Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

I had a great time, it was so fun meeting even more of you! I can't wait until next time. :smile2:

Thanks to everyone for all the information, it really keeps me going and knowing I am doing the right thing!

Evening all................fun day!!

Very interesting discussion today. We didn't even split there was so much going on.

Been thinking about what that lady said about the case manager "guiding" her towards the sleeve instead of the band..........I think maybe what is going on is an informal phasing out of the band not an official, Kaiser approved phaseing out of the band. Seems like the surgeons are also doing the informal thing at least at the Kaiser Richmond location. If people no longer want the band than it phases itself out.

DONNA:

you mentioned that Kaiser SSF says band is one of their most successful surgeries. So what is different about them and Richmond cause Richmond is saing the opposite. I wanted to ask that during the group ..........just didn't get to it. So what is the difference. Attitude, diet, protien shakes vs. none........different domgraphicsor a different way of keeping and analyzing stats?? Or is it the aftercar and follow up or the pre up preparation. Really would love to know the why behind that.................

Well ya know I am gonna have to do some research and ask more question at my next appointment. Another project for me to work on. I always find some interesting stuff when I start to research

Seems like emails to the docs might be annoying so I am gonna write my questions down and ask in person.

I would like the program to be straight with me though. If you say your keeping the band but than tell 90% of people not to get it..............to me that is still phasing it out. Sounds like an informal decision to phase out the band. If the case manager is saying the success rate with the band is not good I will like the stats. What is the percentage of success to failure? Is the failure slippages/errsions or simply failure to lose. How many of us are ending up in ER and why? Seriously I think we all have a right to know what "no very successful means." That is a very static term and could mean a million different things.

Makes me wonder what would be recommended for me if I were to have my first surgeons appointment today?? Is what is best for me dependant on the newest phase or what is populer at the moment?? I am guessing the more people talk the more the trens it is coming out and becoming more obvious...........and am I one of the success stats or the failure stats. Well you know I am gonna ask what category I fit in.

I really like truth and facts and solid reasons why people make the decisions they do. Nothing about me without me. I want to be part of the reasoning and decisions about my medical care whether I am a doctor or not..............all of which make me quite annoying to the medical profession I would guess!! :-P

I know Kaiser had a case conference about my issues and I told them I was driving over to be in the meeting. LOL. Ah NOT.................but I think I should have been there to have my input!! I still got the outcome I wanted but it took alot of my energy.

Ok anyone else just sorta felt weird about the huge push for the sleeve at Kaiser Richmond? Makes me wonder if having my band is something I should worry about...........................

Edited by swrktp

I sent an e-mail to Dr. Im earlier this evening asking him why they are pushing the sleeve and if they are phasing out the band. Interested to see what he says.

Hey Pam........let me know. I emailed my doc but I didn't get an answer at all. I think it is question you aske in person or that they don't to respond to in writing :-)

Some interesting things said at the support meeting today. The newer people were talking about what they are being told by the surgeons and case managers. I was just sorta surprized by some of the things they said they were told. Left me confused.

THey might still be doing the band but they are pushing the sleeve...............one lady said she wanted the band and the case manager said band doesn't have a good success rate and she should go with the sleeve. The lady said she felt kinda blind sided that they were ok with the band at first and that when it was time to schedule her surgery they were pushing the band over sleeve.

I guess a few weeks, months make a big different in what is the "best" surgery. When I had my CM appointment the same person sang the praise of banding and we 100% in support of my going with the band! Now they say it is not successful. I had surgery 15 months ago...............how things change in such a short amount ot time. Wonder what happened over the last 15 months?

I just wonder what Kaiser means or what they have seen that makes them comfortable saying the band is not a great success.

My question is have they had to remove bands? Have they seen slips or errosions in their program? That is what I am gonna ask next time I get a call or go into the office................any slips or erosions. Are they taking bands out or is it just no weight lose? Slow or no weight loss I can deal............taking bands out and for what reasons I would be concerned and want to know about.

Oh well...............that darn comment has had me thinking all day!!

Edited by swrktp

WHen I was in the ER at Richmond they said lots of bariatric patients come in to the ER.................but that could be RNY, SLEEVE and BAND. They said lots of people got unfills in ER over the winter............They probably were telling me to much since I was there for awhile and the nurses were very chatty!!

They told me I was to skinny for lap band and I was thinking how nice they were!! LOL. :-P NEver mind I have lost almost 50 pounds already!!

Tina - I think the term "lots of people" can be misleading - lots could be 20 people to them - compared to how many that have bariatric surgery?

