Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

is this just my luck or have others gone through the same?

I am a little over 5 weeks post op, I am in the soft food stage. I am nauseous morning noon and night. I throw up occasionaly and can barley get in 1/4 cup of food.

I take in less then 300 calories a day and feel terrible. I get in about 30oz of water..

I have oral thrush now too, which makes everything taste bad. I have never had this before and even with medicine it's not going away (been about 2 weeks)

I feel depressed a lot now and feel like I will always be this way..

The Dr. said I could feel this way for another couple months, I just don't know how I am going to manage, I can barely function at work I am so tired and nauseous.

has anyone else felt this way ????

p.s was at the meeting on Saturday but did not get the chance to say hi afterwards. only person I recognized was John. Hopefully will meet some folks at the next one

thanks for listening

Sherri

Sherri,

I am so sorry you are going through these struggles. I think your calorie count seems about like I was at during that stage but the nauesa and thrush seem horrible and I don't recall hearing those experiences before. I wish I had more advice but I am sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers.

Alison

Hi Sherri,

Sorry that you’re having so much trouble. No nausea or thrush for me other than some nausea when I take my multi Vitamin on an empty stomach. I now make sure to take the multi vitamin soon after a meal. Your food and liquid intake sounds very similar to what I was doing around that time. I still have trouble some days getting in 60 oz of liquid a day. The first three months I threw up several times a week. Five months out I can only eat ½ a cup of some foods.

You will get tired from time to time and my doc said it can take a year to get your full strength back.

I’m sure over time (hopefully soon) things will get better! How is your weight loss?

Sorry we missed you at the meeting!

Sherri~I am banded and I occasionally feel nautious and have weekly bouts of vomiting. It does get better. I have to pay close attention to what I eat. Sometimes the vomiting is because I didn't chew properly. Other times it's because I ate one dang bite too many. I can eat about a cup with no probs. I need to cut some carbs and eat softer foods though. Otherwise, I'm doing well. I am still happy with my band and loving the new body..... Lots of luv....

How is everyone? Hope all are well............

Hi Sherri, while I did not have the nausea, I did have the thrush, and there is a thing called "magic mouth wash" that your Dr. can have ordered at the pharmacy. It cured me in 2 days. Also to get more liquids, use Popsicle they are 2 oz each and easier to go down. I hope that helps. You also might want the prescription for Reglan (helps with nausea I heard)

Sherri you poor, poor thing! That sounds terrible - something's amiss. Stay in touch with Liz, hopefully she'll have some ideas for you. The case managers know more than the docs about what's worked for other people. I do still get naseous occasionally, but not to the extent that you describe. My naseau is related to hormones, and yours could be too - does it feel like morning sickness? Estrogen is stored in fat, and when your body starts losing fat rapidly those hormones are circulating around your bloodstream like crazy. For me, progresterone (in the form of a Mirena implant) has taken care of the bulk of the problem, along with my horrid bleeding problems (sorry John!) If any of this sounds like it could be spot-on, call your ob-gyn nurse practitioner!

As we all know, hormones also affect your emotional health. Add that to the other emotional changes we experience losing our best friend and coping mechanism (food), and - WHAMMO! There is not a single peep that I know that didn't have some kind of depression after surgery, different situations at different times but we all went though it. If you've been treated for depression before, see if you can get a refill to help you through this. It's not worth feeling crappy!

thanks everyone for your support. It was good to hear that my food/water intake is on par with what everyone else was at my stage.

ash- I have been using the mouthwash or swish and swallow for about 2 weeks now.. no change... I have an email into the dr to see if there is something else i can use

Riley- my hormones are really messed up because Tom has visited me once before surgery and 3 times since so I do have an appointment scheduled with my ob. Thanks

John- I lost 36 lbs pre-op and 27 post-op, it has kinda stalled the last few days, but I am not complaining

monique & ali- thanks for the encouragement :(

I hope to get a chance to meet all of you at the next meeting

I just got home from Dr. Fisher's. He says he is not comfortable doing surgery on me because he is afraid of complications from other surgery and because when I had a stomach flu a couple of months ago, I had to have fluids and phenergan. It doesn't make sense to me, but that is what he said. I have to stay on the 1200 cal. and get weighed every two weeks and then go back to him when I have lost 12 lbs, but I don't get why he wants to see me again.

Estogen dominance: I agree with Riley I had the estrogren stuff and still do at times. That is why I swell so bad TOM and my band gets tight. Sometimes out of the blue my body will swell really bad for weeks at a time. If I did 't know better I would think I was pregnant. But I figure out it was estrogen and could go along with home much soy I was eating. I cut back and things got back to normal.

I also had three periods the month after surgery and have been regular every since for the first time in years. I think you'll be fine.

Look up estrogen dominance that explains some of this crazy hormone stuff.

Since I am plan to lose a ton of weight her soon I am getting ready for another bout with estogen!! LOL. A progeterone is what they say works for estrogen dominance. Mirena?? Birthcontrol? What is it Riley I might need to get some of that.

If your heavy and a woman you likely have estrogen dominance is what I was told...........

Anyway I am suppose to be working............waiting for the attorneys to call me to staff this case from hell!! :-(

Sherri sorry your having such a hard time............I agree it doesn't sound right and I TOTALLY agree that Robin and Liz both tend to be better with the pratical details of what might work.

Robin has given me some great ideas that actually work and she has more time to talk...........only thing is she is hard to get ahold of.

Figure out what you need to do to feel better don't give up until you get answers...........:-)

Sherri - That's awesome!!! You'll be down to Onederland by Thanksgiving!

Stacey - Sorry to hear that. Send him an email and ask why he wants you back. Maybe there is some hope. Are any of the surgeries an option?

Edited by skiingj
fixed Onederland spelling

He said the sleeve would be the only one that he would consider and he wasn't comfortable with doing it. He even said he was really surprised that my sister in law had success with the band. And that people who were sleeved usually came back to him and said it was a lot worse than they expected. All in all it was a pretty negative visit.

Hey Cukie........weird visit. Lots of mixed messages.

What does he mean he was surprized the band worked? And what is worse about the sleeve than people expected? I think I would ask for clarity.

Really?? Is he trying to talk you out of it?? Maybe he wants you to back out or at least to really, really think about it.

If he said lose and come back I would say he will do it. That is a very mixed message.................can't say I understand it.

I get why no band I know that is not his favorite suregery (he was at my orientation and made that very clear) but why no RNY? Is your scarring that bad??

Was he not comfortable because of other medical issues you have going on? Really, if you only have to lose 12 pds that is not pad and you will do that rather quickly on the 1200 calorie diet. Do your weighins at Kaiser so they get logged into your MR.

Sherri.............That is ALOT of weight!!! I know your miserable but it almost makes it worth is I would think???

That is GREAT!! Hope your feeling better soon..........

I am banded and I still throw up sometimes. Sometimes cause I eat to much and sometimes things just don't settle right.............if I eat to much sugar I get the runs (TMI I Know) just about everytime...........sorta like band dumping I guess. But the further out I get the more my stomach is settling and not getting so upset about things............well fills and unfills cause it to flare its temper but foods no so much anymore.

It gets better............