Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have not had my surgery yet but hope to be scheduled shortly after the new year. I am trying to get a handle on what and how much you can actually eat after four weeks or once you have adjusted to the band. I am scared but know that I need to get on with my life and start living. Just had a huge Christmas dinner last night and during the night I kept thinking about never being able to eat with my family again. Is this how it will be? I need inspiration. Thanks

No, that's definitely not how it will be! You'll be able to eat with your family, just not as much.

Now, I just had my surgery about a week ago. Last night I had Christmas Soup :tongue2: but next year, I'll be able to eat everything else that was there, but just not as much as I would've eaten before the surgery. You can usually eat 1 cup (max 1 1/2 cups) after surgery. This all depends on your level of band restriction. Some choose more restriction and can't eat more than 1/2 cup. I'm going to aim for 1 cup.

I fully believe food is meant to be enjoyed, but before my surgery I didn't know how to enjoy it in moderation. I have a tool now to help me with the moderation part. If I make good food choices, I can allow a little indulgence on Christmas day - to a point.

I agree with Laurenica123....the point is to eat normally, but less. My doctor said to think of "kid portions" ... his goal is for me to eat anything I ever did but in small amounts. Your fears are normal but unfounded. Sure, you'll find people here and elsewhere who have a long list of things they can't eat and that's sad for them but usually they are either too tight, or don't follow the rules of chewing etc etc. There are also many who can and do eat anything including white bread, popcorn, etc etc....just in much smaller amounts.

So don't be sad. Next year a much smaller healthy you will be at the holiday table, and you'll enjoy your meal and feel satisfied, but will eat a LOT less than you would have before :thumbup:

Hi - I saw your post and had to reply. I was banded in July (I can't believe it has been almost 6 months already!!) and have obviously (from the signature) lost 55 lbs now. And the night before I had the surgery, I cried and cried thinking that I was never going to have pie or Cookies or McDonald's nuggets or fries ever again. I felt like I was in mourning. And I guess, in a way, I was.

BUT I can tell you a few things - first of all, that simply isn't true. Since the surgery I have had all of those things - pie, Cookies, nuggets and fries. Should I have had them at all? Probably not. But it isn't impossible. The band is a tool that you have to use, but it IS possible for you to not use the tool. So you still have to be careful, but at the same time, it is not really like you will literally never eat it again.

Second, the biggest issue, and one that you just can't wrap your mind around right now because you don't have the band yet, is that you really won't WANT them the same way. I don't know if everyone has the same reaction, but I have seen enough similar thoughts on the boards that I know it is often a reaction to the band. You aren't hungry anymore. Pretty much ever. You actually have to be careful to remember to eat (really!). I have literally gone until 3pm one day and I didn't eat anything - not one thing. That is very bad and dangerous - I didn't mean to do that and it is very unhealthy. This is in no way a recommendation to do that. But I am trying to relate an extreme example to show you the point that you are often just not hungry. And when you aren't hungry at all, it is easy to pass by even really yummy food like cake or whatever. I honestly can look at cookies and think - nah, I'm just not hungry. Which is a freaking miracle in itself!

Another thing, which again I don't think is just me, I actually like healthy things and don't mind eating them at all anymore. I mean, if something unhealthy is in front of me and faster, I'll be tempted to just eat that, but if I actually get myself the healthy stuff, I'm perfectly content to eat it and actually enjoy it without going overboard. I used to hate cottage cheese. Despise it! But now, not only do I like it, I actually enjoy it for lunch. It is super high in Protein, tastes like cheese and I like to put salsa on top of it, which is low in fat, etc. It is fast, it tastes good, it leaves me full and I feel great.

You can eat about 1 cup to 1 and 1/2 cup of food at a sitting. But while that seems like nothing, it is very satisfying and filling. I wouldn't (couldn't!) eat more than that. So that doesn't seem hard or like you are starving yourself or like I have to use any self control to only eat that much. That is part of what is great about the band, that is all I WANT to eat. I eat that much and sit back feeling full and happy.

