Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed my band - SUPPORT GROUP

I posted this is another thread, but this seems like the right place to post:

Hello everyone -

I haven't posted here in ages because I fell off the wagon for awhile. I had surgery in June of 2009. At my lowest weight, I was hovering around 206-208 (my pre-surgery weight before liquid diet was 286). In July of this year I was back up to 258 :-( and totally depressed. I've gotten back on the wagon and I'm back down to 229. I'm working with a practitioner/trainer for my workouts. He reviews my food logs every week and also does body compositions every six weeks where he checks skin folds to find out my lean mass vs fat mass. This is much more helpful to me than BMI and I'm having success (I've lost about 25-26 pounds in the last 6 weeks). I'm getting married in a little under 2 years and I REALLY want to be in the best shape of my life. I'm starting to feel better already.

Looking forward to getting back on this site for support and TO support others!

I posted this is another thread, but this seems like the right place to post:

Hello everyone -

I haven't posted here in ages because I fell off the wagon for awhile. I had surgery in June of 2009. At my lowest weight, I was hovering around 206-208 (my pre-surgery weight before liquid diet was 286). In July of this year I was back up to 258 :-( and totally depressed. I've gotten back on the wagon and I'm back down to 229. I'm working with a practitioner/trainer for my workouts. He reviews my food logs every week and also does body compositions every six weeks where he checks skin folds to find out my lean mass vs fat mass. This is much more helpful to me than BMI and I'm having success (I've lost about 25-26 pounds in the last 6 weeks). I'm getting married in a little under 2 years and I REALLY want to be in the best shape of my life. I'm starting to feel better already.

Looking forward to getting back on this site for support and TO support others!

Hey Violinist. I too am getting married in a year and a 1/2 and want to be back down to my lowest weight which was 220. I'm back up to 289 (300 lbs being my starting weight) and have really been pushing myself to get this weight back off. I have 0 restriction so it's all on me. I could really use a mentor through all of this. Hope you don't mind if I message you from time to time and see how you're doing. Take care.

I am in the same boat I was banded on 05/25/2010 and have only lost 25lbs I was doing really well at first but now it seems that I want to eat all the time and so I have been eating the wrong foods. I just started excerising which I should have done a long time ago so if we can help each other that would be great I plan on going the gym 4day this week. I will do it

Hey Violinist. I too am getting married in a year and a 1/2 and want to be back down to my lowest weight which was 220. I'm back up to 289 (300 lbs being my starting weight) and have really been pushing myself to get this weight back off. I have 0 restriction so it's all on me. I could really use a mentor through all of this. Hope you don't mind if I message you from time to time and see how you're doing. Take care.

This would be awesome! I'm not sure if I'm really a mentor, but we should definitely support each other - it will help us along the way and keep things honest! Before I stopped posting on LBT, I was doing so great and I think it had a lot to do with the message boards and chat room keeping me accountable. I also stopped blogging (which I've started again!) to help myself stay on track. So yes, lets definitely be a support for each other! Message me anytime!

Also congrats on your engagement! We're going to be beautiful brides! Cant wait to lose the weight and go dress shopping!

I am in the same boat I was banded on 05/25/2010 and have only lost 25lbs I was doing really well at first but now it seems that I want to eat all the time and so I have been eating the wrong foods. I just started excerising which I should have done a long time ago so if we can help each other that would be great I plan on going the gym 4day this week. I will do it

Hey you should join a thing like I'm doing - where you have a trainer who helps you with your food logs and creates an exercise program for you (and creates a supplemental exercise/cardio program for the days that you don't do personal or group training). That way, if you stop showing up, someone will be on your back! Its good for those of us who don't have the discipline to just go to the gym on our own. The hardest part for me was making the call to setup the initial consultation. And it was REALLY hard lol. But now I've gotten into a groove and its WAY easier (I still don't like it, but I definitely don't avoid it).

I'm so glad to find this forum! I have failed my band, and myself. I was so embarrassed by my lapses that I actually thought of creating another username. I'm glad there's a place where I can talk to people who've been where I am and can relate.

I was banded in August 2003 by Dr. Richard Carter in Arlington. Everything went well, I lost weight, things looked good. I'd lost about 67 pounds when, in March 2004, my band was overfilled, and due to a kink in the line connecting my port to my band, Dr. Carter wasn't able to draw any of the Fluid back out. This resulted in mind-numbing pain and the need for immediate surgery to unfill my band completely. I had a fill after that in August 2004, if I recall correctly, but the weight loss slowed dramatically. I was scared, too, of the possibility of another overfill. Then my now-ex-husband and I divorced, and I found myself a single mom. Taking care of the band became a pretty low priority on my list, as what funds I had were now needed for other things.