I was told that a success in bariatric surgery is if you lose 50% of the desired weight loss in the first year. If that is the case I know of lots of successful band patients - just in our little group - Riley, Nicole L., me, you, Donna - and I am sure there are tons more. I would expect at least 25% of people who have any type of bariatric surgery aren't successful - once you factor in the psychological aspects of weight loss and the reality of none of them being miracle cures - only tools.

I have to make a return trip to Penny's today to exchange three things - darn it. I accidentally grabbed briefs instead of hipsters of my daughter's underwear. I am going to check out the Penney's in Lodi though as it is a stand alone store and the Arden area will not doubt be crowded with the Fair going on.

I went to Arden yesterday and it was very crowded. I wanted to go to the fair today but my daughter doesn't want to go and it doesn't get expensive. I think we are headed out to the river instead...........

I agree "alot" is a relative term. 20 out of thousands is nothing........the nurse really didn't know anything about bariatric surgery cause I am overweight still and she thought I didn't need a band!! LOL. Of course I do and I would hate to have that extra 50 on me still!!

I ended up eating my veggie burger after three meals yesterday. LOL. That lunch lasted me all day long...........:-)

I was suppose to work on call today but my daughter begged me not to. So we are headed out on a girls day!! :-)

I know when I met with Dr. Baggs he said that the band is considered a success if someone has lost 50lbs...but that most people don't lose anymore then that. He also said it is a lot more work and with the other surgeries you simply cannot eat vrs. with the band you can, and you can easily cheat so it is more the person controlling the band that will work or not. I think they are pushing the sleeve more simply because it is a lot less work as far as appts...fills and unfills. It is also easier to lose and at a much faster rate.

But who knows...I was surprised cause I had not been told about the sleeve prior to my meeting the doctor and he recommended me to do it. Since I need to lose more then 50lbs and apparently most people don't lose much more then that with the band. Now...I plan to be the execption and to lose a whole lot more. HAHAHAHA

Sounds like I missed some good conversation yesterday! :bolt:

My son's basketball tourney went longer than I expected and since I am his biggest fan I didn't feel right leaving. His last year of high school so I am going to enjoy every moment.

My thought is that when the sleeve became available last year Kaiser was not pushing it due to there was not much history and stats on its sucess. Now that its getting close to a year of offering the procedure they are seeing good results, happy patients, and much less follow-up than the band. I think the RNY is still thier procedure of choice just because the long history of sucess. That is all just my theroy anyway! lol

It's my 3 month mark tomorrow and I think this is the first weekend that I have felt I could eat anything I wanted and the quanity is way more than before...weird how overnight it changed. So my challenge will be to not give in and stay on track. I have lost over 70 pounds since starting this journey at the end of January! I feel terrific!

Aren't they suppose to call us for a 3 month group appointment?

Ali, Sleeve patients do not go to the group appointment. Robin will advance your food and any issues will be discussed with your surgeon at your three month follow-up appointment. Write down your list of any questions that you may have. :bolt:

Becca - are you still getting banded? At least 4 of us in our group have lost over 50 lbs - Riley has lost at least 100, Nicole lost over 50, I have lost 80, Tina has lost over 50 and I believe Donna has too. So it can be done. It doesn't come off as fast as the other surgeries but that has its benefits too. You can cheat all three of the surgeries - so in the end it is up to the person to be dedicated and follow the plan.

I found some great deals at the Lodi Penneys - and when we got home I found out the guy who checked us out didn't put the two packs of underwear in our bag - jeez - I called them and the first lady knew right away what I was calling about and said they would hold them for me - I said gas to drive from Elk Grove and back would almost be as much as I paid for the underwear - after I spoke with the manager she said she will mail the to me. If something like that is going to happen, it will happen to me. I'm still drying clothes and can't go to bed until this load is done. - wah I wan't to go to bed.

Yup Pam I am still set on the band. I know it can be done and I would just need the tool to help me out. You guys are such inspirations to see...thank you all :bolt:

Hey all, sorry I could not make it to the meeting! Issues and all with babies and vehicles lol! Anyways lets plan a meeting for walking the wetlands or something! I know I'm gonna check out the support group for Lodi because it's not that far from me. Oh and gues what!!!!! I weighed in at 190 this AM and i am in a size 14!!!!! I love this :bolt: and even though I am loesing this weight at a good pace, I have no lose skin so far! My only issues is my prego belly that I got from the babies. I'm uploading a new pic for my avatar too!

ok just uploaded an album too!

Wow Ash! You are doing fantastic! I am so happy for you!!!