Finally, you simply can NOT understand how great you'll feel. As the pounds come off, and you feel better and better, and you realize how easy it is (you aren't hungry, you don't have to use extreme will power to not eat more or to only eat healthy food, or all the normal terrible things that go along with dieting), it is so easy to keep up with the things you should. You have so much energy. You start to lose weight and people notice. You start wearing smaller clothes and are able to buy things you couldn't before. Your clothes start to flatter you as opposed to simply hide the worst of your figure flaws. All of those things add up to feeling great and helps give you even more strength to turn down the temptations when they do come up. Even when you are tempted and have bad things in front of you, it is so much easier when you are happy and full to smile and say, nope - I don't feel like having cookies, thanks anyway!

Finally, I actually understand more about moderation. Again, should you have pie or cookies at all? No. But (as it is the holidays right now) there are going to be times - birthday, holidays, etc. - that you might actually decide to eat something high in calories or sugar or whatever. But NOW, you can actually eat one cookie with tea and walk away. As opposed to before eating four or five cookies and only stopping because you don't want to look like a pig, but knowing that you could easily eat another four or five cookies with no problem. You just don't feel like that anymore.

So, one of the biggest problems that you are facing right now is that you simply can't truly imagine what life is like after having the band. Which is understandable and frightening. I think it is a lot like having kids. I don't care how many books you read, how many kids you babysat, how many videos you watched, how many people you talked to - were you truly prepared to have kids?? Did you have at all an accurate idea of what you or your life would be like after having a baby? Of course not. You simply can't understand how much you can truly love the little things! You can't really understand what pushing a child out of your body is actually like. You can't ever grasp how completely your life changes. You can't ever be truly ready for that. I think the same is true for the band. Because you never really had a good relationship with food, you can't truly grasp what it will be like after. But I wanted to tell you the best that I can, that it will be fine. That you will be happy. That food still tastes good. That it will all be worth it. I truly believe that aside from my children and my husband, getting the band was simply the best thing I have ever done in my life for myself.

I hope that helps!

Hello to all, first posting and you have no idea how much this helps. Just to know that so many people have the same concerns that I have... and to hear from people who have the answers.:thumbup: Always having second thoughts, hope to get surgery scheduled at my appt on 1/5/09.

Hello there--

I'm like Clayverde-- I also was banded July 17 and have lost 55 lbs. I agree with everything she said. This is truly the best thing I have ever done for myself. The first weeks were hard, but once you start getting your fills, it's almost like magic. I am never hungry and can pass up sugar foods etc without any problem. I'm from the South and I even pass up PoBoys which use to be a weekly food for me. My husband still gets his, but it doesn't even bother me to have him eat it. And now that the weight is coming off--I feel great, which is something I couldn't say for a long time. I wish you all the luck I have had with my band and in 6 months I hope you will be posting a reply like this for someone just starting the journey. Happy losing and good luck--- :thumbup:

To Clay and everyone else with helpful info,

THANKS.....

This is my first post, I am considering getting banded. My first consult is next week. This topic was also one of my main concerns, but the explainations are helpful and are much appreciated.

Thanks you:thumbup:

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this site and like you I am worried about eating post op, but in a different way. I have my surgery scheduled for 1/20.. pending insurance approval. My concern is.. am still going to go on my impulsive, self defeating binges post op? When I read clayverde's reply I felt truly hopeful, that yes this is the solution I've been longing for... to be able to forget about food and not think about my next meal constantly.. to make my life not about eating but about living. I hope I am able to achieve your success... but for now you are an inspiration..

Thanks and good luck on your journey:thumbup:

I can not begin to thank all who responded. Each response has helped me so much. I hope that will be able to help someone in a few months. I am getting so excited to think that this new year is going going to be a new beginning for me and so many other people! Thanks again!!!!!!!!!:tongue2:

ClayVerde:

Thank you so much for the in-depth post!

I am being banded tomorrow (Dec 30th) at 8AM and that was exactly what I needed to read!

Way to go on your loss :tongue2:

Thanks again!

~Steph

this has been one of my main concerns about getting banded. this is actually why i cancelled my consult appt, but now i think i'm going to pick up that phone and make a new one.

thank you for the helpful responses!!

Yes, you will be able to have dinners with your family. But you will have appropriate food portions. The band is a tool you can utilize to help manage food intake.

I have holiday treats, but rather than eat two dozen of this or that...or a whole box of something else, I have measured portions, smaller plates, and servings that fit my band. I am not grazing and I do not fill deprived. I have lost 32 pounds so far and have so much more energy.

Good luck!