Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Hey Cukie........weird visit. Lots of mixed messages.

What does he mean he was surprized the band worked? And what is worse about the sleeve than people expected? I think I would ask for clarity.

Really?? Is he trying to talk you out of it?? Maybe he wants you to back out or at least to really, really think about it.

If he said lose and come back I would say he will do it. That is a very mixed message.................can't say I understand it.

I get why no band I know that is not his favorite suregery (he was at my orientation and made that very clear) but why no RNY? Is your scarring that bad??

He said RNY wasn't an option because I am "small".

He didn't say why he felt the band is unsuccessful and didn't say what he meant by people who were sleeved thought it was worse. I left very confused and didn't understand what he meant by any of it, but I was just too dumbfounded to even know what to ask him.

My scarring isn't bad at all. I have had my appendix out, a hysterectomy and I had the sigmoid colon removed. It has been several years and I have no complications from any of the surgeries. I don't know what he means to do when I go back, but he said in no uncertain terms that he would not do the surgery.

I am to follow the 1200, weigh with my primary every 2 weeks and then come back when I lose the 12. If I stall I have to fax him my food logs, and he will have Robin look at them. And he wants this 12 gone by Oct. 1.

Like I said, I am just dumbfounded. :(

you can lose the 12 way before October 1, if you follow the 1200...........

Sorry weird confusing visit.

you can lose the 12 way before October 1, if you follow the 1200...........

Sorry weird confusing visit.

Thanks for the encouragement. I really needed it today. :(

Stacey - maybe you should get a second opinion from one of the other surgeons - doesn't make sense for him to ask you to lose weight and come back if he is sure he won't operate on you. That's a long drive to just chat with him.

Hope you feel better soon Sherri - doesn't sound fun. I can't really give you any advice since I am not sleeved and haven't had those symptoms.

I'm jealous Riley - I want someone to make me dinner. I am also going back to journaling my food - I actually have to plan out the week ahead of time to show my group leader on Tuesday. We get to start eating one regular food meal a day starting Wednesday and it will consist of 4 oz Protein and 1/2 c cooked vegetables. I'll be camping Thurs-Sat and I am planning on barbequing chicken breast and having canned green Beans - bringing my new little food scale along.

I came home with a headache - my division chief can be overbearing and demanding at times - somehow every afternoon this week he has wanted me to do something and wants it right now - but I have had trouble all week reaching the people I need to get the queries so I can analyze them. ugh. I broke down and ate a Peanut Butter cup this afternoon. Going to go on another bike ride tonight to work it off.

Stacey - maybe you should get a second opinion from one of the other surgeons - doesn't make sense for him to ask you to lose weight and come back if he is sure he won't operate on you. That's a long drive to just chat with him.

Do they let you just switch surgeons? How would I go about doing that? I don't want it to seem like I am shopping around for what I want to hear, I am just really confused and depressed.

Yes they let you switch surgeons. Even facilities, like from Richmond to Kaiser. I would call them first thing Monday and tell them you are very uncomfortable with your surgeon and ask for a new one ASAP.

YOu can change surgeons a few people have done it already. Just remember that the visits are in the computer so one doc can read what the other way has written.

If you stay with Richmond Kaiser I would suggest Dr. Baggs I like him alot.

Don't get discouraged just keep pushing forward if you know what you want. Be very nice but assertive.

I don't think they would ask you to lose and to come back if something wasn't up................lose as quick as you can and than call them back earlier than October that will impress them and make them realize how serious you are.

THe 1200 will get you to goal in less than a month if you follow it exactly.

It is all good..........don't give up :-)

Good LUck Pam on the new phase in your program and Happy camping..................

I just found out today about a new class at Kaiser. Neuropsychology and weight loss. I am so interested. 300 dollar for 12 weeks.....3 hour classes. I am trying to figure out how to go.

Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing well! I've been lurking for a while and have gotten re-motivated and am BACK on the lapband wagon 100%! I've been following ALL of the rules: Protein first, not drinking with meals, no sliders, no snacking, exercising 5x a week, etc. and I feel SO GOOD!

Stacy, I'm sorry you had such a crappy visit. I would recommend switching surgeons. I was originally with Dr. Fisher also and he was too conservative for me (and I'm pretty conservative with my surgery/body) so I switched to Dr. Baggs and really like him a lot.

I plan on posting here more regularly and look forward to getting back into the groove and getting to my goal. I have several goals I'm trying to acheive throughout the rest of the year, but my biggest most exciting goal is to be 199 or less by new years eve! I lost 5.2 lbs this week and have made a weight loss chart with my weekly goals through the end of the year and I KNOW I CAN DO IT!!!

I'm excited to be motivated again, I was worried that after having the baby that I would have a really hard time getting back into the swing of things.

Anyway, hope you all have a great weekend! We're hotel-ing it up in Emeryville this weekend and are going to the Berkeley Kite Festival. It should be lots of fun and great weather!

Stacey – I would stick it out. Go back and see him when you lose the 12 pounds. I think he’s an awesome doc, you should give it a second visit. I thought the Sleeve surgery was worse than I expected in regards to the first twenty four hours after surgery. I had a massive headache and couldn’t pee so they almost re-inserted the catheter. My heart rate was elevated which has never been an issue. So the first 24 hours sucked but today things are awesome and it was so worth it. I would do it all over again (even all three surgeries) to be where I am today! Stick with it and don’t get discouraged! You can lose twelve pounds by the end of August or sooner. Show them you are serious and motivated it will go a long way!

Christine – Welcome back. Three cheers to Onederland sometime this year!!

I agree with John about the first 24hrs. But again it was the best thing I have done besides my boys and would do it over in a heart beat!

Also, I am at 189!!!!!!

Way to go Ashley! Congrats! BTW, did the pants and capri's fit???

Absolutely agree with John and Ash, the sleeve was worse than I expected but only for the first 48 hours! I think they sent me home to early as the pain was bad but after that-- all has been better than expected! I enjoy life so much more. The sleeve doesn't rule my life, I eat a very low carb diet and lots of Protein and I feel great.

I would stick with the diet and go back as soon as you loose! It will all work out!

Has anyone heard from pat, chandra, tamra, chrissy? How's April doing? I worry when people drop off from posting.

I thought of you Chris when we drove through Berkeley today and saw the Kite Festival from the freeway. My kids and I went to San Francisco for the day - I had promised to take them to the Wax Museum before school started - we walked from Pier 39 down to Ghiradelli and then back so I got a nice walk in. We ate at In and Out for lunch - I had a hamburger Protein style with pickle and Tomato - so yummy and I was actually able to eat it all for the first time in over a year - I actually felt full in both of my stomachs for the first time in two years. Having half the Fluid taken out of my band does have some advantages.

I have to do fasting blood work tomorrow morning - it is my last with the program and also an EKG on Tuesday evening.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I am gonna keep on going and see where it gets me for now!