Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting the holiday detox early, anyone wanna join me?

Well, the thing is, the 5DPT isn't really for "new bandsters". It is for people who have already advanced beyond the post-op diet progression back to solid foods as set forth by their doctors. It is short-term kick in the pants to help regain control and set you back on the path. Maybe the nay-sayers are under the mistaken notion that the 5DPT is supposed to "shrink" your pouch. While the website says that the test can help you "return to that tight newbie feeling," I can't find anywhere in the site that claims it actually shrinks the pouch. What it DOES say, over and over again, is that the Test is a way to get back to compliant eating and to become more aware of your pouch again. And who could possibly have a beef about that???

Some quotes from the 5DPT site:

"(Patients) report their pouch does not feel the same tightness as it did early post-op when the pouch was new and they were compliant with the prescribed way of eating. When patients do the 5 Day Pouch Test they are most often surprised to feel the pouch again simply by returning to the way of eating that worked in the first place after surgery." (from the FAQS)

"If a person is feeling out of control with their eating, feeling like they have failed at weight loss surgery and gaining weight then drastic action is necessary. This plan allows that individual to take control in 5 days and exchange destructive eating behavior for appropriate eating behavior that results in feeling good and weight loss. In addition, those who started the plan feeling hopeless and desperate come away with new confidence in their ability to work their surgical weight loss tool." (from the FAQS)

I'm sorry you got jumped on over at OH. It's an awful feeling to have your excitement over finding something helpful and wanting to share it with others stomped on. But if it reaches even one struggling person who decides to give it a try, it was worth it!

I'm sorry you got jumped on over at OH. It's an awful feeling to have your excitement over finding something helpful and wanting to share it with others stomped on. But if it reaches even one struggling person who decides to give it a try, it was worth it!

i can't stand OH!

i went there when i was first banded and it lasted a whole 2 days - bunch of sanctimonious individuals if you ask me.

i did the pouch test to:

1 - see if i needed a fill - which i don't

2 - cut my portions down - which it did

i told my dr what i was doing and he thought it was a great idea to get back to the basics being over a yr out. he thinks the worst case is to get a fill and become too tight - so this "hooey" worked in my book.

anyway.....i'm still doing a Protein Drink a day.

last night i was CRAVING a Peanut Butter & jelly sandwich (odd) - so i made a Protein drink with soy vanilla protein/pb/tsp of raspberry jam. i gotta say it might sound gross - but was so yummy.:thumbs_up:

I lost 4 lbs since last week. I am not doing the pouch diet because I am still new, I am on regular food though,but tomorrow I go for my fill and then I have 2 weeks of liquids, so hopefully that will help me.

Guest Leslie2Lose

anyway.....i'm still doing a Protein drink a day.

last night i was CRAVING a Peanut Butter & jelly sandwich (odd) - so i made a protein drink with soy vanilla protein/pb/tsp of raspberry jam. i gotta say it might sound gross - but was so yummy.:thumbup:

OMG Luluc - I want one and want one NOW! :glare: I have the vanilla and natural PB - I have apple jelly...oh yummers...I know what my snack is today when I get home. I make a PB/Chocolate one that is my staple...PB&J...I'm salavating...:thumbs_up:

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right spot, but I figured support is support. I didn't gain over the holidays, BUT - I have been between 219 and 217 for over a month. I just got my third fill two weeks ago, but I REALLY do not feel any restriction. I can feel the food go down a TINY bit slower, but not much. I have lost about 20 pounds, but it has been over four months since surgery. Just wanted to see if anyone can give me some advice?

As someone said welcome and check into this!

Hello all!

Just want to check and let you know that as of today which is day 5 for me I have lost 2 lbs on the 5 day pouch diet!

I am so happy! I am now below 250. I have been below 250 in over 2 years!! :tt2:

Thanks BBK for starting this post and giving me the kick in the a$$ that I needed!

Becky

Thank you for all of your support! Congrats!

I'm happy!

I had my first fill December 4. I lost 20 lbs prior to my first fill. Today I got my second fill. I managed to lose 1 lb over the holidays... :w00t:

Yea...I was really good until the 24th. I got back on track around January 3. That is the first time I have lost weight over the holiday. My Doc said most people gain seven lbs over the holiday...that I should be happy. I am! :thumbup:

Congrats! Keep it up!