Fast-forward to now. I haven't seen my doctor in over six years. :wink2: I've gained my weight back (although I haven't gone much over what my pre-surgery weight was - I hover right around 270, and I was 272 pre-surgery). I've remarried, and have a second son, so I've got two boys who need their mama. I'm embarrassed to have gone this long without taking care of myself. I'm scared to go back to Dr. Carter - scared that he'll lecture me for taking such poor care of my band (although I admit, I probably deserve a good scolding), scared that after all this time the weight will never come off like it did initially, scared that I'll find out something has gone wrong and I've done some lasting harm to myself or that the band will have to come out. But I have this tool that can help me. I'm not getting any younger, and I'm feeling some aches and pains that I know could be minimized if I could just get the weight off (and if a few pounds came off pretty quickly, exercising would become a lot easier, too). My boys need their mama, and my husband needs his wife. I feel the need to get myself in order, take care of myself so I can be the best mom and wife I can, and so I'll feel better going through each day rather than having to bear aches and pains that I just can't seem to get rid of.

I need encouragement right now to just pick up the phone and make that call to Dr. Carter's office. I've changed jobs and insurance plans, and I'm scared that my new insurance won't cover it. I don't have extra money lying around for out of pocket expenses. But I've got to do something. I can't keep on like this, not doing anything to improve my health.

I'm 5'1", and 270 pounds is way too much for me to weigh. I don't expect that I'll ever get down to single-digit clothing sizes, and I really don't care about that. I really don't care what the number on the scale says, either - I don't have it in mind that I'll end up weighing 102 pounds or anything like that, I don't think I'm built that way. I weighed 146 when I was 15, I was athletically built, and I'm fine with that. If I get down to 160 or 170, I'll be thrilled as long as I'm healthy at that weight. It's time for me to get back on track. Past time.

I need encouragement right now to just pick up the phone and make that call to Dr. Carter's office. I've changed jobs and insurance plans, and I'm scared that my new insurance won't cover it. I don't have extra money lying around for out of pocket expenses. But I've got to do something. I can't keep on like this, not doing anything to improve my health.

I really feel for you and hope that I can encourage you to call Dr. Carter's office and get back on track. You have this awesome tool, just sitting there waiting for you to use it.

I am really thankful for your openness and your honesty, I have not had my surgery yet, but you have helped inspire and encourage me already. I will know my surgery date next week.

I think accountability is so important and the fact that you have totally been honest about where you are right now is amazing.

I had a surprise baby in my 40's and he drives me to be a healthier me. I want to be at his ball games and not be lazy. I want to look good on my husband's arm. I want to be able to use my body the way God intended me to.

Please call Dr. Carter, I want you to be here to encourage ME, I need you. :wink2:

Thank you for your encouragement! I called. I have an appointment for Nov. 11 at 2:00 (which works well, as my office is closed that day, so I won't have to worry about taking time off work!). Right now, I'm not nervous much. Ask me again the night of Nov. 10 and my answer might be different.

Yes you can.

Hi, Thank you for your story it helps to know I'm not alone. I am stuggling I had surgery one year ago Sept. and lost 80 lbs. but somehow fell out of sink and gain 40 back and I'm so frightened that I can't seem to get back on track. Other than the fills the doctor said it's all up to me. If you have any suggestions please help, haven't really had anyone to talk too.

Hi, Thank you for your story it helps to know I'm not alone. I am stuggling I had surgery one year ago Sept. and lost 80 lbs. but somehow fell out of sink and gain 40 back and I'm so frightened that I can't seem to get back on track. Other than the fills the doctor said it's all up to me. If you have any suggestions please help, haven't really had anyone to talk too.

Hey you're story is almost like mine. I was banded a little over a year ago - June 2009. I lost 80 pounds and then gained back 50ish. :-( However, in the past 7 weeks or so (7.5ish weeks I guess) I've managed to dump 36 of those pounds. I'm feeling much better now that I'm back on track. The hardest step was starting - going back to the gym, logging back into the food log, getting back on LBT (that was REALLY hard). But it can be done! Feel free to message me or friend me on here - we can lean on each other for support!

It's good to know I am not alone, I myself am realizing I have not been as focused as I should have been. I had a bad experience with a faulty scale and that really through me off. I thought I had lost 15 lbs more than I really had and that lead me to think, WOW I could eat anything. I was wrong and am now trying to get back on track.

It's good to know I am not alone, I myself am realizing I have not been as focused as I should have been. I had a bad experience with a faulty scale and that really through me off. I thought I had lost 15 lbs more than I really had and that lead me to think, WOW I could eat anything. I was wrong and am now trying to get back on track.

Oh my gosh!! That is terrible - that would have thrown me off as well. Well, I'm so glad that you found out and you're now getting back on track!! You should join the the Thanksgiving and New Year Challenges (the links to the spreadsheets are in my signature)! Challenges help me stay motivated and on track. Anyways, glad you're back into it now!

Hi I have been trying for the past 3 months to get with the program. I was banded Dec. 11 2009, my highest weight was 300 lbs I was down to 232 about three months ago. Last time I went to my gp I gained 7lbs. Everyday I say this is I am going to do it and the the afternoon comes around and I eat things I should not be eating. I joined a gym three months ago and haven't been there yet. When I went the doctor my colestoral was up and my sugar levels Each day I start out good and before long I am a failure. I don't want to go back on meds for sugar and colestoral. I have read alot of your stories and I am grateful I am not alone. I will keep trying.

Thats really not too shabby! Some people, like me, lose slow. I've been on this roller coaster for 2 1/2 years only losing 92 pounds and its been a rough ride... although I wouldnt trade it for anything!