Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had a good cry today!

Today has just been the worst day since I was banded 1 1/2 weeks ago!

Since I went back to work on Monday, I have been suffering from the worst backaches. I'm not sure if it's related to the surgery or not, but I have never felt so terrible!

I have been happy this far about the amount of food I am eating (on mushies!), I have not been hungry or anything but it just all came to head today. All that was bottled up came out! man did it come out! first as anger, then as tears. Good thing hubby wasn't home,LOL! Bad enough that he happened to call at the wrong time (in between the anger and tears) The poor dog just wanted his dinner, and probably thought I was crazy!

And of course all I wanted to do was eat something yummy! I had a plain to eat my cup of chili and smother it in cheese and sour cream, drink Water with it so I could maybe eat another helping after that! Well funny because I was still full after that and did'nt want seconds!LOL (thank you band?)

Thanks everyone and this forum for letting me vent! :)

Just know that there are hormones in your fat cells that get released as you lose weight so you'll be more emotional than typical.

It does level off. Just breathe though it. You're doing great.

Aaaw, chin up! You'll get to feeling better soon.

Having a good ol bawl is VERY normal after any anaesthetic, Doug new to batten down the hatches on about Day 3, which is usually when it strikes me.

Re the backache - any stomach pain can commonly be felt through the back but I've also found that after any midsection trauma - after all of my 3 babies and my lapband surgery - your core muscles take a REAL beating and are not doing a great job of holding your body together. You get a lot of fatigue in them, and that can be felt as backpain too - I always got mid thoracic level back pain and an awful stitch in my side. Just keep up with your pain meds.

Hope you feel better after spewing forth your post anaesthetic misery, its a necessary part of the process.

I had one (or shall I say a couple) of those cry days as well. I had one of those days around day 4 after my surgery. But it was a weird kind of cry....one where I told my husband Thank you for loving me thick and thicker...LOL I have had a few angry days (at work especially). People expect you to bounce right back (since you are at work) but sometimes you have to ease yourself back into it. I went back to work on the Friday before Thanksgiving which gave me Friday at work to get some things accomplished. Then I had a weekend to recuperate from that day. By Monday I was about 85%, only because I caught some kind of cold/allergy/flu crap they decided to give me at the office (everyone was sick while I was gone as well). My doctor (that I work for) said my immune system will be in turmoil for a little bit (good excuse for getting me sick). The backache was worse at work because I couldn't stretch out in the recliner or bed like I could at home while out of work.

It should subside...good luck....and congrats.

Also, dont forget on the surface we may feel very excited and optimistic at the prospect of losing weight, but we are in reality saying goodbye to our old selves. Even if we havent had fancy therapy to tell us why we overeat, we're saying goodbye to those comforts and coping mechanisms too. Its a HUGE change and a very emotional one.

I had terrible back pain for 2 weeks. I went to my chiro 4 times in less than 2 weeks and that made it better. The first couple wees suck, but it's worth it.

I called my surgeon because the lower back pain was soo unbearable. He said to be sure I was getting all my water/liquids in. He suggested that the pain was more than likely my kidneys and possible dehydration. I followed what he said and drank as much Water as I possibly could and I felt better. I still get the back pain once in a while (3 weeks post-op), but I immediately start drinking and it helps.

Thanks everyone for your support! It really does help!

I figured out that I am mourning my best friend...food.

I actually came home from work early today because I just couldn't take it anymore. I know it will pass but it's still hard. I just told my hubby to stay clear for a while,lol.

I feel better already from reading all of your supportive messages! :tt1:

There is no doubt that this is a really stressful thing to go through. We work like the dickens to get our surgery, we get it, woohoo, and then we have to adjust. Everything is a little -or a lot! - different. We used to be able to eat without giving it much thought (which may be why we got so fat), and now we have to think about it, work at tiny bites, good choices, small portions and eating slowly. This is challenging! And those of us for whom food was an important emotional crutch have to deal with stuff coming up that we have smothered with food. Not to mention that we are healing from major jurgery and don't feel top notch for a while.

So...let yourself cry. It's a good outlet. You might try meditation or something to help you relax and re-center.

I'm several months out now and I find I am definitely bitchier than ever before. I get ticked off much more easily. I hope this stage passes before I alienate somebody I care about! So I will take my own advice and resume my qigong practice. It really helped me in the past.

Good luck! You will find a 'new normal' with time.

Orea

Oh, and my mom would have said to beat up a pillow or kick the crap out of a cardboard box to let out some of that anger. ;-)

I was very, very emotional as well. I would say up through the first several months it was like super long-term pms or being pregnant. Part of it was hormones being released, part of it was saying goodbye to food, part of it was saying goodbye to me as I used to be.

I find that whenever I am feeling a little uptight . . . I find a good tear-jerker of a film, watch it alone in my room and bawl my eyes out. This releases the tension in a way that allows my family to still tolerate cohabitating with me, lol. The last one I saw was called "Pay it Forward" . . . strange film but definitely a great tear jerker if that is what you are looking for :0)

Thanks girls! I am actually looking forward to going back to the gym and working off some steam, literally! maybe some kick boxing classes as well! It's true I find I cry at almost anything now! perhaps a movie or 2 would help.....by myself.....hubby doesn't like the "girly" movies anyway. :(