6 months after a minor operation last October and have only really started to lose again in the last 6 weeks. I'm still really happy with my progress though - I have a way to go but I can believe that I will get to goal one day.

Leashie: The fourth fill for me was the first one where I started to feel any restriction at all and it wasn't until the 5th that I really knew what the band was all about.

Hang in there and it will happen.

I still don't have my band very tight. I have 6.5 in a 10cc band, but can usually manage a cup of food at a time, depending on what it is. Some foods are harder than others but I like being loose enough to eat just about anything if I'm careful.

Do you track what you eat on something like Fitday.com or the Colorie King? I like the Calorie King best as it has all the Australian brand names and measurements. Here's a link: CalorieKing.com.au Diet Diary - weight loss control. Record your calories - food & Exercise Diary

If you haven't done that, it's definitely worth a go. It can be quite eye-opening to have to account for every mouthful and see how it all adds up. Some things are surprising too - for example, I discovered that a yummy and filling Breakfast of a poached egg, 100g baked Beans (half a small tin) and 100g of mushrooms in butter sauce (half a small tin) was only 187 calories, whereas a small bowl of Special K with a cup of low fat milk was 233 calories!! Guess which one I eat now?

Other things add up too - it doesn't take much of the "wrong" things to add a huge calorie load onto your day. On the other hand, you can eat most fresh vegetables by the bucket load and not rack up too many calories. After using this tracker for many months now, I have been able to adjust my eating habits so that I can still have reasonable quantities of food but not blow my daily "budget" of 1200 calories.

Edited by Fanny Adams

Hi all. I am booked in with Dr Dolan at Glengary on 16th June. He didn't mention anything about Optifast dieting before surgery...is this normal? Also just had ultrasound today and she said i have a fatty liver. Has anyone else had this? If so what did you have to do??:smile:

weight.png

Edited by Angela72

Hmmm... My understanding is that the purpose of the Optifast diet is to reduce the size of your liver, to make the surgery easier. If you've been told you have a fatty liver, I think you should check back with your doctor about the advisability of doing it for at least a week or two before the surgery. Even if the doctor says you don't have to do it, it can't hurt and it does give a good kick start to your weightloss. Also, the pre-op time is usually the one time when you can stay really motivated to diet. There have been cases where the doc has gone in and had to back out again without putting in the band, because the liver is too big for him/her to safely get around.

Angela my Dr showed me 2 lapband surgeries one with a fatty liver and the other after Optifast, and the fatty liver surgery was quite difficult as there was a lot of moving the liver around to get to the stomach which also meant a slower and more painful recovery. I would do the optifast just for your own recovery.

Hi

I had my surgery with Dr Dolan at Glengarry on 5 June. He said it was important to do the Opti-fast to help shrink the liver (and stomach). I lost 4 kilo in ten days on Opti-fast and honestly didn't feel that hungry.

I also had a hiatal hernia repaired during the surgery and that was quiet painful, so I'm unsure how well I would have recovered from just having the band done. But four weeks later, I'm feeling pretty good and have lost 11 kilo and hope to be able to up my exercise a little now the hernia isn't causing any pain.

I'd love to hear how anyone else around the 4 - 6 week post-op is going and find out what sort of things they are eating. I'm just so glad to be off the mushy food and introducing foods back in to see how they go (the home made pizza felt a bit "stuck" this evening - got to eat slower I think).

SW: 125 k

CW: 114 k

Goal: 75 k

Hi Everyone

Thought I would update! I was banded by Dr Dolan in November 2008 and so far I have lost 25kg. I have a 12ml band and I think I have about 10.5cc in it. I love my band and the control it has given me back! I cant eat much, normally 1/2 cup of food, but it took me a very long time to get restriction as my doctor didnt want to fill up the band too much.

Hope everyone is having success.

xo