Oh I am so mad right now!:glare: I went over the Obesity Help site an posted about the 5 day pouch diet. Some of the responses to the post was this diet is a bunch of "hooey".

I recieved a personal message from one of them on that board whom most of the posters think is the "lapband"authority that this diet was a bunch of crap and I shouldn't post something that has no basis and will confuse the new bandsters! :mad2:

I was and still am excited about this diet and was wanting to share information that I thought someone might find useful.

Needless to say I will NOT be going back to that site and posting anything anymore!:thumbs_up:

I get more information here anyway and tons more support!

Sorry I just had to vent!

Becky

Becky I hate OH with a passion, we love you here, just stay here!

Hey Becky...I am no lapband expert just having had surgery this past October. I will be fifty years old and have dieted most of my life. I just reread that five day pouch test diet plan. It just sounds like good old fashioned common sense to me! It is just getting back to basics if one has let themselves stray with foods that are not condusive to losing weight.

Good luck to ya! Never mind those naysayers...

Edited by Ruby124

Well, three cheers for the 5DPT from me.....I got my holiday gain off in a week and really feel back in control.

So F*ck the naysayers.....if it works for you, it works for you.....and it sure made me feel better!

I was spiraling back in to some very bad habits.....the 5dpt made me very conscious of my decisions again and put my head back in the game.

I'm ready to attack the last thirty pounds with enthusiasm and renewed commitment!

I was spiraling back in to some very bad habits.....the 5dpt made me very conscious of my decisions again and put my head back in the game.

I'm ready to attack the last thirty pounds with enthusiasm and renewed commitment!

OH, what a relief!! I have not been around LBT very much in the last couple of months so just reading this makes me feel so much more hopeful. I hit the ground running after surgery and then after the holidays it felt like I bounced off a brick wall. I am starting the 5DPT TOMORROW!! Thanks so much for your post and for giving me hope!! :(

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right spot, but I figured support is support. I didn't gain over the holidays, BUT - I have been between 219 and 217 for over a month. I just got my third fill two weeks ago, but I REALLY do not feel any restriction. I can feel the food go down a TINY bit slower, but not much. I have lost about 20 pounds, but it has been over four months since surgery. Just wanted to see if anyone can give me some advice?

I can identify with you, maddie....although I have had no gain, I have had no loss either BUT I know exactly why. I've stuck to my exercise (for the most part) but the eating has been out of control. Hang in there, seems like you're getting some great advice.

LULUC -- THANKS for posting the link to this thread. I had become very depressed, beating myself up for reverting back to bad habits. I feel hopeful again and I really, really appreciate you and all the other wonderful ladies for your candidness.

However, it is becoming rapidly apparent to me that ALONE is not going to get me there so I would appreciate your encouragement and your help holding me accountable. I am posting here DAILY... and since I am going to start the 5DPT tomorrow I'm probably going to turn into a big bi*&^% and no one at my house is going to want to encourage me to do anything but take a hike! :scared2: HA!!

Well I was on the 5 day pouch test and a few days in my sister's house burned and her husband, daughter and baby came to live with us for a few weeks. I contunued my excercise but I ate all day every day. My nerves were shot as were theirs. I am starting hopefully again in the morning. I need a fill but want to be back on track for a week before going in. Please pray for me and my sister.

Judging from your weight lost success...you've done really good. I would join you but I haven't even made it to firm foods yet. I think you'll be right back on track.

YOO HOO.... LULUC.... ARE YOU OUT THERE??

GIRL -- YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!

I had my daughter start the 5DPT with me today and she was not fired up about it at all so I told her about the chocolate PB cheesecake shake and she just made them for us. O M G !! She was even impressed and decided it might not be so bad after all! :scared2: LOL!

- Anyway, got in my exercise today -- combined walking and running for 40 minutes.

- 3 glasses of Water in so far

- 1 totally delish PS

I am feeling AWESOME!!

I am so pumped cause it feels so good to be back in the driver's seat. :(

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!!

YOO HOO.... LULUC.... ARE YOU OUT THERE??

i'm here southern missy :blush:

good for you & your daughter!!!!

the pouch test was a great jump start, i ended up getting a small unfill when i thought i needed a fill.....

all the BEST!!!!! i'm cheering for ya...... thanks BBK for starting this thread!