Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oprah Speaks for Millions

Okay, there is so much Oprah bashing I feel I need to say something in her defense. First of all,to put the media in perspective, look at the high profile abduction cases in the country. How many people with missing loved ones who don't get the attention are saying, why not my child, sister aunt etc. Hopefully they can use some of the media's attention on the missing to help ALL of the missing. Yes it's unfair, hey but a voice is a voice. The same with Oprah. Yes she has millions (a billion actually), and yes she struggles with her weight but we should not be so arrogant to say she does not deserve to voice her struggles because she has money, because that's what we are all here doing... voicing our struggle and looking for support. It's like you are saying that she should keep her struggle quiet, well guess what, just like you, her weight tells on itself. Everyone notices when you have put on weight. No that really large sweater didn't cover it up for you and it doesn't cover it up for her!! Especially if is as significant as what she has put on. Fess up and deal with it. She is on TV folks, with millions of viewers. She needed to come forward and say yes I have put on weight because I definitely wondered when she was going to acknowledge it. The comments seem as though people are more annoyed with her success than anything else. How dare she say she has gained weight, so what if she struggle, I struggle every day no one applauds me for my struggle, when in actuality, that's what we do here on the site everyday. We encourage you, applaude you, chastise you and support you. I have gotten PM's from people saying don't give up, don't beat yourself up, you can do this. Especially when I have gained a few pounds. Don't be so arrogant to not understand her struggle. Either just ignore it if it bothers you so much or think, she is like me, despite her money and fame she is just another human in the weight struggle. Just like me, she is struggling to do something that is VERY HARD for anyone, including the rich and famous. And don't start beating me up either. I am already emotionally down (gained 2 pounds-yuck) and really don't want to be kicked:sneaky:

good point ! i mean, martha stewart has her own magazine, but she's rarely on the cover.

Yeah, but people hate Martha too. It's one of those industries where you cannot please everyone no matter what you do.

On another note, Oprah is a business not just a name and not just a show, and the point of any business, especially here in the states is to make money. She is just better at it than most of us.

Sanin, your post was wonderful and caring. What you failed to mention, however, is that the reason why so many on LBT are upset with Oprah is because of her stance on WLS. While she hasn't all out bashed it, she has made her opinion on it very plain. She clearly feels only those that did it the traditional way deserve credit and those that take the surgery option "copped out."

Sanin, your post was wonderful and caring. What you failed to mention, however, is that the reason why so many on LBT are upset with Oprah is because of her stance on WLS. While she hasn't all out bashed it, she has made her opinion on it very plain. She clearly feels only those that did it the traditional way deserve credit and those that take the surgery option "copped out."

AMEN SISTA !! You hit the nail on the head !!!

She does believe that those who did it the "traditional" way deserve credit. she made that PERFECTLY Clear on the show she did w/ Cassie , the 16 yr old who had Lap Band surgery .

She had lost about 100lbs if i remember right. Oprah did not say ONE THING to her about good job ect. there was a nother girl that had lost 100lbs w/ Diet and working out Oprah practically fell over herself praising her. EVEN Told her " YOU are a true inspiration " NICE JOB there Oprah !!!

She made it VERY CLEAR on that show how she felt and this was to KIDS !!!

Mindy

The main thing that bothers me about Oprah, other than being against WLS, is everytime she gains the weight back, she makes such a big deal about it, like it is the first time she has done it. Then when she loses it again, that is a big deal as well. It's like everything is about weight to her, nothing else is important.

