Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oprah Speaks for Millions

For those that complain about Oprah, they seem to know alot about her. If I did not care for someone and their opinions, I would not choose to watch her show and complain about it. Once upon a time, I was against all weight loss surgeries. I had to educate myself and learn alot more to make the decisions to have the surgery. Everyday people make revelations about their lives and the choices we make. Oprah is no different, why is everyone sitting on this high horse about the lady. For those that can not stand her, I do not see why you would spend so much time on this topic. Regardless of her motives behind some of the things she does is between her and a higher power. I am just glad that someone is able to benefit from her generosity.

Who said we watch her show? You don't have to watch her show to hear about her all the time. She is all over tv and magazines talking about how embarrassed she is. I don't watch her show anymore. Like I said, she was on ET last night.

But that's exactly why Oprah's attitude towards WLS pisses me off. She is in a great position to spread the mesasge -- that diet and exercise alone doesn't work and that WLS does work and is the only tool we have right now that does work.

Even if she took NO stance on her show. I don't care what she thinks about it personally, but she doesn't have to berate it in front of millions. Could she have enough sway that that is part of the reason some of us feel we have something to be ashamed of which keeps some of us from telling people? I think so...

I agree with Tylrgurl. I just find this obsession with Oprah odd. She is not the single source of problems for the wls community. And frankly, whatever Oprah says, the viewers have a responsibility to think for themselves.

Why is she saying she can't believe it? Because that is the position many of us -- and if we are honest, most of us -- find ourselves in each time we lose weight and gain it back. Because it is horrifying to see that once again you have lost the battle. Because it is depressing. And yes, because her publics are talking about it and she has to say something.

And she is all over the place because she is a celebrity. Say something like that and everyone wants you on their show. And like it or not, there is something positive that she is doing for people struggling with weight, those who will never consider weight loss surgery.

I am alarmed by the venom expressed here. I truly believe you get back what you put into the universe and for people who want to be greeted with understanding and respect, what is going out is far different.

I certainly have my problems with Oprah, as I do with most public figures, but I don't think she earned this one. She does speak for millions when she says what she did. And for that, she earns my applause.

All the "OH Oprah is so wonderful " Oh Oprah speaks for me and for milllions makes me want to PUKE ! Seriously .

What got me starting this whole thread was the OP was about how Admirable it is that Oprah spoke out that she gained the weight back and how courageous it was of her to speak out about it that she's Normal.

Who gives a shit ! Seriously . Why is it such a big freaking deal that SHE spoke out . Im sick of people putting her on a podium because she's makes a lot of money .

If I gained my weight back and went on a TV Show talking about how i struggled with this would anyone care ? NO would anyone think i was courageous ? NO . Guess what . SOMEONE needs to CARE if you or I or someone else Does .

In my opinion Oprah does NOT Speak for Millions . She has anything and everything at her disposal. THAT is not MY life. that's not " Common" place for people.

My whole point was get someone out there to talk about WLS and weight that IS NORMAL ! She's not it !!!

The issue is not whether Oprah is wonderful, a good person or even likable. The point is that what she said resonates for people. She, like many others, feels embarrassed and disappointed because despite her fame and wealth, she is a "normal" person.

Nobody would care about you because you, presumably, are not a celebrity. That is part of what comes with celebrity. The other piece is that she has the unfortunate experience of gaining and losing weight in front of the entire world.

It sounds as though your issues with Oprah are deep and have very little to do with this. Here's hoping you can work through that.

Actually, I noted Oprah's weight gain early on. In fact as she put the weight on, I realized that with all the help she had, she still put the weight back on. It helped me realize that I needed the WLS.

Thanks Oprah!!!! 12 days away from a real life change.

My only fear is that she really secretly did have LB surgery and gained it back. In other words, I only care if it is something I have to worry about after my band.

She is a money making machine, I admire that.

The issue is not whether Oprah is wonderful, a good person or even likable. The point is that what she said resonates for people. She, like many others, feels embarrassed and disappointed because despite her fame and wealth, she is a "normal" person.

Nobody would care about you because you, presumably, are not a celebrity. That is part of what comes with celebrity. The other piece is that she has the unfortunate experience of gaining and losing weight in front of the entire world.

It sounds as though your issues with Oprah are deep and have very little to do with this. Here's hoping you can work through that.

LOL my "Issues" with Oprah are not "Deep"

I dont care one way or another what Oprah does. I can have an opniion of something with out it being an "issue"

My only fear is that she really secretly did have LB surgery and gained it back.

That is the same thing I was thinking.

I hate to be negative aboiut Oprah too but she needs to get a life and get banded. I don't know why so many people praise her for her bs and her different diet blunders. I am so proud of my son who has lost 100 lbs and prepares now to lose 70 more. I have lost 29 lbs in 5 months and thank my lucky stars that I finally saw the light and gave up dieting and learned how to eat with the bands help. If Oprah wants to lose weight and keep it off then Lapband Surgery is the name of he game.

Lets not become those surgery people that think "OUR Surgery" is the ONLY way to lose weight and its for EVERYONE ! Because its not . There ARE people who can lose weight with LIFESTYLE Changes not diets.

Is Oprah one of those people ? It does not look like it . Am I one of those people ? No it does not look like it.

I do not think that the band is the ONLY way to lose weight PERIOD . I have friends who have been sucessful with gastric bypass. Honestly I dont really care HOW people lose weight as long as they keep it off and do it in a healthy way . EVERYONE has their OWN WAY of doing it.

I hate to see those people that think THEIR Surgery is the ONLY way to lose weight. Its not true and it gives WLS and losing weight a bad name.

Its like i said before. Oprah would be fine w/ me and not have an issue with me if she would just ZIP IT about WLS or show a fair and balanced program on it .

You want to show the negatives of WLS , fine but show the positives too !

I saw a preview of one of her shows today and she is AGAIN talking about a NEW diet and exercise program she is going on. It's exhausting listening to her.

OH NOW see i was going to say i saw an interview where she was talking about how she USE to say she knew it all and had all the answers, I thought she MIGHT have redeemed herself a bit . BUT NOW .... I dont think so too much . I'll have to watch this " best life ever " thing she's got and see how she handles the weight loss stuff. But If she's already talking about another diet and its the answer i wont like it

There has been great comments on this blog on Oprah. So many people had made Oprah "godlike" but in reality she is human like the rest of us. She has been very lucky in her adult life but she just can't seem to conquer her weight problem, especially with another diet.

Anne