Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss

I have noticed over the past few weeks I am having more and more Hair loss.

I was forewarned that this may happen due to surgery and/or weight loss. Is anyone else having this problem? My hair is long (1/2 down my back) so I am probably noticing it more. It is just that my pony tail is getting smaller and smaller!

About a month ago I stated losing quite a bit as well. I started researching it and, even though it could be attributed to many things such as not enough Protein or Iron, I came to the conclusion that mine was due to surgery. I have read that 4 to 6 months after surgery with anesthesia, the body goes through this phase. I read that it lasted about 3 to 4 weeks and then new growth is noticeable. This is exactly what has happened to me.

I imagine most of the All Stars are experiencing this about now.

i was only thinking of posting this question as well. My shower wall is like a hairdresser floor. my hair is falling out in clumps. i knew i was prone to it cause it happened after both my children were born and the grow back is worse than it falling out. my whole hair line fell out and now i have spikes on the top and the back looks like a boys hair cut underneath the rest of my hair. i know after pregnancy it does stop im hoping it will stop soon cause my house is getting over run with hair......:biggrin:

I have ALWAYS been a shedder but I noticed soon after surgery, say within a month, it was getting much worse. I am still losing copious amounts of hair. What's funny tho is b/c I'm taking Biotin to help with re-growth, I've got new growth as I'm losing the longer stuff!

I'm not losing clumps but my hair, overall, is getting VERY thin. I'm hoping this will stop soon. If it doesn't I'm going to have to get some blood tests. I did finally find an Iron supplement that I'm willing to take and just started that on Saturday. I'm hoping after a few days that will start to kick in and within a few weeks, it'll get better. I think my Iron is low.

My Protein is okay, some days are better than others. But this also started when I was on strictly Protein only so I'm not sure mine has anything to do with that.

I'm really hoping it's the iron. I haven't been taking that til now. We'll see.

I had been having hair falling out pretty bad in Oct and Nov. I started taking Biotin and using a fortifying treatment and have noticed a HUGE difference. I still lose more than I used to, but its getting better. So I definitely suggest the biotin. it helped with my nails too.

I actually didn't have any hair loss until this last month or so. I thought it was because of my last two fills (and eating quite a lot less now!)

I was actually planning on getting some Biotin today. I started with lots of hair, so it's not super noticeable that I've lost a bit lately, but I want to catch it before it gets too bad. :smile:

That is strange about the anesthesia. I wonder why that is???

I started out with REALLY thick and curly hair. So now that it is falling out at a huge rate the shower walls are just like a chubaka portrait. On the flip side it has been getting easier to brush because it is thinning out a little. I feel bad for those of you with thin and fine hair to begin with and hope it all gets back to normal soon!

Where do you guys buy the Biotin?

Mine is falling out like crazy and I'm still getting the regrowth from having my baby last year. My husband actually bought me a shower drain cover today and told me to use it since he had to unclog all the hair from the shower.

Also, can anyone suggest a good chewable Vitamin that you can buy locally without having to order a special/expensive one. I take 2 Chewable Centrims but I'm not sure its enough.

Hi gang, It is true after surgery you can lose your hair. Our bodies are going through a lot of stress and many times it comes out as hair lose. I have been in the hair industry for 25 yrs and there really are some things out there that help with hair lose or regrowth. There is a product called Nioxin you can get it at and Regis salons.

i.e. supercuts, regis, mastercuts, robin todds, smart style ect. You can also look online at nioxin.com and there is lots of info there. We have a few Dr's who have sent their bypass and cancer clients in to get it. It really can help. But it isn't an over nigh thing it takes about two months to see a driffence. Hope that helps

Where do you guys buy the Biotin?

I take 2 chewable Centrims but I'm not sure its enough.

I get my [chewable] Biotin from my local health store. It's got 5000 mcg in each tablet. I take it 2x a day. If your grocery store has a nice natural foods section, check in there to see if they have it. I don't know that it would be in the pharmacy section, tho it could be.

B/c my DD is taking a multi as well, I just buy the huge bottles of kids Gummy vits at costco. I actually take 2, 2x a day. Your Centrims should be plenty. I would split the dose. Take 1 in the AM and 1 in the afternoon. You'll absorb more of the vits that way.

Are you getting enough Iron? That's been a problem for me and I'm feeling better since starting a nice liquid one (that doesn't cause constipation) about 2 weeks ago.

I just keep reminding myself that this too shall pass... eventually! The amount of hair I'm losing is really upsetting me. Tho I am blessed it's not coming out in chunks so I have no bald spots. It's just an overall loss and my hair is getting pretty thin.

Hang in there!

Ineedalapband~ I take Flinstones chewables. Nice and easy and you can find them anywhere!