Yeah, I know, it's kinda sad. However, ironically enough, there are many people who have had the surgery that feel the same way. My best friend had LB 3 years ago and right before surgery said that she was so ashamed that it had to come to this. Also, a girl I worked with had GB and wouldn't tell anyone because she was embarrased that people would think that she was a failure, because that's how she felt. She had failed to get her weight off and she didn't want anyone else judging her. My friend that got LB has not lost any weight. She is still feeling like a failure. She nearly talked me into getting GB. I didn't mind anyone knowing because I have struggled with and continue to struggle with this all of my life. I explained to people who wanted to know why I would go to such "extremes", that you wouldn't think that chemo and radiation was extreme if it would save a life. Obesity is killing so many of us and we are made to feel ashamed because we need help to fight. I feel that just like war, it doesn't matter if the person next to you is rich, poor black or white, it's still a war and we are all fighting for our lives. Oprah has self esteem issues, we are know that, but it is sad that her fear of being thought of as a failure would make her hate the very thing that can help her, and we never know who is in her ear saying you don't need that, you can do it on your own and making a buck off of her fears (her friend Mr. Greene maybe, hmmmm). I read the autobiography of Richard Pryor (Pryor Convictions) and he said that his family members supplied him with tons of cocaine and made sure he stayed high. You wonder, why would anyone, especially family members do this when they know this is hurting/killing him. Simple, when he was high they had access to his money. He couldn't account for millions of dollars gone. People will use your weakness to benefit themselves and everyone else around you wonders why you are allowing it to happen. This may be what is going on with her. I don't know, just another perspective :biggrin:-I just like this smiley!!

When I had surgery, I couldnt believe it had come to this either, but got over it quickly! As the pounds dissolve how I love the band and what it does for me, no tears here. I dont advertise it, seems others become obsessed w/my weight when they know and thats all they want to talk about,lol!

Im glad Oprah is successful, still dont like her(ideas and as show host). She gained weight, keep it or lose it, still dont care for her.

When she gets big enough and/or reaches her end(as we have to for wls) Im sure she knows her options.

Oprah said something today that finally speaks for me! "A lot of people get promoted to managerial positions because they were so good at what they did, but they suck at it [being managers]"

You know as I was logging in today I actually was thinking "Maybe oprah should consider the lap band" I mean you look at everything that's happened to her and when you think about it, it would probably be the better option for her, as for what you said about just seeing a number on the scale and having only that as motivation I totally agree - for me my health is way more important than what I look like and considering I'm only 20 I should probably be one of the people on here where vanity rules overall - thankfully I'm not

Oprah is about the best example of narcissism in our society as I have ever observed. She tries to make up for her self-perceived "flaws" by over-compensating. She shows off her "generosity" as much as possible, yet has no real connection to actual REAL LIFE. I live in Chicago; I have been watching her for years. It's all an act, and she does it to make herself more money.

The issue with her weight is HER issue. She has to deal with it the same as the rest of us. The biggest difference is that she somehow thinks that she's SO wonderful that if she "speaks out" about her issues, that it will somehow "help" all of us poor, unfortunate souls, who have nothing to live for.

I haven't watched Oprah since I was in college 10 years ago. She is a hypocrite and is out for herself.

:thumbup:Sara... I LOVE WHAT YOU POSTED... AND I AGREE 100%... SORRY FOLKS... I'VE GOT TO GIVE OPRAH A HARD TIME FOR A LITTLE BIT LONGER.. SHE'S WELCOME TO TYPE A FEW LINES ABOUT ME SHOULD SHE WISH.. :tongue_smilie:

It isn't just "Oprah bashing" going on here. She has every right to voice her thoughts and opinions, but so do we! She uses her position to influence people. I have a band, but it isn't like I don't work very hard to lose this weight! It's still a daily struggle (that I don't always win!). She has pretty much judged everyone who's been banded, by saying that WLS is a cop-out. If she has the guts to judge all of us :tounge_smile:, then I think we deserve to speak our minds as well :)!

Edited by sara7venus
omitted a word by mistake

Well, Oprah and I have one thing in common... bat wings :biggrin:) It would be nice to have a personal chef though... not so much the personal trainer, I would feel like I was in boot camp.

Her personal chef and personal trainer don't seem to be getting the job done, so while I'd love to have both, I wouldn't want hers. You know her personal trainer must cringe every time he sees her on TV since it's not the best advertisement to have your best customer gaining instead of losing.